Sodium - should I really be concerned?

Options
kvansanity
kvansanity Posts: 108 Member
I've become highly sensitive to the amount of sodium I'm eating ever since I had trouble with bloating the past week. I'm not eating high amounts of sodium by any means. Most days I consume half of the recommended maximum. However, today it looks like I'm going to go slightly over my 2,300 mg limit by (at most) 500 mg because I'm going out to dinner.

Is that enough to make me feel groggy and bloated? Should I just sip on more water with dinner?

Replies

• MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Nobody on here can tell you how your body will react. But yes, drinking more water could probably help if you think it might be a problem
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Depends on you. for me even getting close to the daily limit causes bloating and groggy. going over at all is guaranteed misery. we've been travelling for hte last week and I've eaten out a lot. I've gained 6 or 7 pounds (I haven't eaten THAT much...) I'm planning a super low no sodium diet for a couple days to get back to normal.

some people have no issues with sodium at all though.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water (or other hydrating things, like fruits, etc.) can help reduce bloat caused by sodium. Also, an increase in potassium intake can help.

The level of sodium you mentioned is not typically considered 'high'. Usually, over 3g a day is something to avoid for otherwise healthy young adults (under 60).

Also, I've never heard of excess sodium making someone feel groggy. Are there other things going on to make you feel groggy and bloated? Hormone changes, stress, inadequate nutrition, dehydration, overworking yourself?
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Depends on you. for me even getting close to the daily limit causes bloating and groggy. going over at all is guaranteed misery. we've been travelling for hte last week and I've eaten out a lot. I've gained 6 or 7 pounds (I haven't eaten THAT much...) I'm planning a super low no sodium diet for a couple days to get back to normal.

Oh wow, I guess groggy from sodium isn't uncommon? That really surprises me.
  • astartig
    Options
    but yeah drinking more water and exercising can help move the water move thru the system somewhat. coffee and tea are also natural diuretics.

also make sure you get enough potassium. I use the low sodium salt with supplemented potassium. it does seem to help over all. I used to not use salt at all but I've found using the low sodium salt actually helps.
  • astartig
    Options

Oh wow, I guess groggy from sodium isn't uncommon? That really surprises me.

I think it makes sense. it puts pressure on your face, around your eyes and I think that triggers tired feelings. same as when your eyes get red and sore. Crying also makes me groggy. (same thing)
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    I hit like 7000mg/7 grams on some days.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I've become highly sensitive to the amount of sodium I'm eating ever since I had trouble with bloating the past week. I'm not eating high amounts of sodium by any means. Most days I consume half of the recommended maximum. However, today it looks like I'm going to go slightly over my 2,300 mg limit by (at most) 500 mg because I'm going out to dinner.

Is that enough to make me feel groggy and bloated? Should I just sip on more water with dinner?

sodium is an important electrolyte. i believe the recommended daily intake is about 3500mg.

however, it's not the only electrolyte. there is apparently a necessary balance between sodium and potassium (and even other minerals) and when that balance is out of whack, you can get water retention too. it may be that you aren't getting enough potassium in your diet.

do a google search on "electrolyte imbalance" and read up on this.
  • nsimon24
    nsimon24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others in that it depends on the individual. My daughter has VERY low blood pressure (I did too at her age) and actually has to consume more salt in summer or when active per her doctor to keep from passing out or having dizzy spells. Now that I am older, if I go over 1700 a day I pay for it the next day with bloat and generally feeling "blah" (groggy works, too). It's still not a blood pressure issue, I'm just sensitive to the stuff! Drinking a lot more water helps, but I prefer to simply keep tabs on it and avoid the issue altogether.

This article might help explain the limits and some of the issues, and who is at risk if they maintain too high of a sodium intake - http://www.cdc.gov/features/dssodium/

Hope it helps!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I do find i retain some water on high sodium days, but after a day or two it's out of the system. I find that if I eat too much sodium that I get a headache. Again depends on the individual.
  • kvansanity
    kvansanity Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    wow! thanks for all the great input ya'll! i feel much more educated now :)

going out to dinner is a struggle for me sometimes because i stress like crazy about eating things i don't cook for myself. anyways, i did go over my sodium intake but i'm not feeling too bad (mentally or physically). i just drank more tea after dinner and made sure to drink a lot of water throughout dinner.

the after dinner bloat has already seemed to go down in the past four hours. this is a huge improvement from earlier this week. for a few days i was getting a "6 months pregnant" stomach even after a small meal like yogurt and cereal. needless to say that was super stressful.