Pre diabetic

Options
Hi everyone, I have recently rejoined MFP after blood results showed I'm on the verge of type 2 diabetes at the age of 27! Pretty big motivation in itself, but looking at finding others either in similar situations or even just people to share ideas, frustrations and the journey. I have about 50kg to lose, with the goal being June 2015. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Steph

Replies

• ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi Steph,
    I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic before moving to Finland. Now I'm too nervous to go to the doctor and discuss this but I'm trying to work on my health while I work up the courage to visit a Finnish doctor (bad, I know, I should just go)

I'm happy to be friends with you - I'm older than you (39) and I want to lose a total of about 35 kilos, though my current goal is 22kg.

Let's continue this journey together, it would be great to share tips and recipes for pre-diabetic friendly living!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed pre diabetic 18 February this year 188cms and 127kgs. So far have lost 16 kgs mainly by diet and a bit of exercise. Learnt to cut out simple carbs, bread consumption dramatically cut, potatoes ( can't remember the last time I ate them), beer minimal consumption from a lot. Some simple changes, most food I prep from scratch, very little convenience food. Diary is open if you want to peek. Add as a friend if you would like.

Good luck on making the lifestyle change
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    Options
    It's great to hear people taking the diagnosis of prediabetes seriously. By changing your eating habits and getting regular exercise, you're helping to improve your health now and long-term. There are some excellent resources for prediabetes here: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/prediabetes_ES/ Some hospitals and YMCAs have programs specifically for people with prediabetes that are really helpful. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and just had that same diagnosis day before yesterday. I have no idea what percentage carbs/fat/protein I should have each day. If anyone knows that, can you share?

I'm very confused about whether I should be eating low carb. If so, how many carbs would be considered low?

Or, an I supposed to be on a low glycemic index diet? If so, what is considered low?

Agh!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that I was "borderline" insulin resistant, which I'm guessing is pre-diabetes? It's part of the reason I've started the lifestyle change.

I'm not focusing on any special diet - I'm just focusing on shedding excess weight and being active.
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    Options
    There isn't a standard amount of carbohydrate, or a specific percentage of calories from protein, carbohydrate and fat that's recommended for pre-diabetes or insulin resistance. The current guidelines recommend losing 7-10% of your weight and being physically active for at least 30 minutes per day. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When my doctor said that I was borderline, then diabetic and offered me drugs, I said no, thanks, and did my research. After seven months on very low carb, high fat, moderate protein (my daily goals are set at 5%, 75%, 20%), I've lost nearly 50 pounds, and my A1C is 5.3. I intend to stay on this diet forever, or until I croak from something else. :happy:

By the way, we don't need carbs at all. Check the research.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and just had that same diagnosis day before yesterday. I have no idea what percentage carbs/fat/protein I should have each day. If anyone knows that, can you share?

I'm very confused about whether I should be eating low carb. If so, how many carbs would be considered low?

Or, an I supposed to be on a low glycemic index diet? If so, what is considered low?

Agh!

As Lynn from Glucerna said, there is not one answer, each person will be different. I am T2 and my doctor told me that the most important thing for blood sugar control is to eat close to the same # of carbs each day and spread them out over the entire day rather than have one big carb meal. Her recommendation for me was to stay under 180g of carbs a day, which means I had to modify the MFP macros to 40% carb.

Talk to your doctor or nutritionist and see what they recommend for you.