Food or smoking?

Options
So, I have a question.... Which would you find more difficult to accept (or are both the same)?

1. A doctor who is overweight telling you to lose weight.
2. A doctor who smokes telling you to stop smoking.

We have an ongoing debate and I wanted a slightly larger community to query.

Thanks!

Replies

• fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    They are both basically the same, except that the overweight doctor may be dieting himself...
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Both are the same or too different to compare. Eating can be an addiction or disorder much like smoking. Both people mean well though, they know what they're telling you is the right way to go about things...they just can't tread that path them self.

I suppose the overweight doctor may currently be in the process of losing weight, these types of things are impossible to tell so it's best not to judge. But my goal is to get into shape BEFORE I tell people how to live their lives, I believe you have to walk the walk to support your own knowledge and research if you are to share it with other people.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I actually had an extremely overweight surgeon tell me that if I had changed my diet and stopped eating "fatty foods" I wouldn't need to have my gall bladder taken out. I couldn't believe it! I said, "wait, what? Seriously? You're telling me I need to eat healthier?" (it actually didn't sound as rude as it looks lol)
    I'm thinking either of those would be annoying. Being a smoker and fat, I think I'd be irritated by both.
  • sweetestthing
    Options
    look I am a believer that you don't always abstain from what you know is harmful...unfortunately. Doctors are human too. They are just educated to show us how we can achieve a healthier state. What they do with their own body is up to them.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You may not like my answer because it's a little vague.

I would probably be more apt to say an overweight doctor, because you can see with your own eyes that hey, this person is overweight and they're telling me to lose weight? What the hell?

But I can't say I have ever known whether or not any of my doctors are smokers. But if I did somehow know, I think this would piss me off more because at least with weight, it is really hard to compare the health of two different people. One person could weigh less, but look heavier because of the way they carry their weight. One person could actually weight more, but be healthier than another person but smoking is bad for everyone.....still a tough one to decide.
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I had an overweight Natropath telling me what I need to do to lose weight and tried selling me some of her products haa!
    I think the Overweight is the worst....
  • aceyfz
    aceyfz Posts: 2
    Options
    I would consider both to be the same. Everyone's situation is different, as well as the paths that got them there.

Knowing the path and walking the path are definitely two different things.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think what irritated me most about the surgeon was his tone. It was condescending and rude.