Giving up dairy.

Options
amandaj1966
amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
I suffer from Asthma and have heard that giving up dairy can help so can any one advice me. I need advice in what to replace dairy with. I do eat quite lot of cheese as I'm a vegetarian so feel that if I give up dairy I would be getting closer to being a vegan which is a path I don't really want to take.
Has anyone else given up dairy and what's the first steps you've taken.
Many thanks. xx

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You can use daiya cheese....honestly never heard of cheese affecting asthma though.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    What is it that you are looking for in terms of replacing it with something? Sources of fat? Sources of protein?

If you can be a bit more specific you may get a bit more help out of the thread.
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I was looking for advice to dairy free milk etc and yes advice on protein. At the moment I get protein from cottage cheese, tofu, nuts so I was really looking for ideas for replacing milk, cheeses, cream with substitutes. xx
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    The only way getting rid of dairy is going to help asthma is if you have an allergy to dairy. Otherwise, there really isn't much science that supports the idea. Lots of myths though.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I recovered from asthma by running, and using yoga breathing techniques. This may not work for you. I'm surprised it did for me. I eat some cheese, but never use milk. Losing weight helps also. Hope this helps.
  • Ryncore
    Ryncore Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had to give up dairy, I replaced my milk with unsweetened almond milk which is very yummy. Also there's pretty good butter substitutes out there, and a lot of coconut milk based things to use (or soy). Coconut oil can be used in place of butter too. As far as cheese, I hated the daiya and never found a good cheese substitute, but I'm VERY picky with cheese!
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have asthma as well and stopped dairy for a bit. Idk if it had much effect for me. I know Tofutti makes sourcream and creamcheese which are both really good. They also make dairy free cheese which is great. Goodluck