Is there such a thing as a cheap diet?

Options
jwilson812
jwilson812 Posts: 16
I love eating healthy, but it seems like all of my spending money goes to my diet =/ I have found that eating not so healthy (but cheap) foods are kind of okay as long as I eat them in moderation and work out at least 4x a week, but I feel like I'm cheating the system. Does anybody know of any alternative foods that won't be so heavy on the pockets?

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    watch the flyers for sales

buy dry goods in bulk if you can

frozen veg are a good healthy alternative to fresh if you find yourself tossing a lot of fresh veg because you don't eat it up soon enough so you could buy smaller amounts of fresh for your salads and such and use frozen for steamed veg sides

plan your meals so you know what to buy for the week, less work, less waste and helpful to keep you on track

it really doesn't need to be costly if you plan your shopping and buy only what you need...leftovers for lunches are work are great
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of greens and legumes. I grow greens in my garden but they can easily grow in a pot. Chard is the easiest. Kale is easy in cool weather. We also have a produce store in town that gets "seconds". Much cheaper than the chain stores. I'm sure other cities have similar.
    Eating less eat, more dried beans and lentils ( I buy from bulk bins, and zero processed foods keeps our grocery bill quite low.
    I can get a whole cart full
    Of produce for $40. A cart of other, more processed foods would probably be over $200..
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Produce when in season tends to be cheaper than when it isn't so we are coming into a good time for the fresh produce. Things like chicken breasts are cheaper when you can buy a larger bag of them. Often in the freezer section. Eggs are usually a good bet, too, and you can make a healthy omelette using the leftovers in your frig.

Do you have room to plant a small garden? Or get a plot in a Community Garden if you are a city, apartment dweller. You can even grow a lot of produce in containers. I used to plant a garden that was only 4' x 20'. I had beans that I grew going up poles. The same with cucumbers. I grew zucchini which you can cook a million ways. I always had a few tomato plants, too.

However, I, too, don't always eat what people would call "clean." I like a $2.19 Grilled Steak Soft Taco from Taco Bell, or an Arby's etc. And I eat a lot from the Steak n' Shake $4 menu. I'm just careful with my choices like getting the veggie soup instead of the french fries. I eat out all the time so I know I get too much fat and way too much sodium. But, I hate to cook just for me.

You are right, it can be expensive, but we can only do the best we can with what we can afford.
  • jwilson812
    Options
    I must be going for the wrong foods lol I'm a meat lover so I try to trick my body by eating veggie burgers and chicken patties. I'll definitely try cooking and eating more actual veggies though lol XD
  • jwilson812
    Options
    I really like the idea of starting my own mini garden too!
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals. Do few ingredients per meal. Never throw anything out. Shop for sales. Don't get stuck on 'what veggies goes with chicken' etc., just buy the cheap veggie and place it next to your cheap protein, done.

I'm definitely spending less money now than I used to. Though that's probably also because I eat less.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of greens and legumes. I grow greens in my garden but they can easily grow in a pot. Chard is the easiest. Kale is easy in cool weather. We also have a produce store in town that gets "seconds". Much cheaper than the chain stores. I'm sure other cities have similar.
    Eating less eat, more dried beans and lentils ( I buy from bulk bins, and zero processed foods keeps our grocery bill quite low.
    I can get a whole cart full
    Of produce for $40. A cart of other, more processed foods would probably be over $200..

All of this. Produce is cheap when you consider the volume. You know what's insanely expensive by volume? Breakfast cereals. And of course the least processed ones are the most expensive.

Beans are cheap. Anything frozen or canned is usually cheaper than fresh. Farmer's markets will help you considerably in bringing costs down if you're a meat or egg eater. Eggs especially because farmer's can sell directly to consumers lower grade eggs for a reduced rate that aren't good enough for grocery stores.

I find that with most things, though, the bulk bins where I am are actually more expensive than just buying bagged or boxed versions of most things. Oats, rice, nuts, legumes, all cheaper in bags than in bulk.

I guess all of this is dependent on where you live and what your transportation situation looks like. I'm fortunate to live in a small city and have a car so I can drive to the grocery store and buy a week's worth of groceries for my family very easily.
  • bombshellcertification
    bombshellcertification Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Im on a super tight budget so I get most staples from Aldis--string cheese moz skim (can eat as snack, melt into omlette, put on sandwhich--protein source, Lactose free skim milk super good price at aldis under 3 for 1/2 gallon, almonds & almond butter (4.99), frozen spinach less than 1 dollar, broccoli, carton of eggs , steel cut oats, brown rice, oven roasted turkey breast, I love their salsa and hummus, blue chips, plain greek yogurt, Frozen organic berries 2.99 a pack, various fresh fruits & veggies, organic apples, avocados were 50 cents each last week, etc....canned pineapple, raisins, hamburgers angus, OJ, multigrain waffles .....then I fill in with other stuff from Trader Joes on sale --ex. canned tuna, green juice, frozen foods,,etc...Protein powder is a good bang for the buck (and expensive) I figure atleast 40 goes to that-its an investment to make sure have enough protein in a pinch can mix with water, skim or yogurt, coconut water etc...

It is really challenging to do it just right when you are on a budget ---but if you know the right things to buy at the right price and at the right store..you can do really well......the 365 brand at whole foods is sometimes a good deal for things like olive oil, nut butters, instant soups/broth, instant mac & cheese and other items...I try to avoid going there now, as there are too many really good but expensive items outside of my budget right now...Best wishes! Using staples once you get them multiple ways really makes the grocery list stretch along with the dollar!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why call it cheating? You can choose between so many different things to ensure you get enough of all vitamins and minerals, protein, fat, fiber, and calories, and still keep it inside your budget and make it suit your taste. Everything you eat doesn't have to be super-healthy (and what does that really mean?).
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I must be going for the wrong foods lol I'm a meat lover so I try to trick my body by eating veggie burgers and chicken patties. I'll definitely try cooking and eating more actual veggies though lol XD

Chicken patties and veggie patties are expensive! What you can try doing is to purchase some bulk chicken breast (while on special is best), beat it flat and marinade it for a few hours before putting on the bbq. It is delicious, very juicy, not processed, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. (At least not where I'm from - some countries/areas are different with their prices)
  • Anporti
    Anporti Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! :( So much of my money has gone into what I eat. Some markets have a 'clearance' section for breads, cheeses and other foods at a discounted price. Some of my local markets also have student discounts (many also have Military and Senior discounts so it's convenient if you know someone who is either). I look at all the market circulars for the best sales and I even browse online for coupons. I also do a LOT of weekly meal planning when looking through the circulars. Although this can be very time consuming though and tiring, especially when you have a full time job or going to school. But these really are the only things I can do since I have only so much to spend on food to last me until next paycheck. :( It's rough out there and ridiculous that we pay 'more' for 'less' but that's America for you. Good luck and I wish you all the best! :D
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I love eating healthy, but it seems like all of my spending money goes to my diet =/ I have found that eating not so healthy (but cheap) foods are kind of okay as long as I eat them in moderation and work out at least 4x a week, but I feel like I'm cheating the system. Does anybody know of any alternative foods that won't be so heavy on the pockets?

If you imagine a good healthy dinner as a 3 egg omelet with 1/4 capsicum (bell pepper) and 1 oz cheese, with a side of broccoli, beans, peas microwaved in a jug and topped with garlic salt, like I had for dinner last night - nothing there is expensive.

Buy broccoli on sale, blanch and freeze most of it - freeze if free flow and you can grab a handful every time you want dinner. Buy capsicum on special, blanch and freeze free-flow in a bag in freezer.

Cheese - buy by the kilo on special. Buy the cheapest one.
    Eggs: I go cage free but haven't the money for free range.
    Beef: I buy on special and freeze in single portions.
    Lunches: I buy heavy bread, so 2 slices plus innards for lunch is a whole lunch. Innards can be coleslaw (cheaper than salad), egg, cheese, a few slices deli meats. Not expensive.

It's a misnomer that you have to spend a fortune to eat healthy. Chicken breast - I only buy it on special. Cut it into 120g portions and freeze. Mince - I make 1lb go to at least 5 meals.

I don't spend on silly protein shakes (yuck) or protein bars (expensive) or whey powder or any of that. I buy milk in 2l containers at the supermarket and freeze one (I shop fortnightly), I buy everything in the largest portions I can and either can it or freeze it. And when I run out that's it - do something else. Right now I'm getting rid of eggs so it's omelets for dinner and egg sandwiches for lunch.
  • kinmoratree
    kinmoratree Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When I'm trying to save money, I buy whole chickens and whole pieces of meat (pork shoulder, beef roast, ham) instead of buying pieces. The more prepared a thing is, the more they can charge you for them.

I watch for sales on fruits and veggies and buy frozen when fresh is too expensive because what I want is out of season.
  • laciemn
    laciemn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You can buy giant bags of frozen veggies at Wal-Mart for around $5. This one: http://www.amazon.com/Birds-Eye-Baby-Broccoli-Frozen/dp/B000SKLOX4.

Also, potatoes/sweet potatoes, onions, cabbage, carrots. Just a few tips :)

Chicken breast $2.20/lb. Eggs are fairly cheap, $1.80 a dozen here. Beans and rice of course! Oatmeal in the big can. Really, anything you want to eat that isn't totally void of nutrition and cheap will probably do just fine if you control the portion!
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sales, sales, sales! We shop for the week around what's on sale. Don't buy name brand items instead go for the store brand it's usually cheaper for the same-ish product. If you can find really really good deals on a meat one week buy an extra or two, if you have freezer room. I agree with a lot of the other advice above especially clearance stuff. Whatever store you are in check if they have clearance stuff. You don't HAVE to buy any but it's good to check for, just don't buy it because it's a good deal though .. make sure you will end up using it or you're just wasting that money anyway.
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    When things go on sale I stock up...mostly foods that you can put in the freezer. I always have a variety of frozen veggies in the freezer and also buy fresh if the price is right. I only buy chicken if it's on sale and also eat fish which is usually cheap. But I find I can pretty much eat anything as long as I plan for it...I plan my meals usually the day before and on the days I work out I always have a bigger meal like pasta or lasagna which is pretty cheap. I don't know if you have an M &M's Meat shop where you live but there food is excellent and I always buy things that I like there that are on sale. They have this excellent individual chicken portions stuffed with cheese and spinach or mushrooms or mozerella and marinara which are excellent and always fit into my dinner plan!
  • Thezestiest
    Thezestiest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Beans are super cheap and nutritious! Get them canned or dried and substitute them for some of the meat in your diet. I make succotash, tabbouleh salad with chick peas or lentils, chili, bean burritos, etc. Buy produce on sale or grow your own! Herbs are a great and easy thing to grow and will add tons of flavor to cooking with little calories. I think mostly cutting down on meat and pre-packaged items (like veggie burgers) will save you a lot.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options
    beans and rice
    rice and beans
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes - buying fresh ingredients and cooking from scratch, and not buying packaged food. Much cheaper and much healthier, but takes more work. In my hardest times I had hardly 10$ a week to spend on food. I lived off lentils, rice and vegetables.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Just focus on calories and the rest will take care of itself.

Try not to buy into the clean eating hype as there is not much scientific evidence to justify such an approach. Frozen and canned veggies are okay. Sweets in moderation are okay...so on and so forth.