Depression weight anyone?

Options
Well, I've heard lots of great things about this site. So far I'm loving the food tracker. About me. 30 year old vegan with a ton of weight to lose. How did I get here? I hate to blame medicine but my anti depressants made me ravenously hungry. I'm currently withdrawing from them because they don't help that much and are making it so hard to lose weight. Being overweight makes me depressed, so I take anti depressants, so I gain more weight...Vicious cycle. Not knocking anti depressants, but they seem to have little effect on my mind. So I'm going to try exercise as my form of treatment. Which will be hard because I hate exercise! But I'm going to try to turn it into a habit. Look forward to chatting with all of you. :)

Replies

• ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from depression most of my life. I have been off anti-depressants the past 10 years because I started eating better and exercising. I HATE exercise but I've been doing it on average over half a year every year. Sometimes I go a couple years in a row straight, exercising all year.

What I have done is 7 Simple Solutions everyday: http://4mybday.com/news.html

Back to 10 years ago, I lost 54 pounds. I kept most of it off for years but after deaths in the family, bedridden illness and stress, I gained it back. I'm now down 37 pounds from my highest. I can feel carbs crashes causing depression. Exercise helps as well as avoiding carbs. Also, red pepper flakes boost serotonin in the brain better than carbs.
  • floatingnomad
    Options
    Thanks for writing! That gives me hope knowing that exercise and diet really helped. I, like most vegans, live off carbs which is terrible. I went to a nutritionist and she was pretty horrified with my carb count, so I'm definitely going to start monitoring that.
  • Sweetie_darling
    Sweetie_darling Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    " Food is the most abused anxiety drug. Exercise is the most under-utilised antidepressant"

This quote 100% described me. I not going to lie- I still don't LOVE exercise, but I do love the buzz I get from it and how it makes me feel about myself.

Best of luck to everyone, be kind to yourselves and take baby steps with exercise if need be.

Xx
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've never had the "runner's high" but I do feel my depression worsen if I don't exercise for several days in a row. I also feel the depression today because I've had a piece or two of birthday cake and ice cream every day since my hubby's bday on the 20th and haven't gone to the gym because I'm on vacation. I've been walking a lot but I need some high intensity to generate some brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF).

http://www.amazon.com/Spark-Revolutionary-Science-Exercise-Brain/dp/0316113514
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I understand your desire to get off the anti-depressants. Just be sure to work with your doctor toward that goal. I know from personal experience that suddenly going off your medications can have horrible health consequences. I've been battling depression and anxiety for years, and it's been a long road to manage it. It never really goes away completely, but I have learned how to live functionally with it most of the time. I take Fluoxetine, Wellbutrin, and Podiapn as well as some vitamin supplements my doctor recommended to help manage it. Diet and exercise is another way I manage my depression and anxiety. There are times I still struggle to keep control, but I know I just have to weather the storm until it passes at those times. I wish you well in achieving your goals. Feel free to friend me if you wish. I'm no expert by any means, but I have a sympathetic ear and I understand living with depression and anxiety, too.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I took Lexapro for a few years. Which didn't do me any favors as far as weight. My doctor switched me to Wellbutrin. It has done wonders for me as far as my depression AND it is much better as far as reducing weight gain, as far as an anti-depressant. Total win all around, at least for me.
  • doointhis4me
    doointhis4me Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are talking about.. I have gone back and forth.. After having my daughter I did battle some depression and gained back all my pregnancy weight.. then I went through nursing school and that is just an emotional and mental drain which absolutely didn't help with anything at all and led to even more weight gain. I have never taken anything for depression as it has not been anything so bad that I couldn't handle on my own and I am absolutely stubborn when it comes to taking medications... However I understand the need for medication to aid those who need it. It is possible that you may need a different medication and that's something you should discuss with your doctor. Please be careful when stopping any medication.

Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • newkate1234
    newkate1234 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi there Bittercactus
    I am on the depression cycle. I had to have meds and piled on the weight. It is coming off but very slowly. I'm with you on the excersice but I am forcing myself. I do know that excersice is good for depression so I've bought a treadmill and bicycle so something's gotta work. I like the food diary, it helps keep me on track.
    You can do it but don't beat yourself up if it's slow.
    Warm wishes
    Kate
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Greetings!
    I'm also vegan, with a family and personal history of depression. What has worked for me are B-12 supplements, adding lecithin when cooking- for choline, and daily exercise. Also helpful:
    Zinc- 50 mg daily
    Chromium Picolinate - 200 mcg.
    B-6 50mg 3 times daily
    St. John's Wort - tea - as directed

Sending a friend request.