Evening over eating help

Options
I've tried searching all over this site, I can't find the help I need! Grrr. OK so I do great all day on the calorie counts etc. but come evening all bets are off! Chocolate cravings go nuts! My husband just started working out at the gym and he likes to fall out of bed and immediately run out the door to the gym. I think he's trying to get the work out done before he is actually awake enough to know he's done it! I personally like to work out in the evening but hubbie wants me to work out at the same time he does. Working out in the morning is not effective for me because I'm disabled and the body takes longer than that to get the stiffness out of the muscles and joints. Plus it is messing up my morning meds schedule. Neither one of us are loosing any weight and we've been workin on this for 6-8 weeks now! Not one pound. I think it is the evening eating. I need to stop this but don't know how. We usually eat a salad in the evening. My salad is small, no cheese, and spray on salad dressing. I mean it's under 200 calories. Then sometimes I have a 130 cal littl box of rasins. The chocolate cravings are just the killer. I tried using chocolate frozen yogurt at 90 cal per 1/2 cup serving, I just have a problem with portion control when it comes to the chocolate!

I usually go walking in the evening but it's too cold for me outside right now. I wish it would hurry up and warm up again! OK I'm done whinning now, thank you for listening!

Replies

• JRIV60
    JRIV60 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have fallen in love with Blue Diamond Dark Chocolate Flavor Almonds. When my late night cravings kick in for chocolate I grab a handful of those. The serving size is 24 nuts = 160cal but I can usually get away with eating 1/2 that.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Is it always a salad in the evening? What time about is dinner for you? With the chocolate craving.......I am that way also but keep it out of the house. For me, outta sight, outta mind. Know this does not work for everyone.

Maybe with the dinner salad some chicken strips? ham bits? My salad consists of Romaine, iceburg, Feta cheese-tomato & basil is my fav. I like the spiced up kinds. Carrot strips and sometimes hard boiled egg. More of a chef salad. Then a vinaigrette dressing.

How many calories are you allowed per day? Are you going under? Drinking enough water?

All my best, don't give up. If you want to talk, message me. OK?
  • meanbmc
    meanbmc Posts: 28
    Options
    our main meal is at noon, due to our work schedules. so when i get home, my "dinner" (actually lunch!) is a peanut butter sandwich and an apple. if i'm still hungry, a handful of almonds works well, or a container of yogurt. sounds like you might need to give yourself a bigger meal in the evening?

good luck!
    betsy
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Is it always a salad in the evening? What time about is dinner for you? With the chocolate craving.......I am that way also but keep it out of the house. For me, outta sight, outta mind. Know this does not work for everyone.

Maybe with the dinner salad some chicken strips? ham bits? My salad consists of Romaine, iceburg, Feta cheese-tomato & basil is my fav. I like the spiced up kinds. Carrot strips and sometimes hard boiled egg. More of a chef salad. Then a vinaigrette dressing.

How many calories are you allowed per day? Are you going under? Drinking enough water?

All my best, don't give up. If you want to talk, message me. OK?

I agree - what is your cal in/out like? Are you going under or over? Hitting protein & fat goals?

Is it hunger in the evening or cravings?

At any rate, welcome to another Coloradoan! Don't get discouraged! Sounds like you may need to change some things up, but that's what MFP is here for - to help you figure out what you need to do and how to do it.
  • coal45
    coal45 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your posts! It's nice to know I'm not alone at this.
    In response to all your observations let me say, my evening salad is about 6 oz and consists of iceburg lettuce, a little mixed bell pepper, a few diced ham bits, some black olive slices, and a couple of cherry tomatos. It's about the size of a dinner salad in a restaurant...maybe a little smaller. Then I spritz it with the ranch spray on dressing. I like that stuff! It suprised me that I liked it. Which brings me to the fact that I am a very picky eater so that gets in the way of nutrition etc. as well. I don't like the taste of yogurt but I can tolerate the frozen yogurt cause it tasts like ice cream and I was lucky enough to find one that tasts good and is relatively low in calories. I was trying to get those little bugs that live in yogurt but I finally found them in pill form, so I doubt I'll buy any more of it since it's such a temptation. I don't like any kind of nuts at all, don't like carrots, broccoli, brussel sprouts, chicken, fish, stuff like that. I'd rather go hungry than have to gag that stuff down. I know it sounds crazy but they have figured out that some of us have an abundance of taste buds to detect different tastes in foods. Our tastebuds are out of balance. If you have too many sweet tastebuds (or sweet receptors) then things that are sweet are going to tast too sweet to you compared to how they taste to the normal person. There is a science to it. So anywa, I try to find things that I like, or at least can tolerate, that are going to fill the needs nutritionally and limit calorie wise.
    Five years ago I weighed 100 lbs. at 5' 4" tall. I was underweight to the point that a Dr told me to gain weight or go on dialysis. I started working on gaining weight. Seems logical. Yea right! Soon after, I hit menopause and now I have the opposite problem! Now it's so much harder to control my weight! Right now, I am up to 125 lbs but I carry it all around my waist which is dangerous. I have this spare tire that hangs over my jeans and is so uncomfortable. I keep working on loosing, but I'm slowly gaining. It is so frustrating! I'm on the elliptical going anaerobic, I'm lifting weights, (not large heavy amounts of weight mind you but still) I'm walking, often carring weights and lifting them over my head as I walk, kind of like a cheerleader in a parade thing. I can actually do 2 sets of 10 push ups now! I'm so excited! But still gaining weight and still have a spare tire hangin out there. So that's why I'm here. That and the fact that both my mother and my sister are extremely over weight. They gave up the fight and just quit trying at all. I can't see allowing myself to do that. So thanks for all your help and advice. Look forward to hearing back from you.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    There are a couple of things I can think of that may be hindering you and some things to try.

First, are you logging your exercise? and eating your exercise cals? Getting enough cardio? I know you said you're disabled, so I don't know what all kind of exercise you are able to do. Weights are great, walking is great, but you may need to get a bit more cardio in, if possible. Particularly after menopause, your hormone levels will make your body prefer using carbs for energy rather than your fat stores. Women in menopause typically need more cardio and longer sessions of cardio to see weight loss.

Second, are you just watching calories, or do you watch protein/fat/carbs as well? Calories can be deceiving, if they're coming from the wrong things. And if you aren't getting enough protein/fat it can backfire. Is your calorie goal high enough? If you set it too low, especially in menopause, your body can start resisting (I won't say starvation mode, but

If you're getting the craving that badly during the evening, you might try having dinner a little later. Also might try saving a few calories for a filling snack in the evening. It might take some trial/error to figure out a snack you like that helps you feel full, but it's worth if it helps you resist overeating.

Anyway, just some ideas and things to think about. Never give up and don't get discouraged. Sometimes it just takes a little more time to figure out how you need to work with your body. Stay strong!
  • coal45
    coal45 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much, I really appreciate your suggestions.
    My disability is a mixture of autoimmune diseases and when they decide to act up, it makes me exhausted, literally lithargic. I go to sleep for days on end sometimes. It also makes my muscles painful and they atrophy very quickly. My joints get into the act as well, then it usually settles in my left leg/knee. This has put me in a wheel chair twice and I still have crutches I use, but just occasionally. The whole left side of my body is signficantly weaker than my right so I try to work it extra to even things out. This is the reason I am so scared of gaining too much weight like my Sis and Mom. My Mom probably weighs 225lbs. If I get that big, I'll be back in the wheel chair cause the legs won't carry the weight.
    It has taken me a long time because things go two steps forward and one step backward in my exercise endurance, but I can now do 20 minutes on the elliptical at a difficulty level less than 6. Doing this causes me to go anaerobic (my bp goes up into the 160's) which is above the aerobic zone. Now I'm playing with it a little by changing the timing of my medicine. My blood pressure causes migrane headaches because the Dr says the top number and the bottom number are too far apart on the reading. So I take bp medicine. If I take the bp medicine before working out, I can keep the heart rate in the lower zones. Just yesterday I did two sets of 10 push ups. I'm so proud of myself! But when I have my next flare up I will loose ground again.
    OH and we have been eating our evening salad at about 5 or 5:30 so I think I'll try putting that back a bit, plus I think I'll try a evening trip to the gym or go out for a walk before it gets too cold. Oh I'm in Tucson for the winter in our motor home, we just can't take the cold in Colorado in the winter, it hurts too much. So if I eat later and I go for a walk or something in the evening, then I have something to do other than sit on the couch and eat chocolate! I also thought about trying to keep my blood sugar on a more even keel by dividing my food intake so I am eating every 2-3 hours. Still eating the same number of calories, just spreading them out more. It's an idea.
    thanks for your input and advice
    Jackie
  • barbrooney
    barbrooney Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have only been trying for a few days myself, and have not lost any yet, however I have to blame it on the binge eating at night, eating 15 cookies will pretty much wipe away the days effort. I too am an evening binger. I spoke with a dietician a few days ago and she suggested that i consume more calories during the day so i won't binge at night. It sort of makes sense so I am trying to be more disciplined with eating more food during the day and less at night. I am also drinking a cup of tea with honey to help with the sugar addition. I also think staying busy at night either on-line or knitting or some other diversion may be helpful. I am sure if you keep looking you will find the right thing for you.
  • Pamphone
    Options
    Hi Jackie, I am guessing I'm about your age. I have my hormone levels checked a least once per year and then have them balanced with some bioidentical hormones. Read Suzanne Sommers the Sexy Years and talk with your physician to see if this might help you. It's a good read if nothing else. You can check it out for free at the library. Also, I have to force myself to workout and I have worked out for years. I write it down on a calendar a week ahead, cuz if its on the calendar it will happen..and then I still make myself. Once you get going, you'll make it through the workout and you'll feel better that you did it. Believe that you can and will achieve the goal you have set for yourself. Tell yourself, one little piece of chocolate per day and no more and don't eat after 8 p.m. that helps for me. Keep thinkging good thoughts...you are doing it for you....you will feel better.......you will look better.....
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Hey hunny!! :o)

The beginning stages of this whole are absolutely no fun. I didn't loose weight for the first two months of being as dedicated as I knew how to be. I have 5 autoimmune disease so I can COMPLETELY understand what you are talking about as far as getting up in the morning, sleep schedules...everything. After loosing the weight, my exercise routine has been able to be intensified which such a blessing but it doesn't stop my legs from throbbing or my sleep from being irregular.

However, let me just say this. The absolutely positively without a shadow of a doubt turning point in my weight loss was when I gave up the evening snacks. We would eat dinner between 6-7. I would wait until 9. The chocolate craving would hit full force. I would go into my kitchen, open the freezer and get a frozen reeses. OH YUM! Just one! Sometimes it was a reeses and pretzels. Sometimes I mixed it up with a different chocolate. But I always had something. One day I finally said ENOUGH! I'm not loosing weight. I'm doing everything else right except this one thing.

And I gave it up.

It was SO HARD. 9 oclock would roll around and I would get the craving. I'd ignore it. 10 oclock. Now I'm actually hungry! Mind you, I understand the autoimmune issue. There were nights when I wouldn't fall asleep until 3 or 4 from pain or from being over exhausted. So now I'm up for hours, still craving that darn chocolate. Or hungry for ANYTHING. But stayed strong. And the weight started falling off. It jump started my metabolism or something! I stopped eating after dinner and I lost weight. Now I can eat a few walnuts before bed with a clementine and I love it! But I always leave 2-3 hours before bed to give my body time to cool down after eating!

This is soooo hard hunny...but you can do this... :o) Keeping you in my prayers!
  • bjwb1976
    Options
    I have the same problem! They say the best thing to do is have a LITTLE bit. I know its eaiser said than done.
    There are other tricks that work for me and my friends like:
    Chew flavorful gum
    Frozen grapes
    have 1-3 Hershey kisses (not to bad in the calorie dept)
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Eat a regular dinner. Salad for lunch, cheese, veg, little bit of meat. Dinner of protein, veg, little carb. No wonder you lose your will at the end of the day! Beef up your dinner and you will most likely find the chocolate isn't as tempting.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Eat a regular dinner. Salad for lunch, cheese, veg, little bit of meat. Dinner of protein, veg, little carb. No wonder you lose your will at the end of the day! Beef up your dinner and you will most likely find the chocolate isn't as tempting.

This is very true...I failed to touch on this. And I know with autoimmune issues eating can be touchy. However you have to get your body on a schedule. My biggest thing was not eating breakfast. Now I eat a breakfast of at least 300-400 calories to get my day started out right and it helps later on. While the saying "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.
    ~ Adelle Davis" is true... you still need to get some much needed protein in that meal. Beef up that dinner...literally! :o) Haha! :o)
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Ok, if you can't do some of the more "traditional" cardio, have you tried swimming? It might be easier on your joints.

Have you worked with a physical therapist at all? It's expensive, but if you have insurance, your doc may be able to get you a prescription. As mentioned, once you get some of the weight off, it will likely help decrease some of your symptoms from the AID - but to get there, you probably need to find a way to increase the cardio without stressing your body too much. Kind of a catch-22, eh? Anyway, I'm betting a physical therapist could help you find some things that you could do without raising HR and BP. I have a little physical therapy background, but not enough to know what other exercise might be feasible.

BTW, I've seen a bunch of conflicting info regarding chocolate and its influence on AID. Some things say stay away from it, as it may contribute to a flare up (have you noticed this?) Others say a dark chocolate can be beneficial as it can help decrease inflammatory responses. Might ask your doc about it, as it may depend on your exact form of AID as to which it might do for you.
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Try portioning out your chocolate snackage into a little ziploc bag in the morning for that night, and when you go to eat it at night DON'T eat more than what's in the bag. It usually works for me. :)
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    sound like your body is craving fat/carbs. was hard fighting those off when i started. i tried to keep busy and distract myself doing other things. can you try a workout in the evening since the am isn't working? wish you all the best!
  • megansummers92
    Options
    I get those cravings too. What helps me is when I'm craving something sweet I have some kind of fruit instead. Mostly apples but whatever fruit you like is fine too,
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Try gold standard casein protien powder in chocolate. blend it with 8oz. Fat free milk. It's SUPER thick like a milk shake and oh sooo delicious! My husband said he felt like he was cheating it was so good. Also, genisoy makes these little chips things in chocolate. Even my five year old did likes them. I think there's only 100 cal in 15 chips. Theyre choc flavor with a choc drizzle on top. Very tasty
  • stacybolstridge
    Options
    I think you are craving sweets because you aren't keeping your blood sugar at an even level throughout the day. It sounds like you could use more protein in your evening meal. It stays longer in the system and will keep your blood sugar more even for a lot longer. I used to do the same thing with evening snacking and it was definately counter productive for me. Maybe reevaluate your daily menu and rearrange it slightly. I don't know, but it's worth a shot.
  • lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi, All the suggestions are great. I have one more. Sounds like you might need more protein? Since you don't like most forms of protein have you tried eating legumes like kidney beans and things? Do you like them? Also the protein powder and skim milk might be good if you like the taste. I have also found a protein drink that is pre mixed that I like. Good luck and keep with it. You know you can eat more salad for dinner also? More veggies don't hurt and might fill you up.

L