Buying running shoes - advice needed!

Options
kwb87
kwb87 Posts: 70 Member
OK so following some excellent advice on this forum I went to get fitted for running shoes at my local sports shop. He recoded me running and slowed it down and showed me how I over pronated and suggested some good supportive shoes. I tried several pairs on but my favourite and the ones which straightened my ankles up best were the Saucony Hurricane 16.

My question now is whether or not to go for these which I was offered at £100 (rrp £120) and support my local shop or get the previous model online for £62 inc. delivery?

I was expecting to pay around £80. Maybe this is a moral dilemma more than anything. I could stretch to £100 and would feel good about supported my local area but at the same time I don't want to be ripped off! Advice very welcome!

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Support your local economy. You wouldn't even know what to get without the help you received. They are well worth the investment.
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend buying running shoes online "blindly". Even if it's an older or newer version of the trainers you like, there will always be subtitle changes that could nonetheless make a big difference to the way they feel. Go for the in store model, guys in running shops normally really know their stuff, especially in the smaller independent ones which are usually staffed by running fanatics :-)
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I always buy the first pair from the local shop if I've had good service there. It's only fair. They've got overheads, and one of those is employing the people who helped you choose the shoes. But the next time I need a pair the same I will get them cheaper online. I probably get about one pair of expensive shoes and 3 pairs of cheap shoes out of each consultation.
  • kwb87
    kwb87 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the help and advice everyone. I've made the decision to go back to the shop on Tuesday morning first thing and get the ones I loved. Hopefully they work out for me and then in future I can get them online. I kind of felt like this was a moral dilemma above all else. I knew the shoes I wanted but wasn't sure I could face not returning to the shop after the assistant there spent a good 20 minutes or so with me, trying on 6 or so pairs of running shoes and analysing my gait. They were also on sale for £108 but when I said I was hoping to spend around £80 he offered to knock them down to £100 for me. I live in quite a deprived and disadvantaged city too and felt like there would just be something wrong about buggering off and getting them online. Maybe I'm going too off track now but anyway I'm glad others agree that getting them in store this time feels like the right thing.

All that aside - I'm actually strangely excited about getting into my new running shoes! So much so that I'll be picking them up as the shop opens on Tuesday morning :)

Thanks again for all the help and advice.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Definitely glad to read that you have opted to buy in-store. Much of the price differential could very well be the consultation (if they, of course, did that for free). I think it's especially important to do it in person when you are planning on using them for running on a regular basis.

Think of it like this... if you buy online, and buy the older model, not only are you betting your money that the older model will be adequate (let's face it, newer models usually are a newer model for a reason... better material, quality, adjustments based on majority feedback, etc) and you don't have the ability to go back and say "you know, we talked about these and I've been running in them, but I'm having issues." Having an in-person experience for this investment could lead you to being able to negotiate further assistance if you find they don't work out or whatever. Even if you run till they wear out, the store clerks could be able to help you advance in models as your technique and needs change through your training.

Just a few thoughts I had. I'm not a runner yet, I can't do it, but I recently bought a pair of running shoes, my first pair. I did it online and had a great experience, but like I said, not running in them. I read hundreds of reviews, and opted to go with my second choice because of price and not being able to return them easily if they didn't work. If I were to actually start training as a runner as opposed to just wanting sleeker exercise trainers, I would definitely be going through a shop in the city.