I wish my body looked like what I was expecting it to :(

Options
I am extremely disheartened. I have lost 27 pounds. I have taken measurements and I know that I have physically shrunk in size. I am just so disappointed in my appearance. I thought I would look a lot less jiggly and gross at this point. I have lost 5 inches off my waist and all I can see is what I haven't lost. It's such a mental struggle. I am 5-6 and weigh 167. I have to keep lowering my goal weight. Ugh, I'm just really frustrated and needed to vent. My family doesn't get it.

Does anyone out there feel like this?

Replies

• mafrench2000
    Options
    I can relate. I'm 5-10 and 225. I have lost about 24 pounds in six weeks . After about three weeks I could tell I was losing weight and felt good,since then the weight has continued to come off but to me it does look lke I have made any progress. One of the first goals I thought I would make was to go down from a 40 inch pants to a 38. After losing 24 lbs I still can't come close to comfortably wearing the 38 pants.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    The single best thing that I have ever done was starting to lift heavy weights. It has changed my body and also my views on my body
  • kmkgurl
    kmkgurl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jake14armstrong
    jake14armstrong Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step" you might have expected to be where you wanted to be now, but youve lost 27 pounds, and that's effin' awesome! no matter what, you're way closer to your expectations then you were before you started. So chin up! You've done great and you can keep doing great!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Have a look at a photo of before and after the 27lb loss

If you think you look and feel better now then you did when 27lbs heavier then it's been worth the hard work and sacrifices. I'd be surprised if you didn't
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights.
    98777 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think the first pounds lost are the hardest to see. As you get closer to your goal and a weight considered a healthy BMI, you will probably be much happier with how you look.
  • blushpeonies
    blushpeonies Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i feel the exact same way.
    i had an interview the other day & needed proper clothes && nothing fit. it is so disheartening.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Tagging to respond when I get to a computer
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights.

That's very general and not necessarily what's right for everyone

It's spot on for 99.9% though
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    +1 for lifting.
    Seriously. It does great things!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    First off, keep in mind that it will take your brain awhile to catch up to the changes in your body. Mine brain runs behind by about 6 months. So give yourself some time to adjust and be patient with yourself while that process is occurring.

Second, I would also recommend that you lift weights or do some form of resistance training while you continue to lose weight. Resistance training and proper protein intake (1 gram per pound of lean body mass) will help you retain your muscle while you lose weight. That means when you get to your goal weight you'll have a lower body fat percentage than you would have had if you had just dieted.

Find some exercise that you love. Set goals for yourself. Think about your body in terms of what it can do rather than solely what it looks like.

Understand that there are things that you can change about your body and things that you can't. I have a large ribcage. When I first got to my goal weight I was very self-conscious about it. But that's not something that can be changed so I had to make my peace with it. I started focusing on things that I love about my body, like my arms/shoulders. There are other things that can be changed. Since I didn't lift weights while I was losing my butt ended up somewhat flatter than I'd like. But that can be fixed with hard work and patience. There's nothing wrong with wanting to improve, but you can still love the body you have now during that process.

Be kind to yourself and try to be patient. I think more than half the battle is mental. Make sure you're not neglecting your psychological health in addition to the physical. Practice positive self-talk. And hang in there. :flowerforyou:
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    First off, keep in mind that it will take your brain awhile to catch up to the changes in your body. Mine brain runs behind by about 6 months. So give yourself some time to adjust and be patient with yourself while that process is occurring.

Yes, this is also very important! I still sometimes see a completely different version of myself in the mirror lol
  • sheldawg
    sheldawg Posts: 3
    Options
    Some of the words they were said in here were very comforting and are also very motivating for me to hear. I have lost good chunk of weight and have been very discouraged with how my body is looking. It is awesome to see the scale go down and to feel the difference in my knees and back. I just want to see the difference physically as well. My wife told me that it is just going to take time and I know that is true, but I also I know I should start some kind of lifting program. I am just not sure where to begin. There is so much info out there and everyone has the "right" way of doing things.790888.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The single best thing that I have ever done was starting to lift heavy weights. It has changed my body and also my views on my body

This. When I lost weight and hit my goal I wasn't happy with my appearance. But once I started lifting and working out, my body started changing very quickly!

It will slow weight loss on the scale, but you're body will be changing drastically. Be sure to measure and take photos if you go this route!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

^^^ totally this.

lifting heavy weights totally firms up the jiggly bits.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    There seems to be an echo in here.

Lift heavy weights.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    It's such a mental struggle.
    The answer may lie within your question. There is so much advice about the physical and nutritional aspects of weight loss and fitness (not the same thing) and yet it is the psychological part that is so difficult.

Anyone can have a problem with body image, motivation, overcoming discouragement... the weight lifting advice is good but you may still find that it takes time to mentally adjust.

There is another consideration: Heredity and body type. We can only optimize what we were born with.

You have lost weight. Don't forget to celebrate the success along the way. It can help with motivation. :drinker:
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

^^^ This.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I think it's very common at least in the western cultures to view only what's still left to do. But if you were to take a more wholesome approach and in a fair manner would look also at what you've achieved already, maybe you wouldn't feel so disappointed in your current appearance? It's a bit like the glass that is either half full or half empty. Just look at how people word their tickers; it's either "to go still" or "done already"; I prefer the latter for this very reason.

And the advice you've received above are very worth paying attention to.