Smorgasbord... how much should I eat?

Options
Okay, first time posting on the forums, here goes...

Next Saturday, my parents and I are going out to a Swedish restaurant for their buffet, and I'm currently trying to lose weight- the thing is, my parents don't like the idea of me dieting and have said that I have to eat enough for the buffet to be "worth it". I know that a Chinese buffet is incredibly fatty, but what about a smorgasbord? Does anyone know the nutrition info on that? (I'm talking Miss Maud here.) And what foods should I eat during the buffet, and how do I make it seem like I'm eating more than I am?

Thanks to anyone who replies. :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? How come your parents don't want you to be 'dieting'? Tricks to make it seem like you're eating more than you are sound like the start of disordered eating habits....
  • AngeliqueAcee
    AngeliqueAcee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm Swedish and on our smorgasbord we have ALOT of fish, different kinds and some more healthy than others. I'd stick to fish and have a couple of potatoes and veggies (there should be tons of it).

Not sure what a Swedish smorgasbord looks like in the US (?) but if it is traditional, fish should be a big part of it :)

Edited to say I have no nutritional info, but stuff like salmon and other fish should be available on here. We don't normally add cream or sauces to dishes up front, it's up to you to add them :)
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    All of it.

It's one meal, it won't effect your weight loss at all.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why your worried about what your parents think. Is there a reason they think you should eat more???

Anyway, when I go to a buffet, I fill my plate with veggies and then just have small servings of anything else I might want.

One meal won't make you fat. Just like one salad won't make you skinny.

So go enjoy yourself and have fun. Consider it your treat meal and have what you want.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Sorry your parents aren't understanding about this. I'd fill your plate up w/some lean meat/fish, and lots of healthy veggies. Doing that you could even go back for a 2nd plate of the same thing, then hopefully they'll feel it was "worth it" and leave you alone. Avoid veggies that have heavy/creamy sauces, cheese, are fried, or dressings. Focus on the raw veggies in particular...salad area. Non-creamy soups are also pretty good choices. Stay away from the breads, potatoes, rice, and desserts. Although most buffet places have jello in the dessert section now, sometimes even diet, which would be fine.

One other thing, you're 25, and whether you're living at home or not, remember that you should be making the choices that are healthy and good for you...even if it goes against what your parents want. I understand being polite or considerate...if I'm a guest at the home of a family/friend, I'll eat a little of whatever's put before me, although SMALL portions of heavy calorie things. But if someone is pushing me to overeat, then I usually just excuse myself. You could also just eat before hand and abstain (if they're concerned they're wasting money). Sometimes I've already eaten and my husband will call and ask me to go out to eat for lunch...I'll just sit w/him to keep him company and just have something to drink. You could also offer to pay your meal, so then you don't feel any pressure to please them w/quantity. All the best in your efforts.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    How old are you?
  • issybel22
    issybel22 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for all this super helpful information. :)

So it seems like I'll just stick to the salads and lean meats and all... my parents just don't understand the concept of "healthy" eating- they're worried about me turning anorexic and all (I'm not, I eat healthily, not little.)
    A relief to hear that one meal won't affect my weight so much. ^_^ I'm overdue for a treat anyway.

Thank you thank you thank you. My family is Chinese so we don't move out until we're married, and our parents still have an extremely strong influence on us after we turn 18 (I'm not 25... yet!), in reply to what people asked about why my parents influenced my diet so much, but I'll keep what you all said in mind.
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Start out with a big plate of salad if they have that, and then have fish or grilled meat with veggies for your other plate :)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Eat the fish. Low in calories but the most valuable/expensive part of the buffet. If they gripe, point out that you ate $30 of salmon