25 minutes of Kinect Sports Boxing - Calories counted with P

Options
I received my Polar FT7 in the mail today and I decided I'd try it out while playing Kinect Sports Boxing. I've got everything set up correctly.

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 208 pounds
Sex: Male

The game was played for 25 minutes with as little downtime as possible (when a match was over, I started another one as fast as I could so as not to let my heart rate get down too far). I had my fiance's two-pound weights attached to each hand.

I'm fairly rigorous with the game. I have the difficulty set to professional so if you don't want to get your butt kicked, you've got to be pretty intense. Here were the results:

Average heart rate: 133
Maximum: 161

Calories Burned: 289
Minus Metabolic Rate: ~45
Net Calories Burned: 244

That feels fairly accurate I think. 25 minutes of nearly constant punching, lots of sweat and I know those heart rates are about right. Just thought anyone who was curious about the calorie burning potential of some of these Kinect/Wii video games are, there you have it.

Again though - I think you can burn a lot less or a lot more depending on how intense you make it. The weights in each hand make a pretty big difference also I think. I've played it without them and while I still got a good workout, it didn't seem like nearly as rough.

Replies

• Chillem
    Chillem Posts: 40
    Options
    Does being agressive makes you burn more calories? Ahahaha I get mad when the B$%^& or M#$@^(* punches me! ahahaha
    but wii boxing was allready in the list, it's less than what you've measured, but still nice to earn on a fun way.
  • ZacFields
    ZacFields Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Well, being more aggressive makes me swing a lot more and a lot faster. lol! I definitely get my heart rate up a lot higher when I'm having to try harder to beat the guy than when I'm just whooping him down.

Yeah it looks like the Wii Boxing is 213 calories for about 25 minutes according to MFP, which sounds about right for me to have it a little higher holding weights while playing the game. I'm not sure with the FT7 if you have to subtract your metabolic calories (the amount of calories you would have burned for 25 minutes if you were just sitting on the couch) or not, but I did it that way.

I'm with you though - might be the funnest way to kill 245 calories in 25 minutes. Much funner than doing a workout video or something.