Becoming a group fitness instructor?

Options
cmw72
cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
It sounds crazy ... But I can't get the idea out of my mind.

I've only been at this a year now, and I know I still have a long way to go, but the more classes I attend, the more I think maybe someday I could be a group fitness instructor.

It just seems like a good way to keep myself on track, once I reach my goal weight.

Has anybody else entertained the notion?

Replies

• galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds wonderful and fun! People would be able to relate to you, because you have been there before. Great idea to keep you on track too! I had thought about being a PE teacher before, because I see how kids these days are so inactive and overweight. It makes me want to do something to help starting at an early age.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I have been told by numerous people I should train people. I obsess enough about my routines to have to worry about others.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Meeeee!

I'd LOVE to do something involving nutrition or fitness now that its a big part of my life and something I'm passionate about. I'm a writer by education and trade though. I too have been wondering how you get started doing this kind of thing.
  • JeanMargaret
    Options
    I don't think it sounds crazy, at all. I think about it all the time!
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i've entertained it myself! i'm glad i'm not the only one. it's kinda like payin it 4ward :tongue:

good luck if u decide that's somethin u wanna do :smile:

i'm startin my journey over again w/the weight loss & i think it's somethin that i'd b interested in doin once i get close 2 maintainin.

it's funny that i love spinnin classes & the local gym i go 2 only has several classes but none on the wknd! :noway:

i'm so interested in doin that!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I recently obtained my personal training certification, not because of this site per se, but because of my journey altogether. But I think the more the merrier!! Check out IDEA. They are a great resource group for fitness professionals! Good luck!!
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't think it sounds crazy at all. During this journey, I realized that I LIKED to exercise and I totally think I could be an instructor!! I actually HAVE been looking into it!!
  • MKSullivan
    Options
    Being a group fitness intructor was sooooooooo much fun! I am considering getting back into teaching indoor cycling. I did my training throug Les Mills - if there are any clubs around you that offer Les Mills classes, I highly recommend trying one. They are all amazing - BodyPump, RMP, BodyCombat, etc...
    I did kickboxing throught Turbo Kick and that was amazing as well.
    Unfortunately I let me certifications expire, so I will have to pay to go through training again, but it's well worth it. You meet amazing, like-minded people and have fun!
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing... and I took one step into helping others get healthy, I became a beachbody coach this past month, and I want to do more already!! I love using all of the beachbody programs to work out, so I thought I could share my passion with others. Hope you follow through with it!
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    AFAA has an apex coming up in Feb : ) $99 for group x cert. I have been an instructor for a couple of years now. I love it!
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I doubt I'll ever have the grace or ability to be a Zumba instructor (despite the fact I go like 6 times a week).

I was thinking something more like Group Step, as my gym already offers some of the Body Training Systems programs (Group Power & Group Kick), and step aerobics looks interesting.

I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I'm assuming step 1 would be to get certified, and step 2 would be convincing the gym to let me teach a class.
  • MKSullivan
    Options
    I doubt I'll ever have the grace or ability to be a Zumba instructor (despite the fact I go like 6 times a week).

I was thinking something more like Group Step, as my gym already offers some of the Body Training Systems programs (Group Power & Group Kick), and step aerobics looks interesting.

I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I'm assuming step 1 would be to get certified, and step 2 would be convincing the gym to let me teach a class.

You are exactly right! First step is find a cert class and sign up :) Then you can start looking for a place to teach. It is the best job (I use that term loosely) ever!
  • pbxr
    pbxr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the best instructors are the ones who've battled with weight themselves. They tend to have an understanding of the journey that someone who's never struggled simply cannot. I'm sure you would be a super encouragement to folks coming to your classes. Go for it! :smile:
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm currently studying for my A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer certification and will become a Turbo Kick instructor along the way as well.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    GO for it! Talk to your gym about it & sign up to become certified :) like someone else said, Apex with AFAA is in Feb!
  • vrichardson
    Options
    I've been a group fitness instructor for about 19 years and still love it. This is how I started, like you are. I was taking classes, and thoght, hey I can do this! Go for it! I soon discovered that the reason it looked so easy is because I was taking classes under a great instructor, because trying to learn cueing, music beats, etc. proved to be quite the challenge, but I wanted it bad enough that I kept pushing thru. You'll have challenges, but if you're passionate about it. you'll keep going!
  • KAM1500
    KAM1500 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too am a Group Fitness Instructor. When I was attending Spinning classes at the local YMCA, the Fitness Director approached me about becoming an instructor. That is where I started. I now have 2 Spin Certifications, General Group Fitness Certification and a TurboKick (the version of TurboJam that you teach at a gym) Certification. I absolutely love it. You should do it!!!