Help! I ran 2 days ago and now I can hardly walk.

Options
2 days ago was the first time I have ever run for exercise, and stupidly I did absolutely no research beforehand. I didn't stretch before or after, and I didn't walk it off (which I know now, is all wrong!) I ran for about 15 minutes straight. I felt great the day I ran, and even most of yesterday, but yesterday evening I was sitting, and when I stood up I was surprised to find I could hardly stand or walk, the most I could do was shuffle around because my calves were so tight. I managed to stretch them out and I was able to function and walk (poorly, I might add.) But every time I sat back down for a while, it's like my calves reset themselves to this tight state and I can hardly stand or walk again. Same thing happened when I got out of bed this morning. Clearly I went about running the wrong way, but has anyone ever had this happen before or know what I need to do for these calves?

Replies

• looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I did something very similar years ago. After one of my kids was born I decided to start exercising so started walking. Yeah, walked a couple of miles just out of the blue. Vigorous walking, outside, hills. Holy CRAP I could not walk for a week. So, so sore. I also did this once when I decided to incorporate weights into my workouts. "Oh, this 10lb weight doesn't seem very heavy, think I'll just do a bunch of bicep exercises". Literally could not straighten my arms out for over a week.

Lesson learned. Go slower, ease into it, less is more until you've build up to it, warm up properly!, stretch afterwards, don't over do it. Time will make your calfs stop hurting. Others may have some suggestions in the meantime. Warm baths to ease the muscles and easy stretching perhaps? Good luck!
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You're getting stronger! Embrace it! As long as you don't have shin splits keep going
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    und because my calves were so tight. I managed to stretch them out and I was able to function and walk (poorly, I might add.) But every time I sat back down for a while, it's like my calves reset themselves to this tight state and I can hardly stand or walk again. Same thing happened when I got out of bed this morning. Clearly I went about running the wrong way, but has anyone ever had this happen before or know what I need to do for these calves?

LOL! You did not go running the wrong way. This is totally normal. You are just stiff! I have ran 6 marathons & even a 31 mile race.. This happens after running sometimes when you are not used to the distance/speed.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    That's normal. It gets better. Just don't run for such a long time next time. Work into it slowly. And make sure to stretch before and after.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    2 days ago was the first time I have ever run for exercise, and stupidly I did absolutely no research beforehand. I didn't stretch before or after, and I didn't walk it off (which I know now, is all wrong!) I ran for about 15 minutes straight. I felt great the day I ran, and even most of yesterday, but yesterday evening I was sitting, and when I stood up I was surprised to find I could hardly stand or walk, the most I could do was shuffle around because my calves were so tight. I managed to stretch them out and I was able to function and walk (poorly, I might add.) But every time I sat back down for a while, it's like my calves reset themselves to this tight state and I can hardly stand or walk again. Same thing happened when I got out of bed this morning. Clearly I went about running the wrong way, but has anyone ever had this happen before or know what I need to do for these calves?

I work with a lot of people who run 1.5mi twice a year, and that's it, and this happens. Heck, I was one of them. Run 14-15min and my legs were shot for a week.

Start your run with something easy, like a walk. Don't run on cold muscles
    If you can read this, slow your run down
    After your run, do a cool down walk, or a short run significantly slower than normal
    I prefer a hot shower immediately after I run, then I ice nagging areas
    About an hour after, foam roll/stretch
    Before bed, foam roll/stretch again
  • No_excuses_nikki
    No_excuses_nikki Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first 5k. I did stretch/warm up before and after the run. My legs were pretty sore the next day too... Make sure to drink alot of water it will help. Maybe soak in a hot bath and find my yoga stretchs to help with the pain. If you need too take pain meds take ibprophen ;)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry! Been there and it's painful! Well, now you not what not to do!

I always walk briskly 5 minutes, stretch 5 minutes, walk briskly 5 minutes, run and then repeat the brisk walk, stretch, slower walk and if I have time, I stretch again. I rarely get sore unless I run on hills now, so I'm being careful until I get used to them.
    Have you tried C25K? There is a free app called C25K free. I love it and use it with Pandora. If the first week of running is too hard, try walking fast during the run segments, then start over with slow jogging. Eventually you will be able to start it running!

Even while sore, you should try to exercise some. It'll make you feel better & recover quicker. Can you swim? That may be easier until you heal. I've had shin splints that have lasted 2 weeks or more. Hopefully you don't have those, but you should try to do some sort of exercise anyway. Rubbing my sore legs with shower lotion helps, as does ice, if it's really bad. Try some OTC pain relievers. Soak in a hot tub?

Good luck!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Always do a walking warm up beforehand. Happy running!
  • rhs450
    rhs450 Posts: 1
    Options
    I always get some increased muscle soreness about 2 days after introducing a new activity. You probably just did a little too much for your first time. You might want to do some daily stretching and walking until the worst of the soreness subsides. Then ease back into it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Clearly I went about running the wrong way, but has anyone ever had this happen before or know what I need to do for these calves?

Well done, you've discovered overdoing it :)

I tried to get into running several times in the past and each time I did something similar to what you've described, injured myself and ended up hating it. I started again about 14 months ago, as an adjunct to helping lose weight, and now am working on a half marathon plan.

I'd recommend coming up with some form of progressive approach, that's not going to hammer you like this. Personally I used a Couch to 5K programme, but if you prefer just go out for a period, or distance and keep adding a little time or distance on each session. The benefit of an interval based plan like C25K is that it's a good duration of session from day 1, you're straight into a 30 minute workout rather than 10 minute, and I'd suggest that progression is a little faster as well. I used a C25K podcast and found that it forced me to moderate my pace and effort into a more manageable progression. Felt ridiculous the first couple of weeks, but taking the time paid dividends later in the programme, and then moving onto longer distances.

The plan I used, NHS podcast, had a five minute walk in, and a 5 minute cool down walk as well. Nowadays I tend to go straight into my run, pick up the pace after a few minutes to get to my target pace for my session.

I always stretch out afterwards; calves, quads, hamstrings, lower back, upper back. It's also worth doing some form of resistance training on your off days, I use You Are Your Own Gym which is pretty good. Strengthening the muscles around the joints help to mitigate the risk of injuring yourself, so that you don't end up in the same situation you are now. Personally I wouldn't stretch beforehand, as easing into the session does what's needed to loosen up.

After a long run I generally feel a bit sore, had a 13km session this morning and my calves are feeling it a bit, seven hours later.
  • ashes_56
    ashes_56 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Glad to know this is normal, I was expecting some muscle soreness, but not to the extent that I could hardly move lol. Lesson learned I guess, I'll keep at it and work my way up! :)