Best foods to buy on a budget

Options
2»

Replies

• josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I second the endorsement of Aldi - their veg is fab, all their dairy products esp the lower fat yogurts, cottage cheese and cream cheese are great. I also like their frozen veg as they have a good range and its much cheaper than other places. Chicken and meat tend to be very good value too.

I understand that Lidl is pretty good too if you have one, but mine is out of the way and Aldi is nearby so I don't know from personal experience.

I have also started to buy things like Crispbakes, crispbread and rice cakes in B&M bargains or Home Bargains. The dates are often short but they don't tend to hang around long if you eat them regularly - some people are more wound up by 'best before dates' than others anyway. They also can have good prices on eggs and some of the more regular food which might reduce the overall spend for your boyfriend's extras.

I make a lot of filling soups, veg curries, bean chilis and freeze the portions I don't need immediately. I find that helps keep costs down plus means there is always something to eat on those 'can't be bothered' nights.
  • doointhis4me
    doointhis4me Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I suggest avoiding all highly processed foods - pre-packaged meals are poor value as they are usually high in sodium, fats and sugar and not very satisfying. You can bulk buy rice and pasta etc, veggies are cheap if you buy in season and cheaper cuts of meat are good if you slow cook them

I'm sorry but fat and sugar not very satisfying?!? SMH......what the what?!? LUCY you got some 'splain' to do..........

Fat and sugar are not lasting satisfaction.... I think that is all the "splain" needed.

i actually LOL while reading all this
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My weekly budget is very tight so I base most of my buys around high protein

3lb bag of frozen chicken(6.99 at walmart)
    2 in half dozen eggs(4.50 at walmart)
    Canned tuna and chicken breast(4 cans for 3 bucks and canned chicken breast 1 each. Great value brand)
    bananas(19 cents a piece at Trader Joe's)
    Sandwich thins(papito 1.99 at walmart)
    Strawberries (under 2bucks at Walmart)
    Some form of green leaves(spinach or kale 1.99 at trader joe's)
    Fage 0 and Trader Joe's plain yogurt 3.49 for fage and 2.79 for trader joe's ...23 grams of protein (fage) and 22 grams of protein TJ
    Dried lentils and Green peas great value brand...walmart like.... a buck and some change I believe
    Nonfat milk
    Turkey breakfast sausage... my only true splurge at 3.99... my latest love.. lol
    Avocados 70 cents a piece
    Whole organic carrots from trader joe's under a buck.

Eggs and bag of chicken will usually last a few weeks as well as tuna as I try not to eat no more than two cans of tuna a week.

I will buy other things on sale like some red meat etc for tacos and such. My budget right now is 45 dollars a week.

Edit: Seen you are from the UK. Do not know if you have a Walmart or TJ out that way. But the food I mentioned above should be reasonably priced anywhere.
  • doointhis4me
    doointhis4me Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Farmers markets a lot of times are cheaper, you help local farmers, and the food is better and tends to last longer.

Eggs are cheap and good. I have eggs all the time.

Whole chickens, as someone else mentioned.

this is a good place to start.. Farmers markets have a lot of good fruits and veggies and the price is usually not that bad :-)
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    To be fair there are different types of Farmers Markets in the UK. Some are great loaded with fresh produce at reasonable prices, however some are expensive rare breed vanity places. Not everyone is lucky enough to get the former sadly.

But there are often market stalls in towns which can be great for veg and fruit.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Not sure how helpful this will be since we live in different countries, but I LOVE imitation crab. It's cheap; fits my calorie, marco, and micro goals; and tastes great to me.

I'm also a fan of beef liver for the same reasons I previously provided. :drinker:
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Lemons are good. Fresh is best but frozen produce is priced better usually.
    As well it won't spoil. :)If you have mark down places buying in bulk
    some walnuts/almonds/rice/oats maybe?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I suggest avoiding all highly processed foods - pre-packaged meals are poor value as they are usually high in sodium, fats and sugar and not very satisfying. You can bulk buy rice and pasta etc, veggies are cheap if you buy in season and cheaper cuts of meat are good if you slow cook them

I'm sorry but fat and sugar not very satisfying?!? SMH......what the what?!? LUCY you got some 'splain' to do..........

Fat and sugar are not lasting satisfaction.... I think that is all the "splain" needed.

strong I mean STRONG first post; and fat not be satisfying...sure run with it, believe it, and you haven't explained anything.