No more excuses!

Options
Hi all! :) I posted on a few other boards before noticing this one so I'm going to repeat some info about myself here, some of which I already gave on another board. Sorry if you've read any of this verbatim!

I'm Iapyx! I've just started trying to get fit and I don't really have anyone to do it with so I'm hoping the MFP community can help me on my way! Feel free to add me as a friend, especially if we have anything in common or are shooting for the same goals!

Little info about my goals: I'm an 18 yr old female, 5'3 and 117 lbs. I do regular cardio but I want to start strength training. I have IBS and I want to be strong and fit in spite of that so that even when I'm having a flare up or feel exhausted or bloated I am able to live a pretty normal life, and I want to live longer and be healthier and feel better in general! I'm totally lost so at the moment my current plan is to
1. consult with my doctor about my current condition,
2. Meet with a nutritionist to develop a diet which won't wreck my body, and
3. Meet with a personal trainer to develop a workout plan. Right now I'm able to get to the gym about twice a week, and while I'm there I usually run on the treadmill at 6mph for 20 minutes, then swim for 20 minutes. When I am having a flare-up or am too tired or have work (I work a 9-5 job three days a week and can't get to the gym on those days) I try to walk at least 3 miles a day. It usually takes me half an hour to walk 3 miles, most I've gotten to is 5.

I have Bipolar type II and GAD (and have been depressed in the past) but I didn't start receiving treatment until the beginning of this year, so until then I was unable to maintain any sort of workout routine. I ate crap and felt like crap and was generally miserable. But I responded really well to medication and now that my head feels clean and healthy, I want to do the same for my body :) I'm kind of floundering right now because all of this is a pretty big lifestyle change for me, but I'm determined to find out how to help myself, make a plan and follow through with it!

I talk a lot, sorry. But it's nice to meet you all! I'm hoping that being in a community will help me stick with this. I have my own hurdles, but up until now I've used them as excuses, when really they don't have to be, they're just things I need to work around. So no more excuses!

Replies

• heatherws113
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I am new too. Sounds like you have your goals set and you are ready to roll! :happy:
  • Iapyxs
    Iapyxs Posts: 5
    Options
    Well, some days I get really enthusiastic and other days I get really pessimistic, so I'm trying to pull the enthusiasm into my pessimistic days too :)