avacado

Options
tamikia87
tamikia87 Posts: 66 Member
How much avacado is healthy to consume in a day? Is one whole one to much? I know their high in fat...

Replies

• Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Here is a link:

http://www.avocadocentral.com/nutrition/avocado-nutrition-health-facts-label

I think it depends on how many calories you are working with a day. For me, I work with 1900 calories daily so I could eat an entire one and still have plenty of calories to spare to meet my nutritional needs and satisfy my appetite.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    There's no limit. Fats are good for you.
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Once I did devour a whole one in a day but my norm is ½ per day.
    I believe it's relative at per meal. My guess 1.5-2 may be ok a day.
    I'm not certain I'll watch this thread for more replies. Never know
    when I might wanna really indulge in more avacado than usual! :)
  • tamikia87
    tamikia87 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies... Just curious how do you store yours once they are cut? I was told avacado should be consumed within 3-4 hours of cutting, that is why I ate a whole one as I don't like to waste...
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Avocados have healthy fats and vitamins so if it fits into your macros I am sure its safe to eat a whole one. Never heard of anyone OD'ing on avocados lol.
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies... Just curious how do you store yours once they are cut? I was told avacado should be consumed within 3-4 hours of cutting, that is why I ate a whole one as I don't like to waste...

If you put lime juice on it, it will keep it from going brown. I usually store it in a zip lock baggie and eat it within 2 days of cutting it open.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    ^^ this - lime/lemon juice will keep it from browning - since both my wife and I love avacado, we usually don't have storage problems... :happy:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a whole one every day in my salad, and the only negative I saw was -60 lbs on the scale.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat them but I love them. Today I had a whole avocado - half on a breakfast sandwich and half for lunch on a frozen Mexican meal. Both meals came to about 1000 calories so not unreasonable at all. Also a good source of fiber + fat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 20-50 grams a day which works out to be about 1/8...I love the texture of them in salads, on crackers, on my burgers etc.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I typically will eat 1/2 per day, but sometimes a whole one. As long as it fits in your macros, you're fine.

TIPS:

If you don't eat the whole avocado, store the remainder with the pit, which will keep it from going brown. You can cut them in half, and keep the pit in the half you don't eat, put in a sealed baggie (remove as much air as possible) and you're good to go. Or, if you make guacamole, keep the pit in the middle of the leftovers, seal with plastic wrap (press tight to guacamole, not just the bowl) and it will keep.
  • 1FearlessFighter
    1FearlessFighter Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i believe its spelt avOcado, and i usually have half a small avocado a day, third of a medium one and a quarter of a large one, but i usually buy the small ones so its more fresh
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Guacamole as a meal = 1 whole avocado, garlic, lemon juice, cracked black pepper, fresh coriander + a few Triscuits. Holy crap, this is a filling and delicious meal for tea or even a light dinner. All good for you. If you're looking to lose weight, then simply count your calories and you can fit one, whole avocado (or more) in every day.