Fitbit vs. Jawbone vs. Other things?

Options
Hey guys! I know this topic comes up allll the time, but as the products out there keep changing, I figure it'd be worthwhile to bring it up again.

I've been using a jawbone up (the old, non-bluetooth kind) that I bought used from ebay from someone who bought it used on ebay. It's pretty darn used at this point (the vibration motor is busted and one of the lights doesn't work), and after 2.5 weeks of using it, I'm getting kind of fed up and thinking I'll just buy a new one, especially since I spent relatively little on this. I tried going without it for a weekend,but I'm finding that having it does definitely help keep me motivated and accountable.

I've read tons of reviews online, but none of those match up to real human experiences.
So! MFP community! Have you tried these? How easy did you find them to use? (I've found on the jawbone up that I almost never know whether I've successfully put it in workout mode, though that's likely because of the aforementioned bustedness.) Do you like the apps? Do they sync well with MFP? How accurate did you feel they were, at least as guesstimates?

Especially -- ladies with small wrists -- how discreet did you find it? did it ever or frequently fall off?

Replies

• FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Flex and adore it. It like the interface of the website and phone app and it syncs great with MFP. I will say that if you are someone who hates wearing a device all the time, the One (which can clip to your bra) may be a better fit. My Flex is completely comfortable for me and I find the Slate color to be pretty neutral (though they sell bands in quite a few colors).
  • enriant
    enriant Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I don't mind wearing something bracelet- or watch-like all the time, I just don't like to advertise each part of my life to each other part, if that makes sense.
  • tennisfanatic
    Options
    I'm giving it a little more time for better products to come out. But I do swear by my Polar heart rate monitor watch that records heart rate, heart rate zones, calories burned etc. I wear it for my main exercise each day, like tennis or elliptical or biking. I am interested in the fitbit or something like it but I think we will see big improvements in those devices over the next 6 months or so.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Especially -- ladies with small wrists -- how discreet did you find it? did it ever or frequently fall off?

My Flex has never fallen off. I use the small size band and it's like a belt, it goes as tight as you need it.
  • enriant
    Options
    tennisfanatic -- I totally hear what you're saying. The fitbit force, for instance, is everything I could have dreamed... but was recently recalled, so I'm hesitant to buy something before the next gen comes out.

babyling -- Thanks so much! That's good to know. The jawbone I got was already a little stretched out, and while it doesn't fall off, I'm always nervous.
  • enriant
    Options
    shamlessly bumping this topic, because I think there're more people out there that might know things!
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    To start off I am a huge nerd.

I have a fitbit force (I didnt get a rash after a very long time having it so I kept it). I thought about turning it in, but I like having a watch, and to see activity minutes is kind of motivating to make me do more. It is small and discreet, looks like a watch, and it is a watch.

I also recently bought a H7 Heartrate monitor. It is also discreet since I am fully clothed during workouts. I use my phone while I'm woking out for music, so this thing being bluetooth is great, especially for running.

I love fitbits website and how it works with this one, I only started losing weight when I logged food here and went by the fitbits calories (not mfps, they think I can eat too much lol). I was weighing all my food before but I feel like I am doing better now by doing this too. I like this websites community and the food database is tops!

I bought my mother a thing called the polar loop (the heartrate monitor people) and she likes that too and said it looks like a pretty bracelet. From what I have read the thing is pretty darn accurate too. And if you have the heartrate monitor they work together, if the force craps out I'll get one too.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Other things! That sounds exciting and intriguing!

I vote for Other things!!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    (Just kidding, I like the fitbit.)
  • Cbree6
    Cbree6 Posts: 3
    Options
    I bought a new Jawbone UP24, the interface is cool and easy to understand, it is convenient because just wear it around my wrist and go. Though truthfully I don't want to always wear the darn thing. In my opinion it needs a few additional things to monitor like, heart rate, BP, or Oxygen levels.

In addition, I don't FEEL it is quite accurate as far as the sleep mode, I don't have proof other than most nights I may read 3-6 hrs after getting into bed depending on how good the book is and I place it in sleep mode because I'm in bed. When I check the next day it states that I had such&such of deep sleep, etc... Other than that I do love the partnership between MFP, Up, and my Withings Scale.

I've been meaning to try another item but due to injuries I'm not very active and don't really see the point of throwing more money out there. I would prefer something I don't have to wear on my wrist. Any suggestions?
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I got the Flex over July 4th weekend. Loved it. Motivated me to get off my butt and move.
    I wanted more, got the Force in November. Loved it to death, so much so it died earlier this month and since the recall they weren't able to replace it (refund on it's way).
    I went back to the Flex. Found I was NOT loving it as much as I was spoiled by what the Force offered. My step count decreased since I couldn't see my actual steps at the push of a button.
    Yesterday taking advantage of a holiday 25% off online coupon, I bought the Garmin Vivofit w/HRM at Sports Authority.

Currently wearing both as Fitbit syncs with MFP and I get rewards on other websites for using it.
    As far as comfort goes, I wanted the band as I knew I'd either wash the device or forget to wear it.
    For security on band devices, BitBelt works for Flex, Force, and Garmin Vivofit that I'm aware of