How long did it take you to learn what to eat?

Options
I'm finding this to be the most difficult thing for me. I've spent a long part of my life indulging in food that's terrible for me, and now that I'm serious about completely changing my eating habits, I'm having trouble figuring out what I need to eat.

I've been scouring the forums and taking notes on what to buy, but I still feel like it just hasn't "clicked" for me yet. I'm just wondering if there's anyone else out there like me, and if so, how long did it take you to learn what you can and can't eat without relying on "notes", so to speak.

I'm basically just looking for encouragement that it will get a bit easier in the future! (Although I'm completely aware that there isn't much that's easy about a lifestyle change like this)

Replies

• CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    For me, I just entered what I was eating and saw what I was having...and was horrified by the high number of calories and fat and sodium, and I made adjustments slowly... Now, it feels almost second nature to not eat the "bad" foods.

I am still troubled by the healthier options of food, but the intake of the bad has declined drastically.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    First off....don't give up all the bad stuff at once. You'll cave and then binge on it and undo everything you've worked so hard for.
    Try one or two new 'healthy' things a week. Intergrate them slowly.
    Pick up an issue of Clean Eating...it's one of the best magazines out there for healthy eating (IMHO).
    Feel free to PM me if you wish.
    :flowerforyou:
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Read the book

Food Rules

It is short and too the point.
  • kayode1
    Options
    Sometimes when I was wondering if something was "good" or "bad" I would put the information in the database to see how much fat and calories it had BEFORE I ate it. Boy was that an eye opener at first. I have been at this since June 2010 and I am still learning. It has gotten alot easier though! Take it slow and it will come with time.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    It took at least a month for me to get it all under my belt. I hated it when I would make a mistake thinking a food would be low cal, go back to MFP and find out the complete opposite! After a while things became second nature. Cheese is higher in calories, stay away from sauces, avoid high sodium...I remember some shopping trips where my husband and I were exhausted from looking at every nutritional list on the back of an item and trying to figure out if the serving size was worth the calories...and so on.

Be patient with yourself. Its the same with learning any other topic. Whether you are studying for a degree or a trade. It takes time to absorb all of the knowledge, except with this? You are benefiting yourself!!! Giving yourself a healthy lifestyle and learning things that no one can take away from you! How awesome is that?!!?
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Michael Pollan said it really well, in seven words:

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

Read the whole article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html

The gist is that we need to be eating real, recognizable FOOD. In moderation. And most of that food should be a plant, be it a grain, vegetable, or fruit.
  • lsiberian
    Options
    As long as you hit your macro-nutrient targets. You could eat twinkies and still lose weight. Not that I suggest that, but it is not about what you eat as much as it as about how much you eat.

You want to aim to hit 2000-2500 mg of sodium.

Whole Wheat, Lean meats, Fruits, Veggies, Nuts etc are all good for you.

Cookies, candies, meats high in saturated fats, salt laden foods are mostly bad for you.

That being said eating cookies doesn't mean you screwed up as long as you don't go over the limit for calories each day.

Avoid eating out. If it is low in calories it is generally high in sodium.

Remember to take a good multivitamin and stay below the calorie count. Make very sure you get enough good fats and protein each day too.
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat healthier for over 6 months, and I still have a lot to learn! Not to discourage you by any means, it's just that it's a continual process. I learn something new everyday.

One thing I tried at first was thinking, "How can I still eat things I love but make them in a healthier way?" Switching out white bread products for 100% whole wheat was a good start for me (LOVE Sara Lee 45 calorie honey whole wheat bread).

Pay attention to nutrition labels. That helped me a lot when deciding what cheese to buy, for example. I found that the presliced mozzarella cheese slices have fewer calories and fat than the presliced cheddar.

Just start with a few small changes like this. After awhile, you won't even have to think too hard about those, and then find a few new changes to make. Good luck--you can do it!!!
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat healthier for over 6 months, and I still have a lot to learn! Not to discourage you by any means, it's just that it's a continual process. I learn something new everyday.

One thing I tried at first was thinking, "How can I still eat things I love but make them in a healthier way?" Switching out white bread products for 100% whole wheat was a good start for me (LOVE Sara Lee 45 calorie honey whole wheat bread).

Pay attention to nutrition labels. That helped me a lot when deciding what cheese to buy, for example. I found that the presliced mozzarella cheese slices have fewer calories and fat than the presliced cheddar.

Just start with a few small changes like this. After awhile, you won't even have to think too hard about those, and then find a few new changes to make. Good luck--you can do it!!!

This is something another user got me thinking about too, and I think this is part of the way I'm definitely going to approach it. I know if I try to cut carbs out in the beginning, I'll be doomed. I need to slowly move away from so many carbs, but I do intend to find healthier bread options, and use mustard instead of mayo (one of my bigger downfalls in the past :P).

And thanks for all the other replies, everyone. All your advice is so helpful, I don't know how I'd do this without you all!
  • george_park
    george_park Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not too long. I'm basically counting calories (1200) so I end up eating what fits into that 'limit' trying to keep away from high carbs, etc. I may have a piece of brownie or cake knowing that the first bite tastes like the last so I don't really feel like I'm missing anything. I eat egg beaters with veggies, low cal bagels and deli flats, limit cheese, oatmeal, healthy choice soups, etc. All easy and pretty tasty low cal foods. I log everything via my android phone and PC, everything...

Hang in there, I'm at around 135lbs lost so far and doing well changing my eating habits.
  • mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It takes a few weeks, maybe more or less depending on how dedicated you are and how much time you have. Concentrate on revamping one meal at a time. Start with a healthy breakfast and work out a few good meals that you enjoy. And at the beginning it was easier (for me) if I set up some tried and true meals and make sure I have what I need. For example, I have a few favorite breakfasts, and i just make sure that I have the things I need, and then it is not such a big decision as to what I can eat. For example, have an egg based meal planned, a cereal based meal planned, a yogurt based meal planned and an oatmeal based meal planned (or whatever works for you) And know what goes with it (like one piece of fruit, or milk, or toast, whatever you should add to the main item for a meal). Then go to lunch and work out a few favorite lunches. And remember, if you find a healthy food you enjoy, eat it. I eat vegetables for breakfast all the time.
  • rawdefault
    Options
    It can take a couple of months to get into a good diet routine - and sometimes longer after that, if you continue to adjust and improve your meals to get the maximum health benefits as you learn more about nutrition and your body.
    Posting more 'notes' here won't help you (I assume you've already read hundreds of these!), but just go at a pace that suits you, and continue to increase your knowledge about nutrition and health.
    Best of luck!
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    It took me 41+ years to learn what to eat. 9 years ago, wow I can't believe that, we lost weight and looked like we got into shape by eating low fat, high protein, counting calories & exercise. I even taught others this method. What I seriously didn't know was that there's a lot more to it than that. About 19 months ago I felt like an old lady. I was so tired all of the time.

Please, please, please, look into the Mediterranean Diet. It's not a paid "diet" program it's the lifestyle diet of the Mediterranean area on the map. It is fact that those people live the longest w/out disease. I've learned how to make our food. We don't buy processed food anymore, with the exception of the holidays when we bought sugar for certain Christmas desserts, and for time sake, I bought cream cheese and sour cream but I usually make all of our own. Maybe next year I'll prepare better and make enough yogurt which makes sour cream & cream cheese ahead of time.

I am living proof that you can lose weight and eat the richest in all of the world! I gained weight from eating too much of it but by tracking here, I've got it off and I'm still sliming down! WHOO!
  • erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was always toned and in shape til I hit college (hello buffet food and beer!), and have been struggling with 15-20 pounds ever since.

I did Weight Watchers for a while, but that still allows you bad foods as long as they're the "right amount".

To answer your question, I think I JUST learned how to eat well. I discovered "clean eating" and it was an "ah ha" moment for me. The basic principle is eat what the Earth provides. Man made stuff is crap! So I stick to eggs, veggies, fruit, meat and whole grains (like quinoa and couscous). At first I felt like I was being super "granola" and snobby but my body felt AMAZING.

On a very basic level, your body has a number of functions to perform. It needs to breathe, move, flex, maintain organs and tissues...those functions require certain fuels namely protein, fat (there is "good" fat), carbs (there are "good" carbs)....you get the point.

I expect more from my food now. Yes, a cupcake tastes delicious but it doesn't contain anything that will make my body thrive. Veggies and lean meats, on the other hand, will fill me up FAST, and make my body thrive. I've noticed differences in my energy level, skin, hair, and even how bright my eyes are!

You wouldn't put processed/crap fuel into a Maserati would you? Pick the best "fuels" nature provides and your body will run and operate better than you could have ever imagined.
  • minervasp73
    Options
    It's really difficult to do this all at once. Read the nutrition labels of the stuff you have in your cupboards and it will horrify you. I've been working towards eating REAL food without chemicals for some time now. For a while there my weight just ballooned because it all tastes so good !!

Now that I'm getting a better idea of what is okay for my body to ingest, and what keeps me full the longest, I'm using this tracker to not eat too much of it. Great success so far. You can do it too!

Break things down into very simple components and get away from fake food. Once you're comfortable with real food you can build on your meal ideas from there.

Keep counting, and good luck !!
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Before I did this I did WW online, before that I did Jenny Craig. With Jenny Craig they're super big on planning your daily meals ahead of time for a week and entering it in on their print out chart. This makes you need to do research into just what you're eating. So for about a year I did my notes, I'm not sure when it just became second nature to know what was good, what was bad.

There will always be certain foods you think are good at the time then BLAMO turns out they're not. I always fall into the peanut trap. You figure they're healthy and all but BLAMO they're loads of calories just for 12 measly peanuts!!

Don't feel ashamed at making notes. Eventually it will become second nature.
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    No food is off limits or "bad" - some cost more calories/fat, etc. than others, but they aren't "bad". I would say if it is overwhelming, just start with keeping your calories at your daily goal. As you record the foods you eat, you can see where you get more bang for your buck. Then you can slowly start figuring out what your "go do" foods are - the things you know are satisfying that don't use up all of your calories, etc. Good luck. You took the hardest step - starting!
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My situation is a little diferent. I am not even 34 yet with cholesterol and triglicerides out of the chart. Not kidding, the doctor was very very worried when I refuse to take medicine b/c i want to show him I can make it normal with the right lifestyle. I had to laern it very fast and a friend help me a lot.
    So I went radical on what I buy: I only buy past and bread that are whole grain and without high frutose corn syrup, and the other sugar stuff (they are horrible to triglicerides) and only what I call "smart" fats from fish,nuts, olives, avocado and olive oil, the can actually help to lower cholesterol. I am only eating egg whites b/c the egg yolk is full of cholesterol. Oh and real butter is better for you artrites than margarine, I had to research a lot on that. I grow up listening to my grandfather who is italian but lived years in Turkey and Greece saying that and never believed him. I should have listening to him. All the dairy I buy is fat free and/or low fat, things like cottage cheese, sour cream, shredded cheese, milk.
    I eat a lot of beans!
    Do I eat red meat? very little, once in a while. If I am cooking I go for chicken and fish.
    Most of my carbs came from grains like oatmeal and oat bran, I only eat bread once a day, and fruits and veggies.
    Off course if I go out with friends I will eat whatever I can eat in the restaurant or whatever they are serving at their house, but it is with moderation.
    If you have anyother question feel to ask me!
  • marniehodges
    Options
    One of the biggest things that helped me was checking out the food diaries of my friends here. They had some great ideas I never would have thought of. And I love that they also check out mine and give me suggestions. I started here on MFP mid November and didn't have a clue what I was doing either. Now it's almost second nature. Hang in there! You'll get the hang of it!
  • rawdefault
    Options
    Yeah Jessieleah, you're more than welcome to check out my food diary! :)