Just got a job! At McDonalds! :')

Options

Replies

• carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've worked at McDonald's before. I got $5 in free food for a short shift, and longer shifts I got $7 in free food. Of course at the time, I wasn't working on losing weight. If you are really concerned about it, then you could pack your own lunch to take with you and have a treat every once in awhile. My store didn't mind if I brought my own stuff in at all.
  • slimmerang
    slimmerang Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My advice is to just remember that it takes 524 burpees to burn off a large fry.

Burpees suck, so choose wildly!

Solid advice.

THIS!!!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    My advice is to just remember that it takes 524 burpees to burn off a large fry.

Solid advice.

THIS!!!

Do all three of you do a burpee for each calorie you eat throughout the day? Because in that case a grilled chicken breast from McDonalds by itself would cost you 90 burpees.
  • aqxu
    aqxu Posts: 3
    Options
    Just follow IIFYM...you can eat anything you want
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, after a few weeks you'll never want to eat there again.

At least that's what happened when I worked at Sonic.

(eta: not because of cleanliness or anything, just because I got tired of it)

In the meantime, there are plenty of good options to be had at McDonalds. My advice is to prelog before you go to work, so you already have in your head what will fit your goals.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Solid advice.

choosing wildly is solid advice? okay.

also you mean a large order of fries right not one single long fry from the box. I HAVE to clarify because there is a history of intense demonizing of McDonalds so I just wanna be sure.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Okay now for my answer.

I worked at a food place in my youth. A real restaurant sit down and whatnot.

I found it easy to pick healthy.

I think you will too. I think you should choose a fave thing and eat it all the days and then like every 4th or 5th shift you let yourself have those fries and milkshake. Just so you don't crave them eternally but they don't rule your food diary. Make sense?
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Oh be careful. I always had a bit of chub, but when I worked at McDonalds in high school and college the weight started to creep on.

Now, I love McDonalds and I still eat it once a week. I'll usually have a regular extra value meal with a diet soda. No more mayo or vanilla shakes to dip the fries in. I had originally switched to buffalo sauce, but after entering that here and seeing how much salt was in it, I now enjoy a hot, salted fry fresh from the fryer without anything to adulterate it. If I eat McD's more than once a week, I have a cheeseburger happy meal on any visit after the first.

If I had to work at McDonalds again, I'd say to bring your own meal most of the week and really savor the meal or 2 you eat there. Heck, I'd eat fast food every day if I could (thus why I ended up 80-ish pounds over weight), but I've been tracking calories and succeeding this time around because I don't deprive myself of what I love, I just make sure I don't go overboard.
  • darkhunters1983
    Options
    oh god!! that would kill me i love the bacon and egg mc muffins but i think if you work there you would get sick of it so it may even be in your best interest
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I worked at McDonald's one summer and we got free food. I think I probably only ate there one time. The food really doesn't appeal to me. OTOH, I gained quite a bit working at a pizza place.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I like the plain hamburger, it goes in the kids meals. 12 grams of protien, 250 calories.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You will grow tired of the food, ironically when I worked at McD's I was the lightest possibly underweight than I had ever been in my whole entire adult life, pick wisely if you have fries have a salad with it instead of a burger. Do remember it's quite a physical job, I was on my feet for 7-8 hours even if you only work on tills you are constantly moving, I was always grabbing stock moving boxes. So do take this into your calorie count.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I worked there back in the day as my first job and ill tell ya i did not want to eat there after working there, so you should be good lol
  • beccataz23
    beccataz23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have worked at McDonalds for over a year now and it is the cause for my weight gain. I started working there about two months before summer and while working there I didnt think anything about eating their food and defiantly wasnt weight conscious. Just over the summer alone (and I was only part time) I gained over 15 pounds. It may not seem like a lot but being 5'3 it defiantly shows. So far I have lost about 6 pounds and still have 11 to go. Working there is really hard! Im always tempted to get a big mac as my "goodbye meal" but on special days I'll get a parfait. As long as you dont make a habit of getting the food you'll be fine. Sometimes I even bring a lunch so I dont eat all the crap. I just try to remember "A moment on the lips is a lifetime on the hips"! Good luck!
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    For those of you who do/have worked there- is there any way to bring your own food or is it totally against rules to bring outside food to a food establishment?
  • beccataz23
    beccataz23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can bring your own food, a bunch of us will go to panera up the road and bring it back to eat. Even the managers will go grab taco bell or something for their break :)
  • Casistrophic
    Casistrophic Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice, guys!

Pre-logging meals is a great idea, especially since I will be working the latest shift and around that time is when I always get the urge to graze. Packing lunches is another good idea, but we're on food stamps right now and taking advantage of the free meal could mean $50 worth of food in a month that we don't have to buy, and that's substantial.

I'm gonna out myself as a five year old right now and admit that I can't eat wraps because I don't like lettuce, but apple slices and the parfait are both great options. I think I'm gonna make french fries with milkshake a once-a-month treat, as much as it pains me to gaze upon their golden deliciousness *-*
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    We can bring in our own food, my eating there for free is purely a budget necessary move on my part.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Two things... get the grilled chicken if they still let you do things with that for your employee meal (corporate stores still did when I worked at one though that was five years ago), and if you get things with beef be that person who asks them not to salt the patties.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I've never worked there, but whenever I do a McDonald's splurge, I always get a small fry and a cheeseburger, both off the dollar menu. If they let you do that, go for it! Never breaks the calorie bank for me, and I can easily fit them in my macros for the day.

If you can't, go for their grilled options, or maybe a salad. If you get a full meal, you can always portion it out and save the rest for a meal later on that day (prob wouldn't eat it after the same day, though!).