Got any high protein snack ideas? Please share them here!

Options
I'm not a big meal kinda gal. I have to be in the mood to go all in and when I do, I must sleep right after... so that being said, I tend to snack throughout the day and I need to up my protein intake just to get my micronutrients evened out. Like many people, I have a lot of trouble of not overdoing the carbs. Now that I'm rambling, would you mind, if you're so kind, to share your lovely snack ideas, and if they're high in protein, the better for me!

So, I have the following down:

1) boiled eggs
2) apples and peanut butter
3) cashews/mixed nuts
4) soymilk (in drinks like tea or coffee -- I'm addicted haha)
5) hummus
6) baked chicken breasts (yes, I consider them snacks if I eat them in portions that are 180 calories or less)

My list is depressingly short. I know.. haha

Replies

• F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    protein bars or drinks. You can find some for around 200cals. Fat free Greek yogurt. Mix some honey or peanut butter into it and it's amazing. I put 1/4 of a crushed butterfinger and some honey in it yesterday and it was super good.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Cheese, greek yogurt, tuna, protein powder added to water, milk or yogurt.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I want a warm snack, so 3 turkey sausage links heated up the microwave.
    Sharp cheddar and apple slices.
  • summerbrunette23
    summerbrunette23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How could I forget about greek yogurt, honey, or even tuna!? Those other ideas are really good, too! thank you! :)
  • summerbrunette23
    Options
    Turkey sausages sound really good! Will add on to the list!
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    -cottage cheese mixed with some protein powder fruit and nuts
    -quest bars
    -greek yogurt and honey
    grilled fish, veggies and lintels
    egg plus egg white veggie and swiss omelet
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I actually have trouble trying to hit my carb goal right now. I don't like to be below 40% much (40-45 is ideal for me right now).
    My protein goal is 35% right now. Sometimes I hit over 40% & I don't like that - my body feels weird. I don't like to go much below 30% though.

I don't like to eat a lot of meat either, but I usually have things like this daily in regards to protein:
    Morning: some sort of smoothie protein shake I make at home ~250 cals
    Brunch: throw some edamame &/or an avocado or nuts into a yummy salad ~ 250 cals
    Lunch: tuna or chicken < 200 cals
    Greek yogurt ~ 130 cals
    Snack champion: egg white bites. I make a batch of 24 a week & bring them to work to eat like 6 a day. Those 6 are only like 115 cals & 20g or protein or something.
    At night if I'm hungry trying to get to sleep, I'll have a scoop of peanut butter, or handful of nuts
    I also like Quest bars, since I work at a gym & am stuck around prepackaged snacks that I wouldn't eat if I wasn't. Quest bars are 20g of protein & 17g of fiber though, so that's good at least.
  • summerbrunette23
    Options
    Thank you ladies! :)
    Will definitely try them out!
  • baseballgirl2027
    baseballgirl2027 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    LOVE sharp cheddar and apple slices!

My protein snacks include:

Like most everyone else, Quest Bars (read the labels though...some of them have artificial sugars if you watch out for that sort of thing.)
    Deviled Eggs
    BACON!!!
    Celery with almond butter
    Grilled chicken chunks drizzled with homemade honey mustard (pretty much some local raw honey mixed with good old French's yellow.)

And this sounds weird, but I love ham or turkey slices wrapped around a dill pickle spear. Not so great if you watch your sodium, but down here in South Florida I sweat it all out halfway into my run. :)
  • RhysWill_I_Ams
    Options
    I make protein cookies which are
    2 bananas
    2 scoops protein powder
    2 cups rolled oats
    handful of walnuts

Mix well spoon onto a baking tray into small circles. Bake for 17 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. They taste amazing!!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites: Greek yogurt- either the fruit flavored ones or regular vanilla with fresh/ frozen fruit and granola, beef jerky with a cheese stick, cottage cheese, edamame, dry roasted almonds (cocoa, raspberry, and blueberry flavored ones are my favorites), I also make protein powder muffins, pancakes, and waffles
  • MissSmoothie
    Options
    Hi, I recommend buying a NutriBullet and making smoothies. I don't cook at all during the summer, but I'm only responsible for me! Find a good plant-based protein (Vita-cost) has amazing prices and super fast shipping).

A good rule of thumb for smoothies is:
    - 2 greens
    - 2 cups liquids
    - 3 fruits
    Yes, this is a lot, but it's at least a meal. I usually go with:
    - 2 greans
    - 11/2 cups liquid
    - 2 fruits
    - 1 scoop protein powder

Greens: spinach and kale to start off with
    Liquids: I use UNSWEETENED Almond or Coconut milk - plain, vanilla or chocolate - try them all
    Fruits: I use an apple in every smoothie and add something frozen to make the smoothies cold and thick.
    Strawberries, blueberries, bananas (high in sugar, only once per day), mangos, pineapple, raspberries (low in sugar,
    high in fiber, 60 calories per cup). Go to the Farmers Market and buy fresh fruit, freeze it at home. When buying frozen fruit from the grocery store, read the labels: make sure there are no added sugars. Stock up during the summer.

Add PBSlim to chocolate protein powder and a frozen banana and you'll be in heaven!

You won't ever need to add sugar or sweetened of any kind because the fruit will make it sweet enough. You won't taste the spinach at all because the fruit and flavor of the protein powder will trick you into believing the veggies aren't even there.

Drink Up!
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Beef and turkey jerky are great low calorie, high protein options. An ounce has 80 calories and about 13 g of protein. I have to be careful with it because it's so high in sodium, though.

Power Crunch protein bars taste like wafer cookies with frosting! They're a little cheaper than Quest bars but also low in sugar. They usually run about 200 calories, but they're big enough that half of one would still be a good snack.
  • summerbrunette23
    Options
    Just know that you all are wonderful people, okay? Thank you very much!!
  • Rancerox
    Rancerox Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I make protein cookies which are
    2 bananas
    2 scoops protein powder
    2 cups rolled oats
    handful of walnuts

Mix well spoon onto a baking tray into small circles. Bake for 17 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. They taste amazing!!

Okay, these I have to try. Do you have any specs on these cookies or do you just add it all up and divide by cookie yield?

I'm also a fan of the yogurt / protein powder mix. Grilled chicken breasts are amazing for snacking, if you dice them up.

I forgot all about sharp cheddar; man, I love that stuff.

Thanks everyone. I will be doing some traveling this summer and these are some great ideas to pack along.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    These are my favourite for a protein snack.

Protein Balls
    3 tablespoons each of PB2, chocolate protein powder, unsweetened cocoa powder and instant oatmeal. Add stevia or sweetener to taste (I add about 2 teaspoons). Mix together and then add enough water to moisten and form balls. Roll in coconut and enjoy! It makes about 15 balls and they end up being 36 calories each.
  • VirginiaM4
    VirginiaM4 Posts: 10
    Options
    Today I opened a can of tuna, mixed half of it with 2 teaspoons of salsa and dolloped that half out over cucumber slices. It was really tasty and light. (paleo inspired & budget friendly)