BMR

Options
I am confused about what I have been doing! I started this round of weight loss about 3 months ago, basically took the last 3 weeks off, overall I am only at 14 lbs lost. I had always followed MFP recommendation, 1200+exercise calories per day. I definetly had days that I went over but about 75 percent of the time I was right on. I had never heard of BMR until a recent post. So after looking it up, it says I should be at 1622 cals a day. Now does this mean I should eat 1622+exercise cals or just 1622 no matter what??? And, should I follow this and eat more than I have been or should I stick to the 1200? I have 70-80 lbs to go so I really need advice on what would best benifit me. Like everyone else, I want to lose the weight as fast as possible, but of course staying within the healthy guildlines. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!:smile:

Replies

• TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Your BMR is basically the amount of calories you would eat if you want to just maintain your current weight. You want a deficit in order to loose weight! So stick with the plan MFP has given you and EAT those exercise calories! :o)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    The higher number is the number you need to maintain your current weight. MFP has figured out the lower number so that you can lose weight. :)
  • xxjessikatxx
    Options
    My bmr is lower than what mfp is telling me to eat to lose 1/2 a pound a week?Does that seem right ive been losing weight like i should sometimes a little more than 1/2 pound a week..
  • janellnicole2
    Options
    I have MFP set to the max weight loss which I think per week for me was like 1.7 lbs or something. Thats why I was questioning this in the first place. Then I got even more confused cuz another site said I should eat 1500+exercise cals to lose 3 lbs per week----and that was based on my current and goal weight. So I guess, I am still confused! I trust MFP people though, so I am gonna stick with the suggestions I get!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    MFP does tend to be a bit lower. However the moment you notice a plateau in your weight loss, that's when you know you need to up your calories. My doctor suggested I eat 1500 calories in the beginning but once I got my ducks in a row and cut out the junk food, late night snacking and added a little exercise, 1200 calories was perfect. As time went on, I lowered my expected weight loss weekly from 2 pounds to 1.5 and so on in order to gain calories and keep my body from plateauing! Its a guessing game and you have to find what works for you!