strong lifts

Options
Is doing Strong lifts 5x5 suitable for women who don't want to bulk up but just lose weight?

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You can't gain muscle on deficit. I lift heavy and I am NOT "bulky". :bigsmile:
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It is difficult to build muscle (and in a calorie deficit very unlikely).

Stronglifs is a good program but might be too much volume (when in a deficit)-- Stronglifts is 5X5 .

Starting Strength (which is 3X5) has you doing 2 less sets per bodypart-- which when dieting you will appreciate.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes it is suitable for women...I've been doing it for 9 months.

It can be a lot of volume or you can just choose to not up the weight as fast as he suggests.

I didn't notice many stalls until the very end when the weights got really really heavy (200lb DL, 180lb squat, xxx Bench) but I have recently upped my calories by 150 and it's great now...still upping calories.

Did recently switch to 3x5 for time savings tho...

Starting strength can be intimidating due to one of the lifts being a power clean..that's what kept me away.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Starting strength can be intimidating due to one of the lifts being a power clean..that's what kept me away.

But you can omit the power clean and do 3X5 . For example,

Workout A
    Squat 3X5
    Bench presss 3X5
    Deadlift 1X5

Workout B
    Squat 3X5
    standing miliarty press 3X5
    Rows 3X5
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Workout A
    Squat 3X5
    Bench presss 3X5
    Deadlift 1X5

Workout B
    Squat 3X5
    Rows 3X5

That is basically stronglifts ...workout A Squat, bench, row Workout B squat OHP DL
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Workout A
    Squat 3X5
    Bench presss 3X5
    Deadlift 1X5

Workout B
    Squat 3X5
    Rows 3X5

That is basically stronglifts ...workout A Squat, bench, row Workout B squat OHP DL

I'm with Stef on this one. I was also a bit intimidated by the power clean. Otherwise they are very similar. I think I liked the 5 sets of 5 as I was quickly progressing because it made me feel like I was working for it. But agreed when it gets heavy, 3 sets of 5. I think the 5 sets of 5 were to make us practice good form at the beginning with the lower weights so we wouldn't injure ourselves later.

Also, to directly answer your question. I'm smaller from lifting not bulky.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I started SL a few weeks ago and like it a lot... ...

However, I think I'm going to switch over to ICF Novice 5x5. It is basically the same routine but adds isolation exercises. Still debating. Will try it tomorrow and see how it goes. It will be more time consuming but I do not mind. For someone who can't stay a few hours at the gym SL may be more practical.
  • Dukesjourney
    Dukesjourney Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of great advice here. Thank u guys. I'm going to look into this a bit more.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

However, I think I'm going to switch over to ICF Novice 5x5. It is basically the same routine but adds isolation exercises. Still debating. Will try it tomorrow and see how it goes. It will be more time consuming but I do not mind. For someone who can't stay a few hours at the gym SL may be more practical.

in April I switched from SL to ICF. It is much more time consuming so i dropped to 3x5 sets. I am getting great results with the added accessory work (more muscle definition) so i'm trying to stick with it.

To answer OP's question, you will not get "bulky". I am about the same weight as when i started SL in November (i was already at maintenance) but my measurements went down slightly and I am looking much leaner. My clothes fit better and I am waaay happier with the way my body looks now then before i started heavy lifting.
  • Sreneesa
    Options

in April I switched from SL to ICF. It is much more time consuming so i dropped to 3x5 sets. I am getting great results with the added accessory work (more muscle definition) so i'm trying to stick with it.

To answer OP's question, you will not get "bulky". I am about the same weight as when i started SL in November (i was already at maintenance) but my measurements went down slightly and I am looking much leaner. My clothes fit better and I am waaay happier with the way my body looks now then before i started heavy lifting.

Yes, I'm going to do ICF Novice 5x5 and do 3x5. I'm looking forward to it as I would do SL and always left wanting to do more. I think this routine would fit my needs perfectly. :smile:
  • marvybells
    Options

Yes, I'm going to do ICF Novice 5x5 and do 3x5. I'm looking forward to it as I would do SL and always left wanting to do more. I think this routine would fit my needs perfectly. :smile:

As long as you have the time it is a great program. i hope you like it :)
  • Sreneesa
    Options

Thank you, me too. Been studying the videos. I think its doable. :)

I'm usually at the gym for a 90mins anyway as I do cardio for 30 mins and stretch after StrongLifts. I like being in the gym. lol... This just gives me a reason to stay a little longer. lol :wink:

I'm hoping its not too taxing on my body as I still want to fit in some running on the treadmill and bike after routine. I still do cardio on non-lifting days, like running on treadmill for 25mins and then 25mins on stairmaster. I guess I will see how it goes.

:happy:
  • marvybells
    Options

I'm usually at the gym for a 90mins anyway as I do cardio for 30 mins and stretch after StrongLifts. I like being in the gym. lol... This just gives me a reason to stay a little longer. lol :wink:

I'm hoping its not too taxing on my body as I still want to fit in some running on the treadmill and bike after routine. I still do cardio on non-lifting days, like running on treadmill for 25mins and then 25mins on stairmaster. I guess I will see how it goes.

wow, that is going to be a lot of activity! I hope you can find a good balance between everything. I used to be a runner & i know how hard it can be to give up if you really love it (i have joint problems, crappy ankles and i kept getting wicked bad shin splints. too many injuries all the time so i finally gave it up last year.)

Personally I have cut out the cardio because it is very taxing on my body. and sometimes i need an extra rest day here & there. If i try to do things like run or use my stair stepper on non-lifting days i tend to not feel well rested when it is time to lift again...but i have a very physically active job & often have mini insomnia bouts so those factors may have something to do with my need for more rest in between.

Good luck!
  • Sreneesa
    Options

wow, that is going to be a lot of activity! I hope you can find a good balance between everything. I used to be a runner & i know how hard it can be to give up if you really love it (i have joint problems, crappy ankles and i kept getting wicked bad shin splints. too many injuries all the time so i finally gave it up last year.)

Personally I have cut out the cardio because it is very taxing on my body. and sometimes i need an extra rest day here & there. If i try to do things like run or use my stair stepper on non-lifting days i tend to not feel well rested when it is time to lift again...but i have a very physically active job & often have mini insomnia bouts so those factors may have something to do with my need for more rest in between.

Good luck!

Oh no, I do rest days. lol... Since lifting I just still like to do cardio after(no more than 30 mins, followed by stretching) and the next day because I'm still trying to lose weight. This is going on my third week and I'm seeing Ill be working out five days on and one to two days off. ..maybe yoga or pilates on an off day. I'm still so new to lifting that it scares me that it doesn't burn as much calories and I need to do cardio to feel like I'm burning calories and also so I can continue to eat a certain amount. lol

And I so understand insomnia. Been having that problem for years. I rarely get five hours of uninterrupted sleep. It sucks. It catches up to me after weeks like that though. lol... Been like that for years. I need to be in a sleep study! lol... Guess my body is used to it.

Thank you again and really excited to start ICF Novice 5x5!

Edit: BTW you look amazing! :)
  • marvybells
    Options

Good luck!

Oh no, I do rest days. lol... Since lifting I just still like to do cardio after(no more than 30 mins, followed by stretching) and the next day because I'm still trying to lose weight. This is going on my third week and I'm seeing Ill be working out five days on and one to two days off. ..maybe yoga or pilates on an off day. I'm still so new to lifting that it scares me that it doesn't burn as much calories and I need to do cardio to feel like I'm burning calories and also so I can continue to eat a certain amount. lol

And I so understand insomnia. Been having that problem for years. I rarely get five hours of uninterrupted sleep. It sucks. It catches up to me after weeks like that though. lol... Been like that for years. I need to be in a sleep study! lol... Guess my body is used to it.

Thank you again and really excited to start ICF Novice 5x5!

Edit: BTW you look amazing! :)

Why thank you! That is nice to hear :)

I hear you on the fear of doing less cardio. I have to admit that despite everything i had read in the forums about not needing cardio when lifting, in the back of my mind i was a bit worried about not racking up those "big burns" from cardio anymore. I used to do HIIT & plyometrics and run. it was tough on my joints but for some reason i loved it....but i found that it was taking too much time and too much out of me to try to do it all. and i got very busy with work & school. So i cut out the cardio altogether.....

Well, as it turns out what all the more experienced lifters were saying is true. I went from doing about an hour of cardio almost every day to NO cardio in months, and i''ve been able to eat more yet maintain my weight. (and my joints are feeling much better now without all the pounding from the high impact stuff i was doing.)

My plan is to start doing some low impact cardio (walking or the stepper) because i believe it is good to have a balance between strength training & cardio for optimum health, and also because i used to really enjoy the cardio...but truth be told lately i haven't felt terribly motivated to do it. Maybe tomorrow after i lift...or maybe not....we'll see...

the sleep issues i have been battling my whole life. it sucks. I just try to grab a nap whenever i can. :laugh: