How much Protein do I need to lose body fat?

Options

Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Protein isn't for fat loss. It's for maintaining muscle mass, and helping repair muscles. To lose body fat, you need to cut carbs and only intake healthy fats, ie fish, olive oil, avocado, peanut butter(fresh ground, not the stuff from jars that's loaded with sugar and preservatives).

I can see why you'd assume you need X amount of protein. But you really just increase the protein to make up for the lack of carbs in your system.

You are correct that Protien isn't for fat loss it's for repair...but to lose fat you don't need to cut carbs...you need to eat in a deficit and do some sort of resistence training.

INcreased protien helps keep you fuller longer and again helps repair muscles...most people don't get in enough protien.

You should have stopped after "eat in a deficit"

Absolutely NO training is required to lose fat. Zero. Why do you feel the need to lie to people? I don't get it. Yes working out is a wonderful idea but to say you NEED to to burn fat is just a flat out lie.

yup you are correct...to lose mostly fat and retain muscle you need to eat in a deficit and get in enough protien...guess I forgot a word...

As well please read the ToS attacks on individuals are prohibited in the forms
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

So please in the future if I happen to miss a word but the basics of what I am saying are true DO NOT accuse me of being a liar.

I did not call you a liar. I said you lied. Please read things twice before responding. If you lie (you did) and someone says you lied, that's not an attack, that's called telling the truth. So posting some TOS quote isn't going to scare me.

Internet tough guy is tough.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Protein isn't for fat loss. It's for maintaining muscle mass, and helping repair muscles. To lose body fat, you need to cut carbs and only intake healthy fats, ie fish, olive oil, avocado, peanut butter(fresh ground, not the stuff from jars that's loaded with sugar and preservatives).

I can see why you'd assume you need X amount of protein. But you really just increase the protein to make up for the lack of carbs in your system.

You are correct that Protien isn't for fat loss it's for repair...but to lose fat you don't need to cut carbs...you need to eat in a deficit and do some sort of resistence training.

INcreased protien helps keep you fuller longer and again helps repair muscles...most people don't get in enough protien.

Absolutely NO training is required to lose fat. Zero. Why do you feel the need to lie to people? I don't get it. Yes working out is a wonderful idea but to say you NEED to to burn fat is just a flat out lie.

The point she was trying to make was clear, she clearly just missed a word or two while typing. There's no need to say she's a liar.
  • JasonKnight85
    JasonKnight85 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

No. This is misinformation. To lose fat you need to eat at a deficit. Period. To maintain as much muscle as possible, you need to eat enough protein and utilize them through heavy weight bearing exercises in order to maintain as much as possible.

^ This, in my experience. I eat plenty of carbs (haven't cut them), healthy fats, and a reasonable amount of protein... and I'm still losing weight just fine. The difference? Caloric deficit. I can also definitely say I'm not losing muscle, even eating a little less protein than recommended and throwing weights around, in fact, if anything I'm gaining. My tape measurements are getting better all the time.
  • Zorinn
    Zorinn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm on a cut right now where I don't eat carbs, and I eat on a caloric deficit. Cutting carbs isn't NECESSARY, but it does help speed up the process. Then again, everyone's body is different. Not everyone will get the same results.

Losing body fat --> lower calories(calculate based on TDEE) and stick to a low cal diet, having a cheat MEAL (read, not day) once every week to two weeks to help boost the metabolism so it burns more fat.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm on a cut right now where I don't eat carbs, and I eat on a caloric deficit. Cutting carbs isn't NECESSARY, but it does help speed up the process. Then again, everyone's body is different. Not everyone will get the same results.

Losing body fat --> lower calories(calculate based on TDEE) and stick to a low cal diet, having a cheat MEAL (read, not day) once every week to two weeks to help boost the metabolism so it burns more fat.

Cutting carbs will not speed fat loss. It might speed overall initial weight loss through water loss but that's temporary and potentially misleading.

Cheat meals will not speed up your metabolism. There's nothing wrong with them but they do not present a metabic advantage over consistent caloric deficit intakes.
  • Zorinn
    Options

Cutting carbs will not speed fat loss. It might speed overall initial weight loss through water loss but that's temporary and potentially misleading.

Cheat meals will not speed up your metabolism. There's nothing wrong with them but they do not present a metabic advantage over consistent caloric deficit intakes.

When you eat at a caloric deficit for an increased period of time, the body adjusts to it. Having a small cheat meal (nothing crazy like a box of donuts obviously) helps "shock" the body back into burning more, which speeds up weight loss.

On the topic of carbs, yes cutting back carbs helps fat loss, and weight loss in general. This isn't to say that you need to cut out healthy carbs like brown rice or sweet potatoes. However, dropping the bread, pasta and any other form of blood glucose spiking foods *WILL* help shed the weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

You eat absolutely no carbs? How does that help weight loss?

The formula for losing weight is to eat less calories than you burn. It's not necessary to cut anything out, though it might be some people's preference to do so.

A low calorie diet with a cheat meal every week or two boosting the metabolism is misinformation, though eating in this manner might also be some people's preference.

The OP is already at a normal weight.It sounds like he wants to retain muscle mass.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

When you eat at a caloric deficit for an increased period of time, the body adjusts to it. Having a small cheat meal (nothing crazy like a box of donuts obviously) helps "shock" the body back into burning more, which speeds up weight loss.

On the topic of carbs, yes cutting back carbs helps fat loss, and weight loss in general. This isn't to say that you need to cut out healthy carbs like brown rice or sweet potatoes. However, dropping the bread, pasta and any other form of blood glucose spiking foods *WILL* help shed the weight.
    I'm curious as to where you get this information from. There is no reason to "shock" the body into anything. The only thing that speeds up weight loss is to lower your calories, but this is not always a good idea. There is no reason to cut anything out of your diet. Just eat less than you burn and you will lose weight.
  • Zorinn
    Options

You eat absolutely no carbs? How does that help weight loss?

The formula for losing weight is to eat less calories than you burn. It's not necessary to cut anything out, though it might be some people's preference to do so.

A low calorie diet with a cheat meal every week or two boosting the metabolism is misinformation, though eating in this manner might also be some people's preference.

The OP is already at a normal weight.It sounds like he wants to retain muscle mass.

I get carbs from things like green veggies and peanut butter. That's about it. Initially, it helped me drop 60 pounds. When I started lifting heavy, the weight loss stalled. I started a body fat % cut about 3 weeks ago and dropped about 9 pounds since then just by eating at the deficit and lowering my fat intake.
  • Zorinn
    Options

I'm curious as to where you get this information from. There is no reason to "shock" the body into anything. The only thing that speeds up weight loss is to lower your calories, but this is not always a good idea. There is no reason to cut anything out of your diet. Just eat less than you burn and you will lose weight.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html

Read down to the part about re-feeds.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, you need to be in deficit.

Protein you want to be at 0.8 gr - 1.0 gr / pound of body weight.
    And also lift weights.

This will help preserve your muscle, while in deficit.
  • MityMax96
    Options

I eat a lot of carbs, and I am fairly lean
  • Zorinn
    Options

You look like you have absolutely no body fat to lose. :p I don't think you need to worry about fat loss when you already look cut up as ****
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Same here...though not quite as lean as you are. :smile:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html

Read down to the part about re-feeds.

Cheat meal =/= structured refeed. Additionally the benefit and need of the refeed is quite context dependent. Leanness being one important variable.
  • MityMax96
    Options

Can I ask what your point is about the re-feeds?
  • MityMax96
    Options

You look like you have absolutely no body fat to lose. :p I don't think you need to worry about fat loss when you already look cut up as ****

But back in August, I was not this cut.....
    And in fact, I have added more carbs into my diet since August.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

yup you are correct...to lose mostly fat and retain muscle you need to eat in a deficit and get in enough protien...guess I forgot a word...

As well please read the ToS attacks on individuals are prohibited in the forms
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

So please in the future if I happen to miss a word but the basics of what I am saying are true DO NOT accuse me of being a liar.

I did not call you a liar. I said you lied. Please read things twice before responding. If you lie (you did) and someone says you lied, that's not an attack, that's called telling the truth. So posting some TOS quote isn't going to scare me.

Making a mistake and lying are not the same thing.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Apparently, it's metabolism voodoo.
  • MityMax96
    Options

Apparently, it's metabolism voodoo.

:smile:

Well there is a reason for a re-feed.
    But I am wondering if she knows why she should.....that is all.
    If she understands the point behind a refeed and what you are trying to accomplish.