How much Protein do I need to lose body fat?

Options
13»

Replies

• Zorinn
    Zorinn Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Can I ask what your point is about the re-feeds?

Apparently, it's metabolism voodoo.

:smile:

Well there is a reason for a re-feed.
    But I am wondering if she knows why she should.....that is all.
    If she understands the point behind a refeed and what you are trying to accomplish.

I could paraphrase buuuut since this is the article I read when I was initially looking into cutting..

>One should also incorporate re-feeds into their diet plan. Re-feeds help boost a hormone called leptin, which is the mother of all fat burning hormones. As one diets, leptin levels drop in an attempt by the body to spare body fat. Periodic, proper re-feeding can raise leptin levels and help one continue to burn fat an optimum rate. A person who is lean will need to re-feed more frequently than someone who has a higher body fat percentage. For those who are below 10%, it is probably a wise idea to incorporate re-feeds two times per week.

>For those people who are in the 10-15% range, re-feeding every 6-12 days will probably be adequate, for those who are above 15%, re-feeding will probably not need to be done more than once every week to two weeks. Obviously as one loses body fat they will need to re-feed more often.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    And do you know what leptin is and does?
    And do you know that the best way to get leptin going again is with carbs??

For people who are overweight/fat/obese, their body is pretty much saturated with leptin.
    But the body stops responding to the cues to oxidize fat.

So you cut calories, lose weight....the body begins to respond to the leptin cues.

As you got smaller, leaner, and less body fat......there is less leptin in the system...
    Reason being is the body realizes there is a shortage of calories/energy. So it cuts back on leptin.

So you do a re-feed, primarily carbs, not fat......which gets the body kicking up the output of leptin in your system.

And that is what a refeed is for.....
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    To lose fat? Eat a calorie deficit. The amount of protein wont matter in terms of fat loss.
    Yes it will because if I don't eat enough protein I'll lose muscle mass instead of body fat..

No. if you don't strength train, you will lose muscle. You need to lift AND eat protein, or else you will still lose muscle mass.

I lift but don't eat enough protein.am idoing the work for nothing?
  • MityMax96
    Options
    To lose fat? Eat a calorie deficit. The amount of protein wont matter in terms of fat loss.
    Yes it will because if I don't eat enough protein I'll lose muscle mass instead of body fat..

No. if you don't strength train, you will lose muscle. You need to lift AND eat protein, or else you will still lose muscle mass.

I lift but don't eat enough protein.am idoing the work for nothing?

Quite possibly.

You aren't doing yourself any favors, that is for sure.
  • Zorinn
    Options

For people who are overweight/fat/obese, their body is pretty much saturated with leptin.

So you cut calories, lose weight....the body begins to respond to the leptin cues.

As you got smaller, leaner, and less body fat......there is less leptin in the system...
    Reason being is the body realizes there is a shortage of calories/energy. So it cuts back on leptin.

So you do a re-feed, primarily carbs, not fat......which gets the body kicking up the output of leptin in your system.

I know all this! :p I've been cutting calories, losing weight, and once every two weeks, I will have a refeed day with most of my calories coming from carbs, some protein, and as little fat as possible, without going over maintenance calories on the refeed day. I've also been doing heavy strength training on top of all that, so it's been helping shed off any extra weight.
  • MityMax96
    Options

I know all this! :p I've been cutting calories, losing weight, and once every two weeks, I will have a refeed day with most of my calories coming from carbs, some protein, and as little fat as possible, without going over maintenance calories on the refeed day. I've also been doing heavy strength training on top of all that, so it's been helping shed off any extra weight.

Roger that.

Good Luck then, sounds like u got it down. :smile:

For a one day re-feed, you can go over maintenance. :wink:
  • Zorinn
    Options

Roger that.

Good Luck then, sounds like u got it down. :smile:

For a one day re-feed, you can go over maintenance. :wink:

I definitely don't use up the whole day when I do a re-feed! Haha. I usually eat WAY below maintenance throughout the 2 weeks, so going above it is nearly impossible even on a re-feed day. Thank you though! And lemme just say, what ever you are doing is clearly paying off! That physique is incredible.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Thank you,
    You are very kind. :blushing:

I try
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Can anyone point me to research to support the 1g of protein per pound idea? I see this advice tossed around a lot but it feels like some bro science that has gone out of hand.

Some preliminary googling appears to indicate that this is a myth.

For example, these guys review the research and settle on 0.82g/lb beyond which there is no benefit:

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Can anyone point me to research to support the 1g of protein per pound idea? I see this advice tossed around a lot but it feels like some bro science that has gone out of hand.

Some preliminary googling appears to indicate that this is a myth.

For example, these guys review the research and settle on 0.82g/lb beyond which there is no benefit:

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Meet Eric Helms:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24092765/

EDIT: Although Menno does nice work and that link above that you posted is good stuff. Eric's research was done after Menno wrote the piece you linked.

Also consider that typical recommendations "on dem internets" seem to range between 1g/lb LBM (which for most people is a good approximate to the .82g/lb number per your link) and 1g/lb bodyweight.
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was going to say that 0.82g per bound of body weight isn't too far off from 1g per pound of lean mass.

In the comments, Henselmans shares his thoughts on Helms research. He seems to agree with the general thrust but disagrees with the upper end figure Helms lands on based on the comprehensivness of the review.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/#comment-1080819613

Anyways, this looks like a case where bro science actually works out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was going to say that 0.82g per bound of body weight isn't too far off from 1g per pound of lean mass.

In the comments, Henselmans shares his thoughts on Helms research. He seems to agree with the general thrust but disagrees with the upper end figure Helms lands on based on the comprehensivness of the review.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/#comment-1080819613

Anyways, this looks like a case where bro science actually works out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks, I had no idea he commented on Eric's paper. I'll check that out.

Good facebook debate that occurred about two years ago, here:
    https://www.facebook.com/nobull****bodybuildingverified/posts/549313921749876

^ Menno, Aragon, Helms in that post.