220 lbs - burning 650 cal in 40 min on an elliptical?

Options
Dang... 650 calories for 40 minutes seems ridiculously high but both my machine and MFP say the same thing, within 10 calories.

Seriously?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Dang... 650 calories for 40 minutes seems ridiculously high but both my machine and MFP say the same thing, within 10 calories.

Seriously?
    Maybe MFP and the machine are friends. :bigsmile:

Seriously, you are right, that does seem high, even for a person who weighs 22 pounds, so I'd cut off about a hundred or more.
  • OmegaAlpha007
    OmegaAlpha007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Can you go a bit more into detail?

I personally train at about level 5 resistance. I do 20 seconds (15speed) as hard as I can then slow down for 1 minute (5-6 speed) .. repeat the cycle for 10 sets
    (5min pre/post) to warm up/cool down

After about 30min I'm at 400 cals, I'm 5'11 currently at 225lbs
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    These over-estimations is why most people suggest eating back a portion of calories burned rather than all of them.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Can you go a bit more into detail?

I personally train at about level 5 resistance. I do 20 seconds (15speed) as hard as I can then slow down for 1 minute (5-6 speed) .. repeat the cycle for 10 sets
    (5min pre/post) to warm up/cool down

After about 30min I'm at 400 cals, I'm 5'11 currently at 225lbs

I vary my routine a bit, but what I usually do it set the intensity at 6 or 7 and just go at a hard pace as consistently as possible for 30-40 minutes. When I finish I'm sweaty and a bit winded but not dizzy.

I've also done the preprogrammed "weight loss" setting which is 30 minutes of interval and I usually burn about 525 calories on that according to the machine .
  • PrincessTinyheart
    Options
    At what point do you stop questioning the amount reported and just accept it? I mean if you check, say, two other websites and they calculate a similar amount are you supposed to accept it at that point?

According to MFP and two other fitness sites I burned 1170 calories ice skating for 100 min but this seems too high too
  • louisianagirl1612
    louisianagirl1612 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical in my gym. I set it on fat burn mode and it changes the resistance for me based on my heart rate. I usually end up burning around 190-200 calories for 30 minutes. 650 seems like an over estimation to me.

Wt: 117
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and find the machine always is a much higher number than my HRM. Usually 20-30% more.
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    HRM is the way to go, I know what the machine and MFP say is usually above what my HRM reports for the bikes and elliptical trainers at the gym, usually by around 70-100cal
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm at about your weight (currently 225) and the machines at my gym say the same. Sometimes even a little higher. I've had it go as high as 875 for 60 minutes. Of course, I don't believe a second of it.

Since I don't eat back my exercise calories anyway, it doesn't matter to me, but that is a definite overestimation. I'd get an HRM to be sure.
  • OmegaAlpha007
    OmegaAlpha007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You could always buy yourself a HRM, in my case i always take away like 100 calories from whatever the eliptical says

I personally don't eat back my calories but that's just personal preference. I plan my days ahead of time so my meals already have those calories added into them..
  • PrincessTinyheart
    Options
    I'm at about your weight (currently 225) and the machines at my gym say the same. Sometimes even a little higher. I've had it go as high as 875 for 60 minutes. Of course, I don't believe a second of it.

Since I don't eat back my exercise calories anyway, it doesn't matter to me, but that is a definite overestimation. I'd get an HRM to be sure.

Well dang. disappointment really is the gift that keeps on giving.

How are we supposed to accurately record what we burn if everything is estimating high? I guess I'll just not eat back my calories...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and find the machine always is a much higher number than my HRM. Usually 20-30% more.
    This is why I bought a heart rate monitor, and because there was such a discrepancy between my Iphone pedometer and MFP and the treadmill at the gym. It turns out the pedometer was under and MFP/gym machines were WAY inflated. In fact, after my run today, the treadmill read almost 200 calories more than my heart rate monitor.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM- mine isn't super expensive, but had great amazon reviews. You only have to wear it during your workouts and it will give you a better idea of what you are burning. It would be nice to trust the other places, but we can't :-(
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Just for a comparison. I weight 200 pounds. I set the elliptical on the highest setting for height. I set the resistance at 14 out of 20. After 20 minutes, I move down to 12. In 40 minutes I burn between 500 and 550 calories. This is with an average heart rate of 140s.

I run 5 miles in 41 minutes. It is usually about 750 calories. My heart rate average will be in the 160s.

I've messed around quit a bit and the polar ft7, the machine reading and My fitness pal. They are usually within 5%.

I'm really running all out for that reading. So take all those factors into consideration. Sometimes I use MapMyrun, it shows the calories quite a bit higher than the other 3 readings so I ignore the MapMyRun readings.

So my guess would be 450 for you, but that's just a guess without knowing your effort, fitness level, etc, just your weight with a guess.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I invested in a HRM with a chest strap. So glad that I did. I find that my machine, HRM and MFP all have a different answer. Usually over estimated. I trust and love my HRM and it allows me to be more confident in eating most of my exercise calories back because I know it is more accurate. I have a Polar FT7 that I got on Amazon.com for $100.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and about 214 lbs and MFP estimates that I burn about 430 cal in 30 min on the elliptical.
    I personally eat back all of my exercise calories most days, and am losing at least 2 lbs a week currently.
    I would try to eat what they tell you, and then only adjust down if you have to. The more you can eat, the happier you will be, and the less you will damage your metabolism (see: metabolic adaptation). As you lose, you will have to eat less to continue seeing results, so why not start with as many calories as possible?

Good luck!
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm with the HRM crowd, MFP over-estimates my burn, and machines under-estimate it for me. I think i've read you can figure about 100 calories burned per 10 minutes of workout. thats closer to my HRM then any apps or MFP.
  • kedlyo
    kedlyo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT40 Heart Rate monitor, and find it to be far more accurate than any machine or generic estimates. If you get one, you'll enter your info (height, wt, typical activity level, gender) and, for me anyway, gain a little extra motivation as you can switch the watch to display your current calories burned. Sometimes if I know I'll be having dinner out, or I baked a yummy dessert, then I'll stay on the machine a little longer than I would have because I haven't hit my calorie goal yet.
    The accuracy is so nice, but the feature I like even more is that the machines in my gym (and most gyms) have a "Heart Rate" setting, which will pick up the signals from your HR monitor and automatically adjust the machine settings to make sure you maintain the target HR you choose at the start of your session. For example, on the stairmaster I'll set it to maintain a HR of 152bpm for 30 minutes. In the beginning it goes faster because my HR isn't high yet. Then as my HR climbs, it will slow a bit or speed up depending on what my heart does.
    *Note: Even doing this, you still need to go with what the Polar watch tells you for calories, not the machine! They are usually vastly different.
  • caitology
    caitology Posts: 50
    Options
    I weigh 216 and 25 minutes is estimated at around 225 for me. I use a site that seems more reliable than MFP's estimates but I don't have a HRM.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    Options
    Ok you all convinced me - I just ordered a hrm. I would rather be honest with myself than live in a fantasy world - but dammit I liked believing I was burning 500-600 per session!