Eating before or after exercising?

Options
Hey everyone,

I plan on doing a lot of walking as my main form of exercising (speed walking) for at least an hour a day 5-6 days a week. I am 5'1 and currently 160 lbs. and trying to get back down to 130 lbs. I plan on walking in the morning so would you recommend eating before or after? I plan on eating plain oatmeal most days and alternating with smoothies on others so i don't get bored (any other suggestions are welcome, quick and simple are best). Thanks in advance everyone, I am really trying to stick with this.

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    The important thing for u to lose weight will to be in a caloric deficit.

For what you asked, it is your choice, as long as u understand what I said above.

Myself, I stop eating around 8pm, and don't eat again until 1pm the next day, after my workout.
  • Zorinn
    Zorinn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Generally people recommend fasted cardio, but if you're lifting then it's usually beneficial to get a good meal in 45-90 mins in before a workout, which will usually help in terms of strength.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Whichever you prefer. It will not effect your weight loss goals as long as you are maintaining your calorie deficit.

If you would like to maintain your lean body mass and have the majority of your weight loss come from body fat then you may want to add in some resistance training and make sure you are getting in a good amount of protein everyday.
  • OmegaAlpha007
    OmegaAlpha007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Like most people already mentioned above, if its cardio wise i'd say do it fasted. Also for me since I had trouble hitting my calories back when i started that helped a lot since i was hungry after cardio so I could get a lot more calories in after that.

If its for lifting, I personally have to eat before i do but not toooo close to the workout other wise im not comfy.. i get bloated pretty easily ..

as long as you hit your calories you should be fine either way
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    I find work outs on an empty stomach to be most uncomfortable.
    I feel dizzy, light headed. I make myself eat whole grains + proteins (egg, cottage cheese) before i go to the gym for a work out class, whether cardio or strength training.
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Whatever works best for you. As mentioned already, some studies suggest fasted workouts are best. Others say there are less benefits and even disadvantages for women. In the end, everyones different, so do what feels right. If you're usually hungry after exercise, then eat after your walk. If exercising on an empty stomach leaves you dizzy and irritable, eat before.
    But if you're just walking for weight loss and not for the fun of it, then I would say you're wasting a lot of time. Why walk 1 hour 6 times a week when you could strength train 45mins 3 times a week and get much better results? Don't be afraid to lift heavy, it will give you the best fat loss results, and when you do lose the fat, you'll have built muscle so you won't look all flabby (aka Skinny Fat).
    But again, do whatever makes you happy, that's the most important thing!
  • GlennTipton
    GlennTipton Posts: 19
    Options
    Do it fasted. Wake up. Go for a walk. Have a shower, get ready for work then leave! Skip breakfast. With oatmeal you're only eating carbohydrates which will make your body store fat, anyway. Let your body do what it evolved to do and burn it's own fat stores, repair cell damage, build muscle and recomposition your body. Start your first meal at lunch with lots of fat and protein after 16 hours since your last meal (dinner). Embrace the hunger - it means your body is working!
  • jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes! You should have something to eat before you go. DOn't listen to people who say do it fasted, or, it does'nt matter!

You need fuel before exercise. It doesnt have to be a huge amount, but you will need something. Generally, I will eat a Banana, or maybe have a Fruit Yoghurt, and a Glass of Water before I go to the Gym, or go for a Run. I usually eat about 15-20 mins before I'm due to leave.

Do that, and then once you get back, have your Porridge for your main Breakfast. (Sorry - Porridge = Oatmeal - I'm British;)
  • jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Options

But if you're just walking for weight loss and not for the fun of it, then I would say you're wasting a lot of time. Why walk 1 hour 6 times a week when you could strength train 45mins 3 times a week and get much better results?

Don't listen to this...its Rubbish...

Walking is the BEST way to lose weight, especially in the beginning.

WEight/Strength Training is only effective if you are doing ALOT of Compund Super-sets, and do them for an hour with very little resting.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

But if you're just walking for weight loss and not for the fun of it, then I would say you're wasting a lot of time. Why walk 1 hour 6 times a week when you could strength train 45mins 3 times a week and get much better results?

Don't listen to this...its Rubbish...

Walking is the BEST way to lose weight, especially in the beginning.

WEight/Strength Training is only effective if you are doing ALOT of Compund Super-sets, and do them for an hour with very little resting.

What on earth?

OP... Whether you eat or not before exercise is up to you. Some people need it, there don't. Try both and see what works for you.

Also, what are your goals? Eating in a deficit will give you weight loss, adding some resistance training will help with that goal but also give you a better physique at the end. It all depends what your goals are.
  • GlennTipton
    GlennTipton Posts: 19
    Options
    You need fuel before exercise.

Yes, it's called body fat. Your body burns its fat stores to allow you to hunt, gather and prepare the food you found that day. You eat, replenish your fat stores (or in the case of weight loss, a little less) and the next day you do the same thing again - survive! There was no primitive human that quickly ate a banana before going out to find food.

Forget the porridge or oatmeal. Primitive humans didn't go out and stumble across heat treated, rolled and packaged oats. They found meat, plant matter, roots and nuts.
    WEight/Strength Training is only effective if you are doing ALOT of Compund Super-sets, and do them for an hour with very little resting

Hilarious!
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I saw the words "hunger means it's working!" somewhere on this thread and went oh HELL naw, but it's ultimately up to you.

I feel kind of sick if I eat before a workout, so I usually hit zumba fasted, then come home and bolt down some eggs or chicken or something. That's what works for me. Listen to your body. Be good to your body. And for god's sake, don't force yourself to go hungry, no matter what metabolic nonsense you're trying to achieve. That's not sustainable, you know?
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't your body burn fat more efficiently when your blood sugar is low aka in fasted state? I try to exercise on an empty stomach but I just get way too hungry and it makes my time at the gym very miserable. I probably could get better fat burning if I had enough self-control to exercise while hungry.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record re: the other responsive posts: do what works for you.

I find that if I eat within about 2 hours of intense cardio, I get bad stomach cramps. So, if I work out first thing in the morning, I do it on an empty stomach.

On the other hand, I tried intermittent fasting and not eating until after my lunch-time workouts (on days I don't workout first thing in the morning) - but that didn't work for me either. I found I am not able to do as much/push as hard if I haven't eaten anything all day - so on those days, I try to eat a small high-protein meal around 9:30 (usually about 4 oz of Greek yogurt). I eat fewer calories than I know I will burn (eat about 150 calories, and burn close to 500), but it seems to give me enough to push me through.

Perhaps it's psychological, but whatever - it's what works for me.
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    i lift then do cardio afterwards

i take a carb shake mixed with a protein shake before i work out about 30-45 minutes prior and for me i feel great while lifting, when i don't i find it more difficult to finish the cardio portion of my workout but i finish none the less
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Another one for whatever works for you. When I was doing a relatively easy workout, I ate before. When I switched to a more varied and strenuous workout, I switched to eating after because I was feeling groggy and nauseous. Now that I'm settled in to all changes, though, I'm finding myself a getting a little laggy in the concentration later in the workout. So I'm thinking I'll probably start doing both - having a bit of a light snack before and a regular meal after.
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    Hi OP -

Walking is also my main form of exercise (although I mix in some bw exercises 3x/week). I have a pedometer and typically log somewhere between 15k-20k steps a day, 5-6 days/week.

To lose weight, the only thing that matters is a calorie deficit. Let me repeat that.. to lose weight the ONLY thing that matters is a calorie deficit. Now.. say it with me.. "To lose weight, the only thing that matters is a calorie deficit."

So.. you should do whatever feels best to you.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options

To lose weight, the only thing that matters is a calorie deficit. Let me repeat that.. to lose weight the ONLY thing that matters is a calorie deficit. Now.. say it with me.. "To lose weight, the only thing that matters is a calorie deficit."

So.. you should do whatever feels best to you.

This.