Success with 1200 calories a day?

Options
I try to eat the 1200 calories a day suggested for how much weight I want to lose and all that, but I'm afraid that it won't work. I'm only 20, and had a baby 7 1/2 months ago. I was pretty skinny before so the fact that it's hard to lose baby weight is a huge blow to my self-confidence. I'm not concerned that it might take awhile at only trying to lose a pound a week, I'm just afraid I won't be able to get rid of my baby belly (my husband mentioned after the baby that it had looked like I was carrying twins!). I'm pretty sedentary with a baby to take care of, the most I get in exercise wise is a 1.18 mile walk a day, sometimes twice, and sometimes I just can't get around to getting out. Has anyone else had any luck losing weight pre-baby in such a way?

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i lost my baby weight just eating pretty healthy and not overdoing it.

it kind of wants to come off on it's own as long as you stay relatively active and eat reasonably.

unless you gained extra than you were supposed to? then i don't know if extra efforts are necessary.

I'm still glad you are counting cals though to make sure you consume enough cals to be a good mommy. also if your nursing keep in mind you will need even more cals.
  • meowarina
    meowarina Posts: 2
    Options
    I hope it comes off that easy on its own.

He is at the point where he breastfeeds about 4 times and he's started on foods, but I believe it's 500 extra calories thrown in for breastfeeding which I'm sure I get, I like ice cream too much.

I ended up gaining 35 lbs during pregnancy, from 135 to 170, which was the max I was allowed to gain.

For the most part I try to eat lots of fruit, greens, fish, and try not to consume too many prepackaged things.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I try to eat the 1200 calories a day suggested for how much weight I want to lose and all that, but I'm afraid that it won't work. I'm only 20, and had a baby 7 1/2 months ago. I was pretty skinny before so the fact that it's hard to lose baby weight is a huge blow to my self-confidence. I'm not concerned that it might take awhile at only trying to lose a pound a week, I'm just afraid I won't be able to get rid of my baby belly (my husband mentioned after the baby that it had looked like I was carrying twins!). I'm pretty sedentary with a baby to take care of, the most I get in exercise wise is a 1.18 mile walk a day, sometimes twice, and sometimes I just can't get around to getting out. Has anyone else had any luck losing weight pre-baby in such a way?

It's about the deficits and how much you want to lose. I don't know how tall you are, but 1200 is fairly low (especially if you're still breast-feeding?). I try to NET 1200 a day and I'm barely 5'0. That means I eat anywhere from 1400-1800 calories depending on my exercise for that day because I eat back my exercise calories to make sure I'm getting enough nutrients.

If you don't eat enough, you're likely not going to have the energy to be as great of a mother as you probably are/would like to be.
  • spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    First question, are you breastfeeding? It's important for women who are to be taking in adequate calories to keep their supply up. Besides that, I would really suggest you look into getting some small 8 or 10 pound dumbbells and doing some at home workouts. I gained 70 lbs with my daughter, went from 117 to 187. I also had my daughter at 20 and with such a huge gain to my body I expected to have loose skin and a mommy tummy. Luckily, you're still young and if you lose the weight the RIGHT way, you can avoid all that. I do accredit breastfeeding for tightening up my stomach (contractions and all), but after losing 30/70 lbs, I did have to start dieting and working out. I kept my calories at around 1800/2000 a day, mind you I'm 5'9". It took til 8 months PP, but I did lose it all. I suggest getting baby in a stroller and power walking around the neighborhood daily. Yes, you can diet the weight off, but I promise you it won't look that decent. After having a baby serious changes need to be made to undo the past 9 months. If you want to look good- weights and walks. If you just want to be fat-skinny, sure, limit calories.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I hope it comes off that easy on its own.

He is at the point where he breastfeeds about 4 times and he's started on foods, but I believe it's 500 extra calories thrown in for breastfeeding which I'm sure I get, I like ice cream too much.

I ended up gaining 35 lbs during pregnancy, from 135 to 170, which was the max I was allowed to gain.

For the most part I try to eat lots of fruit, greens, fish, and try not to consume too many prepackaged things.

so 1200 plus 500 = 1700 and that's assuming you're short. If your taller you may need more cals.
  • crissi725
    crissi725 Posts: 82
    Options
    Just make sure you eat at least your BMR to cover the necessities of breathing, living and breastfeeding. 1200 is quite low for a breastfeeding woman. Have you considered free weights as well? If you aren't able to get a lot of cardio in, you could still lift a bit to keep your muscles burning through calories. But again, EAT MORE. If not, your metabolism might slow a bit and make it difficult to lose weight. The 1200 calories you might be seeing here on my fitness pal is your NET CALORIES. So: calories consumed minus calories burned through exercise.

So you know on your home page, where it says "Daily Summary"? And it looks like this:

GOAL: FOOD - EXERCISE = NET

Your goal is to have at least 1200 NET CALORIES. Your food diary should show you how much you need to eat and adjust every time you enter in exercise. So, say you eat 1500 calories by 5pm and you enter 300 calories burned during exercise---the food diary adjusts itself (because it also takes your BMR into consdieration) and tells you a new adjusted eating goal and tells you how many calories you earned from exercising. This way you know how much you need to eat and burn to make your net calories at least 1200.

The best way to explain "net calories" is like this: You have $1300 (calories eaten)and someone (exercise) steals $300. You have $1000 left. That isn't enough for rent, groceries, insurance, car note (breathing and organ function). So you need to work (eat) until you earn another $200 bucks to reach $1200. This is just an example. For me, today I had $1885 (calories eaten) and someone (exercise...I ran errands and cleaned and went for a 2 hr hike) stole $800. that left me with $1085. Totally not enough. So I got to earn (eat) another $115. Now I have a net of $1200 calories. On my way to my weight loss goal!

I hope this helps. Get the nutrition you need, based on your BMR and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and get in what ever exercise you can. And remember that you are burning through 1200 calories every day just being alive with a beating heart, lungs breathing and liver doin' its thang...now imagine how much you are burning with breastfeeding, walking, laughing with your new baby, picking up your new baby, cleaning, cooking, etc. Eat more you rockstar momma! And give yourself some slack. You are doing everything as best as possible. Happy Mother's Day!
  • crissi725
    Options
    . After having a baby serious changes need to be made to undo the past 9 months. If you want to look good- weights and walks. If you just want to be fat-skinny, sure, limit calories.

^^^^ word!
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I know there is a lot of info that women lose weight very quickly breastfeeding but some of us just don't! I couldn't really lose until I stopped breastfeeding at a year. I think the fact that you are walking is great and trying to do a bit extra would be wonderful but maybe just concentrate on eating nutritious food right now ( and enough food!) because all the nutrients the milk needs will be leeched from your body if there are not enough in your diet so eating right is for yourself and your baby. You are so young, I am sure once your baby is bigger and eating more solid food and then eventually weaned you will be able to lose the excess. If your baby is 10 months I am not sure it is still 500 extra cals a day you burn from breastfeeding so you may need to check that out but honestly I think it must be tough living on 1200 cals as a breastfeeding mum to a young baby, that is exhausting in itself! Trust that it will come off and happy first Mother's Day (I've been eating chocolates in bed for breakfast, the things we do for our kids eh? :wink: :laugh: )

ETA Sorry i just saw that your baby is 7½ months so I am guessing most of teh diet is still milk and therefore you are probably burning those 500 or around that. Cute baby and mum!!
  • Home_Alone
    Home_Alone Posts: 8
    Options
    For me it works twice, first time I lost 16 kg with 4 months on 1200 cals per day.
    And now just started on same level and I am losing as well.
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but whats to stop you from tossing your kid in a stroller and walking all over the place? I'm a father of two, and having a 3 year old in toe makes it nearly impossible to jog or walk long distances, I'd kill to be able to push him around for as long as I like.
  • crissi725
    Options
    For me it works twice, first time I lost 16 kg with 4 months on 1200 cals per day.

^^^ Don't do what this person did. Lol. it might have worked short term but its not sustainable. Eat more than 1200 calories a day. Be kind to your body. Give it tools to exist.
  • skinnysushicat
    skinnysushicat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    When I started mfp my baby was around the same age. I just accepted what mfp told me - that I should eat 1200 per day. After 2 days I felt downright ill - shake, tearful, hungry and like I had less milk. I moved up to 1700 and felt much, much better, and lost 1 lb per week. I also was limited to walking with the buggy as my exercise. When you have a small baby, life can be pretty busy, and with broken sleep you need to be gentle in your body.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    What is it with this constant 1200 cals yes or no?
    Why do people want to do it?
    :noway:
  • skinnysushicat
    skinnysushicat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I logged onto mfp wanting to lose weight. I entered my stats and it told me to eat 1200 calories a day. I had no idea that the number was very low - I had never paid any attention to calories before. In my case, I was just trusting the website to tell me what I needed to eat - it was only when I found it so awful I looked into it and found it was way way too low for a breastfeeding mum with a 6 month old!
  • afortunatedragon
    Options

Same level? So you gained everything back?
    Sounds like it did not work, or?
  • crissi725
    Options

I think people who want to lose weight are desperate for the answer. For the key to weight loss. And they keep seeing 1200 calories and somehow it became the amount that you're supposed STAY under. But its actually the amount of NET CALORIES that you SHOULDN'T go under. I think because it the general, good, round estimate for nutrition for basic body function (like if you're in a coma)---somehow it got twisted around in people's heads. Just a rookie mistake.
  • afortunatedragon
    Options
    Plus there are ads on MFP "1200 cal days recipe" ....

Not helpful.
  • Home_Alone
    Home_Alone Posts: 8
    Options

Same level? So you gained everything back?
    Sounds like it did not work, or?

No no........

I lost 16 kg. after about 2 years I gained back 6 kg, and that was because I returned to my bad habit.

( I consider 2 years for gain back is very good Stability ).

I am not telling that this is the perfect way to lose, but I think what works for me ( may and may not ) work for other, so, just let everyone try at first place what MFP system told, if it don't work, the one may increase calories intake.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Very often people set MFP to lose 2lb a week despite not needing to and it will spit out 1200 calories. It does it for me and I do have a lot to lose but there's no way I could live off that!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Very often people set MFP to lose 2lb a week despite not needing to and it will spit out 1200 calories.

Right. If you ask someone who wants to lose weight what they want to lose, of course lots of people who only are looking for a 10-20 lb loss will still say 2 lb, and with a woman of 150 or less who is sedentary or often even lightly active, MFP gives them 1200, just based on math.

I'm lightly active and still obese, and MFP gives me 1200 for a 1.5 loss. People assume MFP is right.

However, 1200 is way too low if you are breast feeding and only 20 (which means you have a good metabolism). And 30 lbs of baby weight doesn't require a 1000 deficit. I'd call it moderately active just bc of the breast feeding and change to .5/week (maybe 1lb) and see what you get. Chances are you'll lose faster without going down so low given everything else, which the MFP computer does not know.