Omelette under 300 calories

Options
AnnaChanges
AnnaChanges Posts: 109 Member
Hey guys please can anyone suggest for me a tasty omelette recipe that is under 300 calories. No spinach though.

Thank you :)

Replies

• amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    You can keep even a full size 3 egg omelet under 300 calories if you skip the cheese and meat.

The authentic omelet is actually nothing but eggs and possibly some herbs.

I usually do a two egg omelet...but I grab some fresh basil and thyme from outside and mix in, and a very small sprinkling of sharp cheddar and bell pepper. I usually come right to 300 calories. Oh...and smoked paprika. Gotta have that.

If you want to get even more basic, use egg whites only. An egg white is 17 calories or so...so that leaves more room for meat and cheese if thats your desire. Also...salsa is low in calories, and goes excellent on eggs.

As for method, this is pretty close to correct:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHHsrFrr38w
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    a whole egg is like, 100 calories... you can put in a serving of egg whites for another 25 calories. then it's all about what you add to it. a slice of cheese is 90 calories; some chopped up peppers or tomatoes or whatever veggies you like aren't going to have tons of calories.

just weigh and measure what you put in your omelette, and you can make your favorite meal without worrying too much about calories.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    The eggs I get are more like 75-85 cals. Seems so wasteful to throw away the yolks when a lot of the good nutrition is there.
  • AnnaChanges
    Options
    You can keep even a full size 3 egg omelet under 300 calories if you skip the cheese and meat.

The authentic omelet is actually nothing but eggs and possibly some herbs.

I usually do a two egg omelet...but I grab some fresh basil and thyme from outside and mix in, and a very small sprinkling of sharp cheddar and bell pepper. I usually come right to 300 calories. Oh...and smoked paprika. Gotta have that.

If you want to get even more basic, use egg whites only. An egg white is 17 calories or so...so that leaves more room for meat and cheese if thats your desire. Also...salsa is low in calories, and goes excellent on eggs.

As for method, this is pretty close to correct:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHHsrFrr38w

Oh thank you that sounds lovely.Thanks for the tips I will try them for lunch. Smoked paprika I would definitely add that.
  • AnnaChanges
    Options
    a whole egg is like, 100 calories... you can put in a serving of egg whites for another 25 calories. then it's all about what you add to it. a slice of cheese is 90 calories; some chopped up peppers or tomatoes or whatever veggies you like aren't going to have tons of calories.

just weigh and measure what you put in your omelette, and you can make your favorite meal without worrying too much about calories.

Thank you :) It is not about the calories as much as the taste. I don't really like eggs so I thought I would try them in an omelette but don't really know what would make it taste good.
  • MoiKarina
    MoiKarina Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My morning omelette consists of 2 medium eggs, onion chopped and cooked in olive oil and cherry tomatoes cut in half, I mix the eggs with Himalayas salt, ground pepper and parsley. When cooked I topped it with chives. My boyfriend enjoys it with ketchup while I stick to it the way it is. I sometimes add a smoked sausage in it as well.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    2 eggs 147 cals, 1/2 cup zucchini 10 cals, 1/2 cup squash(yellow) 10 cals, 1 ounce of just about any cheese approx. 100 cals. TOTAL=267 calories

A little coconut oil or butter to saute the veges and I believe you have what you are seeking.
  • mncdk
    mncdk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) It is not about the calories as much as the taste. I don't really like eggs so I thought I would try them in an omelette but don't really know what would make it taste good.
    If you don't like eggs, you should find another source for your protein and fat. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

if you don't like eggs, why are you looking to make an omelette?? there are other breakfast foods out there that you can make.
  • AnnaChanges
    Options

if you don't like eggs, why are you looking to make an omelette?? there are other breakfast foods out there that you can make.

My doctor recommended it as I have vitamin B-12 deficiency and I don't eat meat. He recommended that I have it twice a week as one of the main sources.
  • tremroy1
    tremroy1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    you van buy egg whites
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    If you don't like eggs,why are you eating them?

eta - oh, B12. There is a lot of B12 in cows milk I think. And fortified corn flakes.

If you're very low in B12, a supplement may be the better way to go.
  • AnnaChanges
    Options
    2 eggs 147 cals, 1/2 cup zucchini 10 cals, 1/2 cup squash(yellow) 10 cals, 1 ounce of just about any cheese approx. 100 cals. TOTAL=267 calories

A little coconut oil or butter to saute the veges and I believe you have what you are seeking.

never imagined zucchini with it but I will give it a try sounds really nice. Thank you :)
  • AnnaChanges
    Options
    If you don't like eggs,why are you eating them?

eta - oh, B12. There is a lot of B12 in cows milk I think. And fortified corn flakes.

If you're very low in B12, a supplement may be the better way to go.

I am already taking supplements but I don't want to take them all my life. I want to try to learn how to get it from natural sources.

Yes i am already having milk and will check about the corn flakes thanks !
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I usually make a 2 - egg omelet with a handful of chopped green and red bell pepper, diced hickory smoked ham, topped off with a slice of Velveeta cheese. Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder, or whatever - and VOILA! 'Tis roughly 260 calories.
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    One egg, two whites, 1/8 cup shredded cheddar cheese, sauteed and seasoned veggies like zucchini, mushrooms, peppers. Around 250 cals or so, depending on veggies and how you prepped them (oil vs. non stick spray vs. roasted).
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    This should be quite easy to do, here are some of good combinations:

Mushrooms + green onion + light cheese (if you're eating cheese)
    Tomatoes + mushrooms + green onion
    Green onion + light cheese
    Mushrooms + spinach (yeah I know, but really, it's good) + tomatoes
    Fresh herbs (basil, thyme, etc)
    Tomatoes + fresh basil
    Mushrooms + tomatoes + onions + green onion or basil

When I was still eating eggs, I used to love just scrambling them plain and eating with brown rice. Very filling meal.

You could just take a B-12 supplement instead if you're not into eggs. I take one regularly.
  • pragmacat
    pragmacat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I really love the following and have some variation of it nearly every morning:

1/2 cup egg whites: 67 calories
    1 sliced Chinese sausage (it's a sweet, dry sausage found at Costco): 180 calories
    1 Tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese: 26 calories
    2 Tablespoons diced onions: 8 calories
    1/2 cup chopped chard: 18 calories
    To taste - Garlic powder: n/a calories
    To taste - Salt : n/a calories
    To taste - Pepper: n/a calories
    Cooked with Pam non-stick spray.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Just put salsa in it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    egg whites, one yolk, basil, tomato, feta.