sorry... really strange fat question

Options
hyg99
hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
This is a bizarre question, I get that fat gets effectively used as energy and then is "passed" out the body via respiration or excreted but my question is my belly fat seems to 'change' so looks different, sometimes it feels quite solid then another day really squishy and so on. Is there a cycle of fat? Does it go squishier for a reason?
I have just over a stone left to lose, so the difference is brilliant from 44lbs ago and things seem to be going back ok so far, but it looks awful when in its squishy phase.

Replies

• Angylisis78
    Angylisis78 Posts: 32
    Options
    Well....there are a few types of fat, but body fat is squishy by nature.

I would gather what you're noticing is not fat, but bloat. Maybe keep track of your sodium intake see if that makes a difference?

Fat is also not "excreted" really. You can burn it and use it for energy, and then the CO2 is excreted through your lungs and the water is excreted in urine and feces. But you have to break up the fat first for that to happen. That happens when your body needs energy and fat is the most readily available source.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    The hard belly appearance is most likely caused by gas :)
  • hyg99
    Options
    Can't seem to open link.. takes me to a index page....

The belly fat just seems wobblier, or squishy as opposed to not. Have a steady loss and it feels like a cycle, not related to gas or totm....
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    fat gets squishy before it is visibly burned off, this is because the fat cells fill with water temporarily because the body tries to maintain weight via homeostasis, this is the same thing that causes weight loss "stalls" and then your weight to suddenly drop 5 lbs overnight, basically if your fat is soft and squishy that's a good sign and it's about to be burned off

you can read about it here,

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • hyg99
    Options
    Thanks nosebag, that makes sense.

Have just searched whooshes which also explains.
  • hyg99
    Options
    Just read link, that's really useful, thank you. My tummy does do the marbling then very quickly after I feel like I've shrunk a bit more.

Thank you