Unsupportive people

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Maybe next time don't tell her her roasted veggies are gross. just dont eat them.

^ This. I've found that telling people that their cooking is gross is rarely a good conversation starter.
    Awwww, haha, you don't say?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    last time she made veggies, there was so much oil on the plate, the US tried to invade it.

lol!

Indeed lol! Gotta remember that one.... :)
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    I have found that a lot of people take their diets as seriously as they take their religion and, much like religion, you're just better off letting them do whatever it is that they do. I can promise you you'll be happier if you take a 'do not engage' stance and they next time someone starts with the 'you would do better with X/you should do Y' talk just smile, nod, and change the subject as quickly as possible.

Perfect advice. Saved me from typing. I'll add politics to that list as well. :flowerforyou:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I don't fall on my sword over every little thing, nor do I let how I eat define me as a person. When in Rome, I eat with the Romans, or I just call in sick and eat at home.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    I don't fall on my sword over every little thing, nor do I let how I eat define me as a person. When in Rome, I eat with the Romans, or I just call in sick and eat at home.

In the long list of reasons we are friends, this answer is going to the top. You are awesome. :flowerforyou:
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    OP has deactivated her account. I thought I'd look at her age, since she might be living at home still, based on the avatar anyway. But poof.
  • AnotherXFitGuy
    AnotherXFitGuy Posts: 58 Member
    Maybe next time don't tell her her roasted veggies are gross. just dont eat them.

This!
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    This. Smile say thank you and push them around your plate.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member

so much this
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Have a bbq, enjoy it and make it fit into your day. Maybe offer to do the vegetables, make them into kebabs, don't use oil. I suggest hallumi cheese, red pepper, mushroom. Use wooden sticks and soak them in water first.

We are having a bbq and cream scone lunch for my nan in laws birthday tomorrow.
    I am going to go for a long walk in the morning, munch down the burgers and sausages, devour the scones with clotted cream and raspberry jam, then go for another long walk in the afternoon.
    The alternative?? offend my NIL by not eating and looking miserable while everyone else does. Since I like her, this is not an option.
    I want to eat over so much!
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Let the results speak and bear with it for the moment.you are doing fine
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    I think your response to your mom about the food being gross was rude. You came across as preachy and no one want the food police to scrutinize their every bite. I never give unsolicited advice to people in my life who need to lose weight.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member

^This.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member

I agree. It sounds to me like you were being the unsupportive one.
    I don't experience this in my life at all, and believe me, I have done a lot of different whacky things that my friends and family probably don't agree over the last couple of years. I don't start a debate when people tell me their opinion I nod politely and don't make the assumption that my way is the only right way.
  • tremroy1
    tremroy1 Posts: 90 Member
    veggies can be bbqd without oil......just not as tasty. dont listen to unsupportive people.....skeptics
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Maybe next time, you could say, "Thanks for including veggies! I have a great sauce I can give you to put on them," and then YOU provide it. And be nice to your Mom. Mine died three weeks ago, and I would give anything for her to be here to drive me crazy.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    I usually know when to stay quiet, I wasn't thinking I guess
    Or a change of tone...like..."you know, I'd love some roasted veggies, but you usually use a lot of oil. Maybe we can try and do that differently this time; I'll help so I can make them in a way that is healthy for everyone."
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    I had a therapist who would tell me this (and some other supportive things). Needless to say I ended up finding another (much better therapist) and ended up keeping my weight off.

Some people are so insecure (even therapists) that they have to criticize someone else's success.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Maybe next time, you could say, "Thanks for including veggies! I have a great sauce I can give you to put on them," and then YOU provide it. And be nice to your Mom. Mine died three weeks ago, and I would give anything for her to be here to drive me crazy.

This! And this: A little perspective and speaking the truth in love goes a long way.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Pat the oily veggies dry with paper towel.

People who insult what I have prepared can make their own damn supper.