how can I eat 1200 calories a day

Options
Hey guys I really need some help I am doing a diet and I have drop 6 pounds already but I'm having a hard time eating 1200 calories a day can somebody give me examples of how or what I should be eating in order to reach my 1200 calorie goal

Replies

• CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My base is 1280 calories. I have been eating back my calories I burn exercising. You can skip the almond butter and choclate that I have listed most days. I'm not sure how to share my diary with you, but will be happy to once we figure out how.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Why are you having problems reaching it? Is it because you are focusing on foods like lots of fruits, veggies and lean meats that are lower calorie? Or are you mentally restricting and not even aware?

I had problems when I FIRST started and it was because of changing my eating completely - from eating out 2 - 3 times a day to eating actual food I prepared that was filling.

Eat some calorie dense foods, nuts (if you aren't allergic), nut butters, avocados, full fat dressings, cook with some olive oil etc. You don't have to eat a lot of those foods to bump your calories up and eventually you will have no issues at all.
  • hila_13
    hila_13 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day is hard. (Yes, I know there are sometimes exceptional people who can't log enough).

For me, in order to keep to 1200 calories it has to be not only about making healthy choies, but also about strategic choices and portion control. I have also found that in order to keep within daily limits, I have to really cut back on calories in the morning if I am likely to be eating anywhere but at my own house that evening (and even still 1200 calories is easy to blow in a dinner out).

I have also found that if I can keep my morning to high protein foods (eggs or cottage cheese) I tend to do better (because I make it to lunch without snacking).

For lunch I try to load up on veggies (sometimes at dinner too). I find that if I eat enough of them I stay full without doing to much damage to my daily tally. I am also big on 'sandwhich insides' ie. egg salad, tuna, chicken but not the bread at lunch time. Again it keeps me full longer and I haven't thrown in an extra 150-200 cal on bread.

Also, it probably isn't good advice but its helped me a lot: when I amreally craving sugar (and sometimes when I'm hungry) I indluge in a diet-soda. It sometimes helps with the sugar craving and the carbonatin fills me up a bit.

Hope this helps!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    eat more than just vegetables and fruit and whatnot...those things are important but fats and proteins are important and essential to proper nutrition. 1200 calories is nothing...you were consuming vastly more than that to get you into a position of needing to lose weight...this really shouldn't be a problem.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I really need some help I am doing a diet and I have drop 6 pounds already but I'm having a hard time eating 1200 calories a day can somebody give me examples of how or what I should be eating in order to reach my 1200 calorie goal

Well, the way you phrased the question can be taken either way (you are having a problem eating enough to reach 1200 calories or you are having a problem with only eating 1200 calories?). Answers already given address either way you intended to phrase, but just wanted to point out why different answers were given.
  • lasondraperrygraham1
    Options
    Why are you having problems reaching it? Is it because you are focusing on foods like lots of fruits, veggies and lean meats that are lower calorie? Or are you mentally restricting and not even aware?

I had problems when I FIRST started and it was because of changing my eating completely - from eating out 2 - 3 times a day to eating actual food I prepared that was filling.

Eat some calorie dense foods, nuts (if you aren't allergic), nut butters, avocados, full fat dressings, cook with some olive oil etc. You don't have to eat a lot of those foods to bump your calories up and eventually you will have no issues at all.

Yes that is my problem I eat a lot of veggies chicken and fish usually I just diet and not worry about the rest this is very new to me
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You would get more useful advice if you were to open your diary for others to see.
  • geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    On this go round I'm able to keep hunger pangs at bay by having 5 small meals. I also walk a lot but have been under-reporting my exercise so I don't get overinflated calorie allowances.
  • lasondraperrygraham1
    Options
    1200 calories a day is hard. (Yes, I know there are sometimes exceptional people who can't log enough).

For me, in order to keep to 1200 calories it has to be not only about making healthy choies, but also about strategic choices and portion control. I have also found that in order to keep within daily limits, I have to really cut back on calories in the morning if I am likely to be eating anywhere but at my own house that evening (and even still 1200 calories is easy to blow in a dinner out).

I have also found that if I can keep my morning to high protein foods (eggs or cottage cheese) I tend to do better (because I make it to lunch without snacking).

For lunch I try to load up on veggies (sometimes at dinner too). I find that if I eat enough of them I stay full without doing to much damage to my daily tally. I am also big on 'sandwhich insides' ie. egg salad, tuna, chicken but not the bread at lunch time. Again it keeps me full longer and I haven't thrown in an extra 150-200 cal on bread.

Also, it probably isn't good advice but its helped me a lot: when I amreally craving sugar (and sometimes when I'm hungry) I indluge in a diet-soda. It sometimes helps with the sugar craving and the carbonatin fills me up a bit.

Hope this helps!

Yes this helped me alot thank you
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It's Easy, you put food in your mouth, chew, swallow, and repeat
    I am not stupid so do not post stupid comments on my page if you feel the need to be a smart *kitten* then go do it somewhere else thank you

You might want to learn to calm down and let thing slide if you intend to survive the internet.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

Yes that is my problem I eat a lot of veggies chicken and fish usually I just diet and not worry about the rest this is very new to me

I get that, I really do. It took me a while to get there but once I figured out that I could still have some of the things I love that were more calorie dense and less filing it was easy. I add nuts and dried cranberries to salads for lunch and it bumps the calories up pretty quick. I am sure you will get there :)
  • fite2be
    fite2be Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there. I have a hard time too. But I tend to do what "hila_olyan" does. And, if I know I have a night out, event, or something I'm afraid will blow my calories out of the water, I eat less before the event, and make sure I exercise as much as I can that day to burn them off. Hope that helps. :smile:
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I can hit 1200 calories by lunch. but focus on nutrient dense foods, not the foods that have the lowest calories
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I can hit 1200 calories by lunch. but focus on nutrient dense foods, not the foods that have the lowest calories

I had nearly 1200 for lunch today!
  • lasondraperrygraham1
    Options
    Hi there. I have a hard time too. But I tend to do what "hila_olyan" does. And, if I know I have a night out, event, or something I'm afraid will blow my calories out of the water, I eat less before the event, and make sure I exercise as much as I can that day to burn them off. Hope that helps. :smile:

thanks that's what I do I all exercise like 3 or 4 times a day
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: You shouldn't. Read this: http://www.reddit.com/r/xxfitness/wiki/faq#wiki_12._what_are_the_basics_of_calorie_counting_and_nutrition.3F for a full overview or my summary below:

Basically, you need to calculate your total daily energy expendeture (TDEE) and add 10-20% to gain weight (for example if you're trying to build muscle or are currently underweight), subtract 10-20% to lose weight (for example if you are currently overweight or trying to lose fat) or eat your TDEE to maintain weight (for example if you're just trying to improve heart health without changing your body composition). Don't eat back calories burnt as TDEE takes account for it anyways.

1200 is most likely way below your basic metabolic rate, or BMR. BMR is the number of calories your body burns daily by just existing. You will burn those even if you're in a coma. Eating below that is a really bad idea for your health.

Here's a calculator to find your TDEE and BMR. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Here is a great recipe

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Asparagus_-baby-artichoke_-pesto-and-goat-cheese-quiche-with-quinoa-crust-357947

When I make quich filling I just use 1 cup egg beaters whipped with 1/4 cup of nonfat Greek yogurt instead of cream and whatever veg and seasoning I want with a few dollops of goat cheese floated in. Cooks faster so you have to watch it. Mine comes out to just under 200 cals for 1/6 th slice.

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Asparagus_-baby-artichoke_-pesto-and-goat-cheese-quiche-with-quinoa-crust-357947

Try to use more slow carbs like quinoa, kidney beans , edamame, rutabega, parsnip and winter gourds for starches. I make my own kale chips now for crunchy snacks. I like the epicurious.com Parmesan kale chip recipe.

1200 really isn't too tough if you eat nutritionally dense food. I try to really stick to food that really works hard for me and tastes great. Love bacon, 2 strips 70-80 cals add in my coffee and skim milk and I go for hours.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    nuts, seeds, peanut butter, pop tarts, ice cream, oil, etc.