Any good lunch ideas? (vegetarian)

Options
KudosH3
KudosH3 Posts: 18 Member
Hey everyone, so I'm pretty new to this site but have been attempting to diet for a long time. The most difficult meal I find to prepare/make is lunch, I always find that there is either not enough or too much. Also, as a student on a student budget I seem to live off pasta for lunch which I should probably change! Really was just wondering what other people ate for lunch??? Thanks.

Replies

• kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My staple is broccoli. It varies, but great ones are: broccoli + dumplings with dipping sauce (delicious, but watch for sodium) and broccoli + kewpie deep-roasted sesame dressing (or 'crack').

Packing a big salad is great, and if you keep the dressing in, it soaks into the lettuce during the day. I try to just put whatever on top of the lettuce, treating it like rice. Lettuce too is a great companion to the crack dressing, although I suppose 'straight from bottle' and 'spoon' are also acceptable. Anyway, lettuce + thing works too.

In summary, my attempts at healthy lunches are just attempts to have something low calorie to replace the pasta/rice/potatoes, putting a small amount of them if desired, and making it all more palatable with delicious things on top.

Also, if cheese is an issue, get some you like and grate it, separating it into portions. A small amount of cheese goes a long way when grated.
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    BeginningAgainMay14 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian (although I don't eat a lot of meat) but this quinoa salad was very cheap and absolutely amazing and would make enough for probably 4 days of lunches or 1 dinner followed by 2 lunches. It also improves the next day, which is a nice bonus. Obviously you'd have to use vegetable broth, but I'd encourage you to try it.

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/saladrecipes/r/Southwestern-Quinoa-Salad.htm

Last week for lunch I ate on various days:

1. baby carrots and red pepper slices with half a container of hummus; apple
    2. two hard boiled eggs; baby carrots with ff ranch dressing; grapes
    3. celery and natural peanut butter; banana, strawberries
    4. cottage cheese with diced red bell pepper and green onions, baby carrots, 1/4 cup pecan halves, 1/2 an apple

I try to keep my lunches centered around fruits and veggies but get some protein in there and enough fat that I'm not starving before dinnertime.

Edit: here's the recipe from the above link. Also, fyi, there was some kind of problem with the lime crop this year, and all the limes in my area at least were the saddest puniest little things, so I had to use 3 instead of 2 to get enough juice for the dressing.

1 cup uncooked quinoa
    2 cups fat-free, low-sodium gluten-free chicken broth
    1 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn
    1 15 ounce can low-sodium black beans
    1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
    1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
    1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Juice of 1 large lime or 2 small ones (about 1/4 cup)
    1 tbsp plus 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 tsp cumin

Preparation:

Rinse quinoa thoroughly to rid it of its bitter coating.

Place in a 2 quart saucepan with the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy. Allow to cool.

Place cooled cooked quinoa in a salad bowl with the corn, black beans, tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno pepper and cilantro.

Whisk lime juice, oil, and cumin in a small bowl. Drizzle over quinoa salad, then toss.

Per Serving: Calories 181, Calories from Fat 34, Total Fat 3.8g (sat 0.4g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 94mg, Carbohydrate 29.8g, Fiber 4.4g, Protein 7g
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of home made soups, which are easy to do vegetarian. Also chili, I use TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) instead of meat, and you really can't tell the difference. I also often make bean enchiladas. All of these things freeze very well.

I'm not a vegetarian, I guess flexitarian?
  • RowanJ13
    RowanJ13 Posts: 26
    Options
    Lunches have recently become and issue for me as well since I just went back to work after mat. leave and for the life of me, I can't seem to remember what I used to pack!

Here's what I've been doing:

Salad (spinach, strawberries, shredded cheese, cucumber, egg, dressing of choice)
    Sandwiches (boiled egg, cucumber and hummus, or Tofurkey sandwich slices with cheese, deli mustard, and spinach)
    Three bean salad
    Snacks: Snow peas and dip, granola bars, apple and peanut butter.

Tonight I think I'm going to cook some quinoa to use for a couple days.
  • stearnsas
    stearnsas Posts: 4
    Options
    I've been taking some garlic hummus and vegetables (especially celery, carrots or cucumbers) and apple and some peanut butter to work lately. Sometimes I'll throw in some rice cakes..I've been really enjoying the wild blueberry ones. I also make sure I have some ice water with it as well.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    For lunch I usually have Greek yogurt, protein bar, clementines, cheese stick, avocado. I basically eat a quick and easy lunch because I'm working, so I pair things together and kinda make a meal out of it.
  • KudosH3
    Options
    Thank you so much for the ideas! Definitely looking like veggies and quinoa are favourites - really like the idea of a lunch being made at the beginning of the week to keep for a few days, just makes everything so much easier! I really love eggs so maybe I should start doing something more with them too?!
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    BeginningAgainMay14 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the ideas! Definitely looking like veggies and quinoa are favourites - really like the idea of a lunch being made at the beginning of the week to keep for a few days, just makes everything so much easier! I really love eggs so maybe I should start doing something more with them too?!

If you're an egg lover, I can vouch for this recipe, and it's good warm, cold, or at room temperature. I've never used muenster cheese, I just use cheddar or sometimes swiss or parmesan. You can replace half the cheese with cottage cheese also and save some fat and calories. You can also make in muffin cups as individual quiches. If you'd like more/other vegetables, there are dozens of crustless vegetable quiche recipes online, there's one at Cooking Light that looks pretty good. Or you can just hardboil however many eggs you like on the weekend and then grab and go when you want a fast lunch with some fruit and veg.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crustless-spinach-quiche/

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    5 eggs, beaten
    3 cups shredded Muenster cheese
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan.
    Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft. Stir in spinach and continue cooking until excess moisture has evaporated.
    In a large bowl, combine eggs, cheese, salt and pepper. Add spinach mixture and stir to blend. Scoop into prepared pie pan.
    Bake in preheated oven until eggs have set, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Makes 6 servings at 309 cals/23 grams fat/20 grams protein/1.6 grams fiber.
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I make vegetarian burritos in batches of 10 and freeze them for lunches throughout the week. It takes around 3-4 minutes to heat them up in the microwave. Ingredients are:

1 pack of 10 burrito tortillas
    2 cans of black beans
    1 can of pinto beans
    1 can of vegetarian refried beans
    1 containter of pico de gallo
    1 bag (2 cups) of shredded cheese

Rinse the black beans and pinto beans and mix them together. Spread refried beans on the tortilla, then scoop some black beans and pinto beans on top, then salsa, then cheese. Fold it up, wrap it in foil, repeat until you've gone through all of the tortillas.

Mine come out to 427 calories. If you want them to be lower calorie, omit one of the cans of black beans. You can also reduce the calories by replacing the vegetarian refried beans with a can of pinto beans that have been mashed up a little, but the refried beans taste way better.
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just made a Grilled Porabella Mushroom Greek Wrap:

Grilled Portabella Mushrooms
    Spinach
    Roasted Red Pepper
    Balsamic Vinagrette
    Feta Cheese
    100 Calorie Low carb wrap

Oh my gosh. So good.
  • hiraethed
    hiraethed Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A lot of what I do is already mentioned here, but I thought I'd throw out one of my favorite sandwiches: Light cream cheese with banana slices or strawberry slices (or both!). Super tasty, lighter and healthier alternative to the classic PB + J. Some avoid bread because it can be a bit high calorie, but my supermarket makes a whole wheat country variety thats only 140cals for 2 pretty big slices.
  • KudosH3
    Options
    I just made a Grilled Porabella Mushroom Greek Wrap:

Grilled Portabella Mushrooms
    Spinach
    Roasted Red Pepper
    Balsamic Vinagrette
    Feta Cheese
    100 Calorie Low carb wrap

Oh my gosh. So good.

Going to have this today - quite looking forward to it!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I'm powerfully lazy so I just started making those vaccum packed jar salads. Sometimes I add some quinoa pasta to change it up. You can just google jar salad and it's easy and you can pack in advance for the week.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    When i'm in a hurry i make toast with sliced fruit on eg peach, made it for my sons friend and he loved it too. Or greek yogurt with honey, a banana and chopped almonds.
    How about getting a juicer? perfect for this weather & they taste lovely but I did pay £60 for mine and there's a lot of washing up
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I know Quinoa can be expensive but it really swells up and a small bag makes a lot of meals.

Vegetarian nuggets, 6 meals worth and easy to freeze

The original recipe is from Epicurious under Quinoa sweet potato burgers. I just simplified it because I am way to lazy to baby sit 11 burgers for 8-10 minutes a piece. I would rather let the oven do the work. The recipe serves 5. Each person gets 6 nuggets at 228 calories, 10g of protein, 9g of fiber and 35g of carbs
    INGREDIENTS

1/3 cup quinoa cooked with 1/2 cup water bring to boil then simmer on low until done
    1 medium orange sweet potato (3/4 pound). Shredded, bring to boil with cup of water, simmer 3 minutes and drain

1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or one 15-ounce can, rinsed and thoroughly drained

1 heaping tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger

1 teaspoon minced or crushed garlic

3 scallions (whites plus light greens), cut into 1-inch pieces

3/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste. I used garlic salt

2 teaspoons cumin seeds, lightly toasted

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste

4 tbsp of flax meal

1 cup edamame (steamed fresh or defrosted frozen)

1/4 cup chopped unsalted peanuts, lightly toasted (optional)

Crushed red pepper, I used 1/4 tsp of chipotle chili powder and 1/4 tsp of ancho chili powder

Preheat oven to 375

Put all ingredients in the food processor except the quinoa. Process til just blended then stir in the quinoa. Use tbsp to scoop the mash. Roll into a ball and place on non stick cookie sheet 1 inch apart. I use a Silpat on a cookie sheet. Lightly mash each ball into a disc- like a chicken nugget. Bake for 25-28 minutes. I served mine with a Greek yogurt artichoke aioli.

Kale chips. Use 2 bunches of kale. $1.48 each at my Kroger store.
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Parmesan-Pepper-Curly-Kale-Chips-51142280

Also kidney beans are super high in protein and they are great in soups, salad, wraps, tacos, casseroles. Far more nutrient dense than pasta. Edamame comes shelled and frozen, also good in just about anything.
  • SushiKite
    SushiKite Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hummus
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I make easy sushi rolls!! :D

1 rolling mat
    non-roasted nori sheets
    steamed (or raw) carrot strips
    cucumber strips
    avocado
    thin egg omelet strips, salted and lightly fried with olive oil
    cooked short grain rice (both brown and white), seasoned with rice vinegar and mirin and a bit of salt

Fill nori sheet sparingly with 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of rice, leaving two inches at the end. Fill with vegetables and shrimp and roll!! Eat with pickled ginger.

Other ingredients you can consider: Pickled radishes, marinated shiitake mushrooms, blanched spinach leaves, laughing cow cheese... I'm not completely vegetarian so I do also include pre-cooked frozen shrimp (thaw and then slice em). Yummmmy.

I also like simmered chunky root vegetable soup --> Chop up carrots, sweet potato, taro, bamboo shoots, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, firm/fried tofu and throw them all into a pot. Fill pot up with any kind of broth/seasoning, only slightly covering the vegetables. Bring to boil, cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring every now and then until all vegetables are cooked/soft.

I like baked potato "fries" too --> Heat oven to 450 degrees. Slice potato into 1 inch thick slices. Put on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake about 10-15 minutes until it starts to brown on one side, flip, then bake another 10-15 minutes until it's soft. Eat with your favorite dipping sauce as is (no oil/fats) or you can put some butter/olive oil on it for better nutrient absorption. Potatoes have both protein and carbs. It's great, imo!!
  • tmyers541
    tmyers541 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This sample meal plan from slenderkitchen.com has been one of my favorite vegetarian weeks. Maybe it'll give you some ideas? Here's the pdf: http://www.slenderkitchen.com/pdf/slender-kitchen-vegetarian-meal-plan-sample.pdf
    Here's the website to download the pdf if that link didn't work (at the bottom of the page is the sample meal plan you can use): http://www.slenderkitchen.com/slender-kitchen-members/meal-plans/
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of soup for lunch, favourites are red lentil with carrot, tomato and smoked paprika or spinach/kale with green lentils. I'm also a big fan of falafel saved in a wrap with lettuce, red onion, cucumber, chilli sauce and creme fraiche.

Right now I'm on a bit of a salad kick:

- Quinoa, lettuce, asparagus, rhubarb, strawberries, linseeds, balsamic vinegar
    - Lettuce, satsumas, spring onions, sesame seeds. Dressing: sesame oil, lime juice, ginger, cayenne. Usually a few crackers to go with this one.
    - Lettuce, nectarines, parma ham (sorry, omnivore here, you could exclude it though), mozzarella cheese, cucumber, balsamic vinegar
    - Spinach, apple, crumbled blue cheese, (chicken), raspberries
    - Spinach, walnuts, dried cranberries, feta cheese
  • skimthesurface
    Options
    I just bought Portobello Mushrooms and can't wait to try out this recipe!