T25 or Insanity - Who has had success? Which to start with?

Options
Hi all,

I have a quick question about which exercise program to start with. I am looking at both T25 and Insanity. I know that they are both difficult and require determination to get through them. I am not fit at all at this point. I have been on MFP for a month and have lost about 11 pounds. The only exercise I get is walking which has helped. I need to add something else to my exercise routine other than walking to help lose inches and shed pounds. It is very difficult for me to get to a gym, so I would love some advice about which program you think I should purchase.

Also, I would love to hear your success stories with each of these programs if you have tried them.

Thank you!!!!

Replies

• smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I've done a round of Insanity and currently in week 8 of T25. Insanity is the more difficult program for sure. I have several of the Beachbody programs and Insanity is the one I reach for the least often. It is frustrating at first when you can't keep up. But as you gt better, you do get a very good sense of accomplishment that keeps you going. It's a program I don't mind doing and was happy that I finished, but it's just not one I reach for when looking to do a random workout.

T25 is a better program for the person just starting out IMHO. It has a chickie in it that does the modified low impact moves for everything. The workouts are short (under 30 minutes with cool down stretch) and less intense than Insanity. However, there are no breaks. If you want water or want to catch your breath, you hit pause or miss a few reps. The first five weeks is mostly cardio based while the second five weeks are more focused on weights. I have found the second half of the program to actually be easier.

I would classify Insanity as difficult and would not recommend it to someone "not fit at all". I would call T25 not necessarily "difficult", but "challenging" and better for the person looking to get into shape.
  • sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have a quick question about which exercise program to start with. I am looking at both T25 and Insanity. I know that they are both difficult and require determination to get through them. I am not fit at all at this point. I have been on MFP for a month and have lost about 11 pounds. The only exercise I get is walking which has helped. I need to add something else to my exercise routine other than walking to help lose inches and shed pounds. It is very difficult for me to get to a gym, so I would love some advice about which program you think I should purchase.

Also, I would love to hear your success stories with each of these programs if you have tried them.

Thank you!!!!

My advice would be to start with T25. Simple from your description of your current fitness level. T25 and month 1 of insanity are pretty similar. However, when you jump to month 2 of Insanity it is a tremendous jump and that's where a lot of people fall off track. Insanity also tends to hit people with a lot of nagging injuries who are just starting out. Condition yourself with T25 and then jump to Insanity. With that said. Insanity helped me drop from about 13% body fat to about 8-9%. I lost some upper body strength but that was to be expected because it's very leg heavy. T25 is super fun. I have no doubt if you balance your workouts and eat healthy you will have amazing results.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks smpreston and OP - just what I needed today!
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've done a round of Insanity and currently in week 8 of T25. Insanity is the more difficult program for sure. I have several of the Beachbody programs and Insanity is the one I reach for the least often. It is frustrating at first when you can't keep up. But as you gt better, you do get a very good sense of accomplishment that keeps you going. It's a program I don't mind doing and was happy that I finished, but it's just not one I reach for when looking to do a random workout.

T25 is a better program for the person just starting out IMHO. It has a chickie in it that does the modified low impact moves for everything. The workouts are short (under 30 minutes with cool down stretch) and less intense than Insanity. However, there are no breaks. If you want water or want to catch your breath, you hit pause or miss a few reps. The first five weeks is mostly cardio based while the second five weeks are more focused on weights. I have found the second half of the program to actually be easier.

I would classify Insanity as difficult and would not recommend it to someone "not fit at all". I would call T25 not necessarily "difficult", but "challenging" and better for the person looking to get into shape.

Thanks for the info! Curious also how it T25 differs from something like 30 Day Shred, have you tried that?
  • kristinashelton
    Options
    Hi all,

Thank you!!!!

T25 is definitely better to start with. I own both T25 and insanity, my husband loves insanity but when I tried to do it, I found it too overwhelming for my current fitness level, and I ended up quitting. T25 is marketed for a more intermediate level of fitness, and the workouts are only 25 minutes in length, even though they are still really intense it is easier for most people to stick with because it is only 25 minutes. I started T25 and got a few weeks into it before I had to have surgery, right now I am sidelined not allowed to work out until released from my dr but I intend to go back to T25. You will get good results with either program, but my experience with people I have coached in both programs is that most people stick better with T25 in the beginning.