Pregnant and gaining

Options
CyeRyn
CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
I'm 29 weeks along and so far have gained about 45lbs. I know losing weight while pregnant isn't healthy, however I'm looking for some advice on how to not gain any more but still be eating enough for my baby to be healthy. Are there any good exercises I can be doing to help strengthen my body for delivery that's also safe? I should have started early on in my pregnancy but I put it off thinking I was burning enough at my job but I realize now I'm not. Thanks for any input/advice! I'm starting to feel like a cow.

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    You should probably be discussing this with your doctor.
  • Jenny8511
    Jenny8511 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    ^ Yep. What was your weight like before you got pregnant? If you were a healthy weight, then you are supposed to gain a lot. I can't remember how much, but I know it's quite a bit. Anyone who is pregnant should be making better choices about what they eat to avoid gaining a crazy amount of weight, and obviously eating nothing but fast food isn't good for you or the baby. There are many pregnancy dvds you can do at home. I did yoga and (I think) denise austin, but honestly... pregnancy is going to ruin your body and you will feel like a cow no matter what you do. It's the joy of being pregnant.

Really... just talk to your doctor. They can give the best advice on what you should do.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to talk to your doctor. You may not want to gain any more weight, but at 29 weeks, your baby does. I think at this point you're supposed to put on like a pound every week.

So yea... talk to your doctor. And get active. Go for walks, swimming, etc.
  • ChippyLoo
    ChippyLoo Posts: 23
    Options
    I would eat like you had gestational diabetes,even if you don't because its really all about maintaining the carbs/sugar..
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    speak to your midwife (if you're in the UK) or your OBGYN (most other places)

let them decide a) whether or not you need to stop gaining weight and b) if so how you should do it.

you are pregnant. Your body is the entire life support for a little tiny growing human being who depends on you 100% for nutrition. Don't trust internet people with your baby's future... ask the relevant medical professional.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I second that -- talk to your doc. When I was pregnant my OB told me to eat lots of lean protein and fresh vegetables and fruit. Pretty logical advice. As for exercise, swimming s great bc it's easy on your joints. I did lots of swimming and walking. I definitely don't think you should be restricting calories. I'm sorry to say...if you feel like a cow now you're going to feel like a hippo in another few weeks. :). Embrace it...think about the baby. The good news is the weight will fall off quickly and easily after you deliver...at least that's how it was for me. Good luck and congratulations!
  • ChippyLoo
    ChippyLoo Posts: 23
    Options
    I also forgot to add when I was pregnant I did follow it and it slowed the gaining by A LOT.
    Good luck!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    speak to your midwife (if you're in the UK) or your OBGYN (most other places)

let them decide a) whether or not you need to stop gaining weight and b) if so how you should do it.

you are pregnant. Your body is the entire life support for a little tiny growing human being who depends on you 100% for nutrition. Don't trust internet people with your baby's future... ask the relevant medical professional.
    This. Also, if you're at risk to develop gestational diabetes, it absolutely has to be managed closely, which involves working with a diabetes team. Don't take matters into your own hands.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Midwife, OB, or GP are the best place for this question. =) Congrats on the bun, though ;)
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    My sisters were all obese when they got pregnant, and still put on a lot of weight.
    They were all told to not worry about their weight until the baby was born; and to keep their eating habits and activity levels more-or-less the same, with some minor modifications. The modifications were very specific things like eat more calcium or iron. Such specific advise was the result of their exams and there were specific reasons for it. One did have gestational diabetes, so she was carefully monitored, but she didn't make big dietary changes either.

Ask your doctor if you should be concerned about your weight gain, then about what you should (or should not) do about it.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I've already talked to my Dr and she doesn't seem concerned but I still am. I don't have gestational diabetes I was just tested for that last week. Everything appears to be normal except some fruits that give me extreme stomach pains and nausea that I never experienced before. My diet isn't too terrible, though I do snack a lot but that has to do with working 3rd shift and I feel the need to eat something at each break. I try to keep it healthy like bananas and watermelon. I've been steering clear of vending machines. I started at 130lbs and now at 175lbs. I'm hoping with the warmer weather ill get out more and do more walking. Had a rough, long, cold winter here. If anyone has looked at my profile ignore most of it. I haven't updated anything since I found out I was pregnant probably even before then.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    First, if your doctor is not concerned, then you should not be, either. Second, as you get bigger during your 3rd trimester, you're likely to stop gaining weight or slow down a BUNCH, anyway. Baby starts pushing up against your stomach, making your appetite smaller, and reducing the amount that you'll be able to eat at one time. Now is not the time to worry about your weight. Eat when you're hungry, and try to make healthy food choices (which it sounds like you're already doing). Walk as much as you feel up to, but don't overdo.

I gained 60lbs with my first pregnancy, and lost 50 of it within the first year postpartum. Give yourself a break over what the scale says. You need fuel to build a tiny human! That doesn't mean carte blanche to stuff your face with whatever you want, whenever you want... except that it kind of does.

Congrats on your pregnancy. Worry about the weight after baby is born.