Greek yogurt. Inhibits weight loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Yogurt doesn't have lactose. And "Hollywood nutritionist" is the same as "quack." A real nutrition professional would know that.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    ack! zombie thread that I even replied to when it was fresh... Shame on me.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or do folks down in Hollyweird act like eating is a suicide attempt?

Fruitytard from Hollywierd, "OMG DON'T EAT THAT IT'S POISON!!!"
    Me, "Chill, dude, it's a bowl of ice cream"
    Fruitytard, "OMG it's full of CHEMICALS THAT GIVE YOU.... (fill in blank with some weird aliments list of vague and obtuse symptoms)"
    Me, "You're freaking cracked dude. It's ice cream. People have been eating it forever. If you don't shut up I'm going to break your little stick thin body. BTW, you look like death eating a damn cracker. EAT something for the love of Christ."
    Fruitytard, "I only EAT gnat's knees and bee balls every other day to cleanse my inner Chi."
    Me, *face palm* "I'm glad I moved to Texas. Visiting home is such a chore..."
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or do folks down in Hollyweird act like eating is a suicide attempt?

Well, to be fair...for many of them it is.

Seriously, the most beautiful girls you've ever seen, who are naturally thin and already have figures to die for, will walk into an audition and hear that they're going to play the "fat friend next door" because they're not thin enough.

I'd be surprised if most actresses' BMIs are over 18. They are THIN.

And then we have these stories in the newspaper (or Marie Claire, or whatever) about how it's because they do yoga, or they don't eat dairy, or whatever.

It's not because they don't eat dairy.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Serious?? Youre kidding me right...hahahaha jokes on you. Get my heart rate up as a little chuckle. Serious...serious???

California has no licensure requirements for nutritionists. ANYONE can claim to have extensive knowledge in Cali and say it's little green men making you fat. A little greek yogurt, which by the way the fermentation in yogurt making breaks down lactose, does not stall weight loss. Oy vey. I wonder how much she makes a year?

I vote for the little green man being at fault!!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ack! zombie thread that I even replied to when it was fresh... Shame on me.

Crap.. me too.. DOH
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I eat it nearly every day...28 lbs lst, maintained four months now
  • fns325
    fns325 Posts: 1
    Options
    howdy!

kimberly snyder is actually super popular, and has a lot of great advice.

my HUGE criticism of her, though, is that she totally pushes a completely vegan lifestyle, and has a tendency not to cater her advice towards folks that do eat meat/dairy.

while she's correct in saying that may humans lose the ability to process dairy at a young age (we're basically not meant to have the dairy of other animals after we've stopped breast feeding), it's not true for every single human in the world. plenty of folks still eat dairy and don't have a problem processing it, but there are also lots of folks who hit a weight loss wall and can't figure out why. for me, cutting dairy reduces bloating and allows my body to process foods much much much more efficiently. i'm also a minority, which [genetically] plays a role in your lactose tolerance. i'm not lactose-intolerant, but i am lactose-sensitive, so cutting dairy allows me to not only cut out some calorie-dense foods (which is how it tends to help folks drop weight no matter what their tolerances are), but also allows my digestive system as a whole to function better.

i know yogurt is also meant to help with digestive help, so i think it's mostly a matter of finding out what works for you. there have been plenty of studies that suggest that yogurt eaters lose more weight, especially around the belly area (who WOULDN'T want to lose weight THERE?!), than those that don't eat it. i think the last thing i read said you get the benefits at 18 oz/day, which is A LOT of yogurt to me, but might be worth it if i could stomach it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt inhibits weight loss because cows milk can clog up digestion and our bodies 'can't efficiently digest dairy because we stop creating adequate levels of lactase, the enzyme necessary to break down the sugars in milk, early on'.
    It doesn't even make any sense. Does it just apply to Greek yogurt, any yogurt, or anything dairy? What does inhibit weight loss mean? How can anything that is not digested interfere with our weight?
  • WildCatClimbs
    WildCatClimbs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    She is correct in stating we don't digest dairy very well. Some people handle it better than others though, you would notice bloating, gas, and perhaps constipation if you had issues with it . It also makes some people break out. The issue is for SOME people that non organic dairy typically has a lot of hormones in it from what they pump up the cows with to increase milk production. This can interfere with your own hormone profile, particularly for women. But, if you don't have any issues with it, it is a great protein source! Fermented dairy(Kefir) is also very helpful to your gut bacteria!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt inhibits weight loss because cows milk can clog up digestion and our bodies 'can't efficiently digest dairy because we stop creating adequate levels of lactase, the enzyme necessary to break down the sugars in milk, early on'.
    It doesn't even make any sense. Does it just apply to Greek yogurt, any yogurt, or anything dairy? What does inhibit weight loss mean? How can anything that is not digested interfere with our weight?
    Why, it 'clogs up digestion', of course!

Most of us who are lactose intolerant (and most adults in the world are) don't get 'clogged up' by having lactose. Usually it's the opposite problem.

And most of us do fine with yogurt and hard cheese because during fermentation the bacteria consume most of the lactose.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    or does it help with weight loss? I like Greek yogurt because it helps me meet my macros.