Which Pedometer?

Options
Hey,

Looking to buy a pedometer. I had one on my last phone & i found it made me want to walk more.

I am unsure which to get.

Any advice would be useful!

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I know you want a pedometer, but I would suggest splurging some and going with an HRM. Now granted, I may have not had the best quality pedometer (I dunno, it was $25, seemed pricey for something that didn't work) but I've always found them to be highly inaccurate, they count extra steps if it bounces against your body just right.

Decent heart rate monitors start at around $60 I think, but my Polar F4 was like $80 and I love it. It has a cheststrap for more accurate reading (which you really don't notice is on) and it will tell you your heart rate, calories burned, how long you were in your "zone" etc.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are great I love that they can make it so you push yourself harder. You can without one too but most people I would say don't really have an accurate idea of their RPE(Rated Perceived Exertion) and a heart rate monitor is great for that alone. But, I swore the F4 didn't have the calories burned function, only F6 and above.

As for pedometer. I've heard amazing things about this Omron HJ-303. It is considered highly accurate and picks up steps from all directions. The person that suggested this to me has tried many pedometers and owns some of the best on the market and says this one is the one they prefer above all else.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-303-GoSmart-Tri-Axis-Pedometer/dp/B001IV5ZHS
  • julikarel
    Options
    I've had a LOT of pedometers and my most favorite pedometer is my Omron. It's small and round, very accurate, and keeps your totals for 7 days. I also purchased a watch that has my HRM on it for $60 at Mc Sports. 2 best things for me and I used them both DAILY!!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are great I love that they can make it so you push yourself harder. You can without one too but most people I would say don't really have an accurate idea of their RPE(Rated Perceived Exertion) and a heart rate monitor is great for that alone. But, I swore the F4 didn't have the calories burned function, only F6 and above.

As for pedometer. I've heard amazing things about this Omron HJ-303. It is considered highly accurate and picks up steps from all directions. The person that suggested this to me has tried many pedometers and owns some of the best on the market and says this one is the one they prefer above all else.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-303-GoSmart-Tri-Axis-Pedometer/dp/B001IV5ZHS

Nope, the F4 tells you calories burned, I used mine just this morning.
  • chrisleone
    Options
    I have the" Omron HJ-720ITC Pocket Pedometer with Advanced Omron Health Management Software ". I got it about 3 years ago on amazon for $35. LOVE IT!! It is very accurate. I wear it all day long so I can be sure to get in my 10,000 steps! Very motivating and often I am forced to walk in place while watching my favorite TV shows if I didn't reach my goal by the end of the day!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I have the" Omron HJ-720ITC Pocket Pedometer with Advanced Omron Health Management Software ". I got it about 3 years ago on amazon for $35. LOVE IT!! It is very accurate. I wear it all day long so I can be sure to get in my 10,000 steps! Very motivating and often I am forced to walk in place while watching my favorite TV shows if I didn't reach my goal by the end of the day!

This is me exactly. Same one, got it through Amazon, I do 10000 a day as well, and I often walk or jog in place throughout my day to make the count! It helps keep you moving for sure!