220 lbs - burning 650 cal in 40 min on an elliptical?

Options
2»

Replies

• OmegaAlpha007
    OmegaAlpha007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You'll feel even better once the scale starts moving a bit faster
  • Heathy200
    Heathy200 Posts: 2
    Options
    I wear the H7 Polar hrm when using the elliptical . On good days I can burn 580 calories in 75minutes That's maintaining my heart rate at fitness level ( for me 150-164 bpm ) for 70% of the session. It's exhausting! 110 lbs . 51 year old female.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Ok you all convinced me - I just ordered a hrm. I would rather be honest with myself than live in a fantasy world - but dammit I liked believing I was burning 500-600 per session!

If it makes you feel any better I'm about your weight and can easily burn 500-600 in a 60min zumba session :)

ETA: That's from my HRM but I still knock off around 150 calories just to be safe.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about exercising, get a HRM. I agree with the Polar FT40. That way you can ignore the machine, and get a much more accurate estimate of your burn.
  • Parthus02
    Parthus02 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A chest strap HRM is the most accurate way to go if you're questioning the amount of calories burned. A lot of these estimators do just that--spit out an estimate, and they're usually higher than what you actually burn (at least for me).

For the person that said if you check several websites and they spit out the same estimate, you should just accept it, that is bad advice. A lot of the websites use the same general calculations, so yes, they will spit out the same estimate. But people are different and can have different results doing the same exercise. Calories burned depend on your specific heart rate plus the duration of the exercise.