How many calories should I be eating to lose weight?

Options
To lose 8 pounds in one month, I need to burn 28,000 calories. I will be walking daily burning a minimum of 100 calories per day. I also need to account what I will burn without exercise. So I calculated my BMR:

BMR: 655 + (4.35 × weight) + (4.7 × height) – (4.7 × age)

655 + (4.35 x 138) + (4.7 x 62.75) - (4.7 x 37)

655 + (600.3) + (294.925) - (173.9)

Without exercise, I will burn 41,289.75 in one month + 3,000 calories minimum (100 x 30) through exercise. So I will burn 44,289.75 in one month. How many calories should I eat per day?

BTW: I am a female 37 years old, 5'2.75" in height, 138 pounds in weight.

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    A lot of times, the math will be off. There's many factors for that, you will have to see what works best for you. I will say, however, that 2 lbs a week is too aggressive given your goal. The idea is the less you have to lose, the less aggressive you want to take weight loss, as a more aggressive deficit could lead to muscle loss, as with less fat, the body is more likely to jeopardize muscle instead of taking fat. Muscle is what will help you looking leaner at goal. I would suggest aiming for .5-1 lb loss a week, focus more on measurements and the mirror. Make sure you're getting a good amount of protein (typically 1g per pound of lean body mass) and take it slow. This is a great read too

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I got 1280 for your BMR based on the info you gave. In order to find your TDEE(total calories you burn every day), you have to choose an activity multiplier from the list below to multiply your BMR by to get your TDEE. Once you do that, just subtract 20% from your TDEE and that's a good calorie goal to go by.

1.2 = Sedentary (Desk job, & Little Formal Exercise)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately daily Activity & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Athlete in ENDURANCE training or VERY HARD physical job)
  • mslrwwells13
    Options
    this information is awesome. last year I used this app and lost 43 pounds but ended up gaining it all back. I have not been eating and just gained weight. I have considered gastric bypass, but was told that I am not fat enough. I will use your calculations while considering meals. my ex boyfriend, Leon W. is a personal trainer and has a near perfect body. he has introduced me to Mothers Apple Cider Vinegar, but that has not helped me what so ever. I just dont understand my metabolism...I am frustrated. I am walking 30 minutes twice per week. I am not motivated to go to the gym...to many skinny girls with hardly nothing on distracting me and making me sad I have gotten so fat. my goal is 2 lbs per week to start...wish me luck
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    this information is awesome. last year I used this app and lost 43 pounds but ended up gaining it all back. I have not been eating and just gained weight. I have considered gastric bypass, but was told that I am not fat enough. I will use your calculations while considering meals. my ex boyfriend, Leon W. is a personal trainer and has a near perfect body. he has introduced me to Mothers Apple Cider Vinegar, but that has not helped me what so ever. I just dont understand my metabolism...I am frustrated. I am walking 30 minutes twice per week. I am not motivated to go to the gym...to many skinny girls with hardly nothing on distracting me and making me sad I have gotten so fat. my goal is 2 lbs per week to start...wish me luck

Mothers Apple Cider Vinegar does wonders with me. How much are you consuming daily? Great way to increase your BMR.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Mothers Apple Cider Vinegar does wonders with me. How much are you consuming daily? Great way to increase your BMR.

Oh Deadpool, I shake my head at you. Wut?
  • AJ_G
    Options

I second this. What are you talking about dude...
  • MrTolerable
    Options

yeah unfiltered... not the cheap stuff.. def helps digest food and increase metabolism. There are def other threads on this.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is way off. I am almost twice as old as you and three inches shorter ( under five feet ) and my BMR is twice your's.
    You might want to calculate a correct BMR and from there do the math again.
  • AJ_G
    Options

yeah unfiltered... not the cheap stuff.. def helps digest food and increase metabolism. There are def other threads on this.

Oh well if there are other threads on this then it must be true...lol. Apple cider vinegar, filtered or unfiltered does not increase your metabolic rate. Speed of digestion has absolutely nothing to do with metabolic rate. There is absolutely no science behind that. You have been duped...
  • MrTolerable
    Options

Oh well if there are other threads on this then it must be true...lol. Apple cider vinegar, filtered or unfiltered does not increase your metabolic rate. Speed of digestion has absolutely nothing to do with metabolic rate. There is absolutely no science behind that. You have been duped...

I didn't want to troll her thread discussing this. And its much more than just "speed of digestion". ..it provides your body a major energy boost that when coupled with your exercise after it, you perform better and get better results.. its a significant boost, I'd say almost as equivalent to a b12 shot.

#thinkcriticallyanddosomeresearchbeforeyoucomeatmebrahandIcan'tbelieveyourreadingthislong
    hardtounderstandmessage
    sucka
  • AJ_G
    Options

I didn't want to troll her thread discussing this. And its much more than just "speed of digestion". ..it provides your body a major energy boost that when coupled with your exercise after it, you perform better and get better results.. its a significant boost, I'd say almost as equivalent to a b12 shot.

Do you have any science at all to back that up?
  • LazyBearGrrr
    LazyBearGrrr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious...

MFP has a built in Calculator that will do all the math for you. Why not use that? It will tell you exactly how much to eat in order to lose eight pounds in one month.
  • skinny_baby
    skinny_baby Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am not asking about the Apple Cider Vinegar...please read the original question....!
  • MrTolerable
    Options

*Looks down at abs that would qualify me to model for michelangelo's david*

:smokin:

I could find all the articles I spent hours reading before deciding to add this into my daily diet....OR I could say.. do your own research... perhaps its odd to take it in your part of the world, but just mentioned this to my doctor last friday and she not only said go for it - SHE take it. ..insane amount of health benefits, on top of just helping with fat loss.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is way off. I am almost twice as old as you and three inches shorter ( under five feet ) and my BMR is twice your's.
    You might want to calculate a correct BMR and from there do the math again.

Her calculation comes to 1376.
  • LazyBearGrrr
    LazyBearGrrr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    *edit: it looks like you were talking about the ACV comments. Never mind.

I did. I must have missed something. It seems that everything you ask for would be accounted for in their calculator. *shrug* I was just curious. Perhaps it will just have to remain a mystery to me.
    Please read the original question....!
  • AJ_G
    Options

I could find all the articles I spent hours reading before deciding to add this into my daily diet....OR I could say.. do your own research... perhaps its odd to take it in your part of the world, but just mentioned this to my doctor last friday and she not only said go for it - SHE take it. ..insane amount of health benefits, on top of just helping with fat loss.

Hahaha, so you're one of those. "I'm in good shape now so everything I did helped me". Also, if YOU make a claim like "Apple cider vinegar increases metabolic rate" and your claim is challenged, the burden of proof is on you to prove that claim with evidence. Just that fact that you won't link me to a single scientific study on the affects of apple cider vinegar on metabolic rate shows me that you don't have any. Also, articles mean absolutely nothing if they don't cite a scientific study. Furthermore, doctors are notorious for not knowing what their talking about when it comes to nutrition. Oh and don't flatter yourself, you're very lean but you don't have very much muscle on you...
  • skinny_baby
    skinny_baby Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am not referring to you leosrain.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    I am not referring to you leosrain.

Your original question was already answered. Multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity multiplier from the list I supplied above. Then subtract 20% from that number to give you a calorie goal for weight loss.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

Hahaha, so you're one of those. "I'm in good shape now so everything I did helped me". Also, if YOU make a claim like "Apple cider vinegar increases metabolic rate" and your claim is challenged, the burden of proof is on you to prove that claim with evidence. Just that fact that you won't link me to a single scientific study on the affects of apple cider vinegar on metabolic rate shows me that you don't have any. Also, articles mean absolutely nothing if they don't cite a scientific study. Furthermore, doctors are notorious for not knowing what their talking about when it comes to nutrition. Oh and don't flatter yourself, you're very lean but you don't have very much muscle on you...

one study.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/06/02/apple-cider-vinegar-hype.aspx

"A follow-up study geared at testing vinegar's long-term effects yielded an unexpected but pleasant side effect: moderate weight loss. In this study, participants taking two tablespoons of vinegar prior to two meals per day lost an average of two pounds over the four-week period, and some lost up to four pounds."