How many calories should I be eating to lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Here is another... ya butt.

"For thousands of years, vinegar has been used for weight loss. White vinegar (and perhaps other types) might help people feel full. A study (Ostman, E. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2005) of 12 people found that those who ate a piece of bread along with small amounts of vinegar felt fuller and more satisfied than those who just ate the bread. A 2009 study on mice showed that consuming acetic acid (the active component in ACV), upregulates the expression of genes for fatty acid oxidation enzymes in the liver causing a suppression in body fat accumulation. In a double-blind experiment, obese Japanese were assigned to three different groups based on similar body weights, body mass indexes (BMI), and waist circumference. Each group drank a 500 ml drink containing either 30ml, 15ml, or 0ml of vinegar daily for 12 weeks. Those in the 30ml and 15ml groups had lower BMI, visceral fat area, waist circumference, serum triglyceride, and body weight to the control group of 0ml. The 12-week weight losses were modest: 1.2kg in the 15ml group and 1.7kg in the 30ml group. These two groups consumed a similar number of calories to the control group and also performed a similar amount of exercise, so the effect is not likely to have been due to an impact on appetite or other lifestyle changes. It was concluded that consumption of vinegar might reduce obesity.

Apple cider vinegar is chosen over white vinegar for many processes involving the elimination of fungus. Although they both have highly acidic properties; apple cider also contains detoxifying qualities that will clear up other skin allergies. No side effects have been found when treating the skin with apple cider vinegar, making it a cost effective and safe remedy. "

https://www.worldhealth.net/forum/thread/99224/is-apple-cider-vinegar-that-powerful-of/?page=1
  • LazyBearGrrr
    LazyBearGrrr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think the typical calculation for TDEE is BMR times 1.2 if you're sedentary. This would be 1651.

To lose two pounds a week (eight pounds in one month), you need to eat at a deficit of 1000 calories per day.

This is 651 calories a day. And this is a net calorie amount. Meaning, you'd track your exercise and eat those calories back. I would recommending setting your diary to sedentary and then tracking all calories burned through exercise as the day goes by, this allows you to adjust your eating to daily changes in activities. Even better, wearing a fitbit or similar device helps as it will accurately and automatically adjust your calorie needs to your daily activity level.

However, 651 calories is neither healthy, sustainable, or even tolerable.

But seriously...if you plug your height, weight, age, and weight loss goal into MFP, it will tell you this. Is there something different you were looking for?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

"For thousands of years, vinegar has been used for weight loss. White vinegar (and perhaps other types) might help people feel full. A study (Ostman, E. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2005) of 12 people found that those who ate a piece of bread along with small amounts of vinegar felt fuller and more satisfied than those who just ate the bread. A 2009 study on mice showed that consuming acetic acid (the active component in ACV), upregulates the expression of genes for fatty acid oxidation enzymes in the liver causing a suppression in body fat accumulation. In a double-blind experiment, obese Japanese were assigned to three different groups based on similar body weights, body mass indexes (BMI), and waist circumference. Each group drank a 500 ml drink containing either 30ml, 15ml, or 0ml of vinegar daily for 12 weeks. Those in the 30ml and 15ml groups had lower BMI, visceral fat area, waist circumference, serum triglyceride, and body weight to the control group of 0ml. The 12-week weight losses were modest: 1.2kg in the 15ml group and 1.7kg in the 30ml group. These two groups consumed a similar number of calories to the control group and also performed a similar amount of exercise, so the effect is not likely to have been due to an impact on appetite or other lifestyle changes. It was concluded that consumption of vinegar might reduce obesity.

Apple cider vinegar is chosen over white vinegar for many processes involving the elimination of fungus. Although they both have highly acidic properties; apple cider also contains detoxifying qualities that will clear up other skin allergies. No side effects have been found when treating the skin with apple cider vinegar, making it a cost effective and safe remedy. "

https://www.worldhealth.net/forum/thread/99224/is-apple-cider-vinegar-that-powerful-of/?page=1

The first article you linked on was a study about diabetics in which the rules of weight loss are different. Also it does not talk at all about calorie control, and it does not test a vinegar group against a non vinegar group where both groups are of the same size, weight, and body composition. There are waaaay too many variables to isolate the vinegar as the cause of the weight loss.

Same goes for the second study. It doesn't list anything about variable control: daily water intake, daily calorie intake, similar size, weight, composition of test subjects. Please link me to an actual published study on this, not a bunch of articles and forum posts discussing "studies" without linking to anything...
  • skinny_baby
    skinny_baby Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Leosrain, would you say I am lightly active or active? I typically walk for an hour a day 7 days a week burning about 230 calories. Some days I walk for 30 minutes burning minimum 100 calories. I used the latter in my calculation. And thanks for MFP calculation. I had already gone to it when I wasn't getting direct answer to my question.

I didn't follow AJ_G's recommendation because I had lost pounds in the first trial last year while eating 1200 calories daily. I got saggy body parts due to that. So I know I need to up my calorie intake. I was looking out for a number which took everything into account. So do you say I am lightly active or active?

I am going to go to MFP recommendation. So much to the Community support! I have got too many answers from folks who must have failed their English classes in High School. Because they are not comprehending what is asked.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    AJ_G was saying that was your BMR not your TDEE. BMR is the bare minimum calories if your were in a coma. So, you obviously wouldn't want to eat that little. I would listen to him over someone claiming apple cider vinegar is the magical BMR changer. This link should help too

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • LazyBearGrrr
    LazyBearGrrr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'll maintain my advice of setting MFP to sedentary and then manually entering your exercise when you complete it. I personally believe that, just like food, exercise changes on a daily basis, and just like we log our food as we eat eat (more or less), we should do the same with exercise. This allows for a more current and accurate calculation of calorie needs.

I can't recommend a fitbit highly enough though. Especially since most of your exercise is through walking. It automatically connects to MFP and adjusts the calories you can eat.

But, the main thing to take away is that eating 600-700 net calories a day is not plausible, which is what you would ned to lose 8 pounds in a month. 2-3 pounds is probably the most you'd want to lose. this would be around the 1200 calorie mark.
    Leosrain, would you say I am lightly active or active? I typically walk for an hour a day 7 days a week burning about 230 calories. Some days I walk for 30 minutes burning minimum 100 calories. I used the latter in my calculation. And thanks for MFP calculation. I had already gone to it when I wasn't getting direct answer to my question.

I didn't follow AJ_G's recommendation because I had lost pounds in the first trial last year while eating 1200 calories daily. I got saggy body parts due to that. So I know I need to up my calorie intake. I was looking out for a number which took everything into account. So do you say I am lightly active or active?

I am going to go to MFP recommendation. So much to the Community support! I have got too many answers from folks who must have failed their English classes in High School. Because they are not comprehending what is asked.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OP, for the MFP calculation we can't say whether you are lightly active or active (you probably aren't sedentary as MFP defines it, most aren't) because that's activity before intentional activity that you log. Do you run around after kids, walk while doing errands or going to work, garden or have to walk around at work, etc? You can get that from a fitbit, as leosrain says, or estimate it based on the calculation you were given (or by giving it to MFP) and after that add on the walking. Or use one of the TDEE calculators (scooby or iifym both are sites with good ones if you plug them in google) and estimate including everything.

You aren't going to be able to lose 2 lbs per week at a reasonable number of calories, probably, because you weigh only 138. This is the situation for average sized to shorter women close to goal. And, for the reasons you identified you don't want to be at 1200-1300 calories, but much closer to maintenance, while perhaps starting some strength training.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

My recommendation didn't have you eating 1200 calories. You didn't even read what I wrote did you?
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

The first article you linked on was a study about diabetics in which the rules of weight loss are different. Also it does not talk at all about calorie control, and it does not test a vinegar group against a non vinegar group where both groups are of the same size, weight, and body composition. There are waaaay too many variables to isolate the vinegar as the cause of the weight loss.

Same goes for the second study. It doesn't list anything about variable control: daily water intake, daily calorie intake, similar size, weight, composition of test subjects. Please link me to an actual published study on this, not a bunch of articles and forum posts discussing "studies" without linking to anything...

your points are super fair.

I am too busy to do that though, and not to sound like a person giving the religious pitch, but my own personal experience just backs it up - it increases my energy, mood, and spirits substantially.. it makes me feel more full, and Idk but I think it could be a reason why I have perfect hair.

still recommending it.