80lbs down, but need help with loosing belly

Options
Heya, I've been in a journey to lose weight. I'm down 80lbs, and I've been gaining muscle which is exciting! However, I'm at a loss for this last 10lbs to my goal weight and still have a small pudge to get rid of. I'm eating lean meat and adding core workout to every session at four times a week. Still, I just can't seem to get passed that 210 point. I've been there for about a month. Suggestions?!!

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    It's hard to give you advice without knowing anything about your diet. It means absolutely nothing that you're eating lean meat. The core workouts also have absolutely zero effect on belly fat. All you can do to get rid of your belly is to keep losing weight through a calorie deficit and eventually the fat will come off there. You can not choose where your body loses fat, you just have to keep losing fat until it's gone from the places you want it to be gone from.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

How exactly are you gaining muscle? Have you been eating at a surplus and heavy lifting? Getting a good amount of protein? If not, it's far more likely losing body fat has revealed existing muscles underneath fat, which is still really awesome! If you aren't losing weight, I would make sure you're logging consistently and not overestimating calorie burns from exercise. If it doesn't change, get a food scale and weigh out all foods that aren't liquids. If you havent, this is a great read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • techcoast
    techcoast Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Typical day, :
    Breakfast
    Herbalife Shake in the morning

Lunch:
    7-10oz of chicken breast
    2 slices of whole wheat bread,
    1-1.3 oz medium cheddar cheese
    Mixed vegetables about 3/4 cups
    (Other days it'll be 1 cup rice instead of bread)

Dinner:
    7-10oz chicken breast
    Salad mix
    Light salad dressing
    Fat free feta cheese
    Mixed vegetables about 3/4 cups
    On off days
    Vegibowl from Flame Broiler beef white rice green onion (540 calories)

snacks (add until the days calorie goal is met)
    add unsalted peanuts (1 serving),
    apples (Fuji medium)
    Orange (generic 1 medium)
    Banana (generic 7-8 inches)
    String cheese (1 stick)
    Sliced turkey breast (2oz or one serving)
  • techcoast
    Options
    I'm gaining muscle through strength exercises. I do free weights 2 times a week *heavy lifting* and add bodypump twice a week as well. I usually will run 20 minutes after each session.
  • techcoast
    Options
    Oh, I should mention I drink about a gallon of water a day! :)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I'm gaining muscle through strength exercises. I do free weights 2 times a week *heavy lifting* and add bodypump twice a week as well. I usually will run 20 minutes after each session.

First off, why are you drinking an herbalife shake?

Second, listing individual foods doesn't give us any information. It would be much much more helpful to list your daily calorie intake as well as your daily intake of protein, fat, and carbs.

Third, if you're losing weight, then you're not gaining muscle. You may very well be getting stronger, but that doesn't mean that you're gaining muscle. It takes energy to build muscle, and if you're losing weight, then you're in an energy deficit and therefore you won't build muscle. The only real exception to this is if you are losing weight slowly when you are very obese.
  • techcoast
    Options
    Mk, I'm at
    about 1900 calories per day
    about 170 carbs
    about 170 protein
    about 40 fat
    about 1900 sodium
    about 50 sugar

As for why the shake, I like it, it's a decent amount of protein vs calorie intake, and on heavy lifting days I add a couple of eggs and toast to supplement it. :)
  • techcoast
    Options
    I do have a scale, its how I'm keeping track of the amounts of food I'm taking in. I also cut back from what the app says I burn in the classes and I don't count lifting on it's own altogether. :)
  • GlennTipton
    GlennTipton Posts: 19
    Options
    "Abs are made in the kitchen".

Working out more is great but it's not going to target anything. The "little pudge" will be the very last thing that goes. It's very unlikely you are building muscle. Either you are just seeing more muscle as the fat reduces or you are eating a surplus of calories and "bulking".

You are trying to burn body fat so cut down on your carbs. You have fat stores to burn that will give you that energy. Trust your body to look after you. I would suggest 30-40g a day max.

I think 1900 a day is too much for a cut. That number needs to be revised, especially after you have dropped so much weight. Your body isn't working as hard every day just living and doesn't need as much energy from food. Take it down to 1700 and see how you feel after a week or two and adjust up or down.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    GlennTipton, I'm 5'3.5" 118 lbs and female and can lose on 1900 calories a day, so I don't think he'll have issues losing weight.
    Also, losing fat is simple calorie deficit and a good amount of protein, ideally resistance training to boot. He doesn't need to low carb unless he wants to. I went from 31% BF to 17% at around 260g of carbs a day
  • GlennTipton
    GlennTipton Posts: 19
    Options
    GlennTipton, I'm 5'3.5" 118 lbs and female and can lose on 1900 calories a day, so I don't think he'll have issues losing weight.
    Also, losing fat is simple calorie deficit and a good amount of protein, ideally resistance training to boot. He doesn't need to low carb unless he wants to. I went from 31% BF to 17% at around 260g of carbs a day
    You might want to do some research. A lot has changed since 1973.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

What? Lol Please do elaborate.

I'm curious how anything I said has anything to do with 1973 research.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

You aren't actually losing weight Sugar, its all been an elaborate illusion designed to trick you into thinking that your maintenance level is higher than 1900 calories per day.
  • techcoast
    Options
    Please, keep it civil folks.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

oh, It Is civil. Just illustrating a point ;)
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

You aren't actually losing weight Sugar, its all been an elaborate illusion designed to trick you into thinking that your maintenance level is higher than 1900 calories per day.

My...fitness journey..has been lies?!?!?! *fists to the air*
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I agree with Sugar that if you weigh 210 pounds 1900 calories net is a goal that is reasonable for weight loss and you should not have to eat less than that as the other poster suggested.
  • techcoast
    Options
    So, then lower my carb intake? Kind of afraid of that.. Having done Atkins, I know the body needs them .. What would be reasonable ?
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    You don't have to do low carb. I've lost 50 lbs spending over 40% of my calories on carbs. Calories in vs out
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    So, then lower my carb intake? Kind of afraid of that.. Having done Atkins, I know the body needs them .. What would be reasonable ?

My personal experience is if I drop carbs below 40% of my total intake I find it difficult to complete my workouts without running out of steam. I see no reason to go low carb.

Honestly 1 month doesn't demonstrate maintenance for sure, could just be some water retention and you will "whoosh" later. If you've had success thusfar I'd say just keep at it. As you get closer to your goal your weight loss will slow but it shouldn't go from fast loss to halt overnight.