Calories in Skins?

Options
MyChocolateDiet
MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
I frequently eat baked potato and yes, I know the skins are sooooooooooooo good for you but I hardly ever get to them, I'm usually full.

So I kind of think since this a frequently occuring meal in my food diary I should be accurate.

When I go to minus cals for potato skins though it seems like those might be referring to the deep fried kind with toppings?

So does anyone know how I can subtract the cals for just a whole potato's worth of potato skin? Or eating the inside only?

I eat this almost daily so i think 7 days of mislogged cals could add up to like a snicker bar I could be having on a sunday or something.

Replies

• George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    It puts the lotion on it's skin...
    4e1b90cb-199a-a59c.jpg
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I was all Hannibal Lectering in my mind
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think there are listings for peeled baked potatoes you can check those out
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    why don't you just weigh what you eat and use that for an accurate calorie count if you're worried about what you're not eating? So weigh the whole thing then weigh the leftovers, do the math, and voila.

Or....just don't worry about it.
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    According to http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2558/2 a medium sized baked potato without skin is approx. 144 calories, and skin on http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2770/2 is about 161 calories.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    There are entries in the database for something like "potatoes, baked, skin and flesh" and then also "potatoes, baked, flesh only."
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    There are entries in the database for something like "potatoes, baked, skin and flesh" and then also "potatoes, baked, flesh only."

(Not sure if the difference will be enough for a snickers, though.)

Whoa, that was a weird double-posty thing.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    It puts the lotion on it's skin...
    4e1b90cb-199a-a59c.jpg

oh shet. i can't beleive i wasted 5 freaking minutes making sure not to mispell in the thread title and i didn't notice that obvious potential. i'm tired ppl. yeah. sorry.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    why don't you just weigh what you eat and use that for an accurate calorie count if you're worried about what you're not eating? So weigh the whole thing then weigh the leftovers, do the math, and voila.

Or....just don't worry about it.

this is what i've been doing...forever.

if you tell me oh hey those cals are negligible, don't' even worry. I'll take it.

the only reason it occurs to me that they may count is because i eat this almost daily and so they might be adding up. i might be entitled to more candy!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

(Not sure if the difference will be enough for a snickers, though.)

Whoa, that was a weird double-posty thing.

this whole thread posted itself double on my wall. <twilight zone music>

but thanks I could never have guessed they'd be listed liek that. i picke the first baked potato i coudl find and ran with it. oh shoort i'm typing so bad b/c my kdis sitting on my lapand bumping my arm oof!
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    The skin is the best part :noway: . I really need to stop being so lazy and start cooking more spuds.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Skin has fiber to help you go to the bathroom regularly!! And other good nutrients too that are not found in the potato flesh itself. I love the skin. :D
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    According to http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2558/2 a medium sized baked potato without skin is approx. 144 calories, and skin on http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2770/2 is about 161 calories.

thanks 144 it is. also that's a small amount to worry about. oopsies sorry to take up ppls time, for some reason since ppl push you to eat it so much "all teh fiber" and yada yada I thought it had like half the cals of the whole potato.