Getting to the end of my rope - really need support system

Options
Hey Guys -

I have asked 100000 questions on this forum, and have done research upon research, counting every calorie I can count, performing all the right lifts, giving two years of patience.

I decided to reset and really focus on gaining .5 lb/week on a bulk a month ago. I was going up from 186 from a while (probably water and glycogen) until I hit 190, then it tapered back off, and over a month later, and i'm back to 186. I eat 3700 calories a day, feel fat as *kitten* (but probably not actually that fat - my mind has taken over and I'm beginning to get dysmorphic about my appearance - esp when I sit down, etc).

I'm the type of person who wants to do everything right and will go at great lengths to make sure I get there. However, weightlifting and achieving a better body has never worked for me. It's so disheartening to see everyone on here make great gains, and I am left with nothing - not even a measly .5 lb weight gain to show.

I know I should "eat more" but this is beginning to go way beyond that for me. I continue to stall on my lifts, get confused in what I should do to break plateaus, don't have a program to follow because everyone has an opinion on what's best. It's driving me insane

Sorry to rant. I'm just frustrated. I attached a photo of where I'm at. It's pretty 50/50 on whether I should bulk or cut. I just need a good plan. I hate to eat 4000 calories a day when I already feel so fat. But I feel so small I couldn't imagine cutting down to the little LBM I feel I have.

Please help. I have no support system and am going at this alone. It really sucks. Over 2 years have been wasted spinning around in circles. I don't know where else to turn. I've been 100% consistent, and I'm forcing myself to take a week off for the first time in a long time. Hopefully I can gather a plan in that time. I'm trying not to be a little b*tch about it. I've toughed it out for so long I can feel it unraveling.

Thanks guys

ln51LkI.jpg

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Metabolic adaptation works both ways. In a bulk, you will have to continue to add calories over time to continue gaining (within reason). If you're not willing to do this, you're wasting your time with your bulk. Everybody feels fat on their bulk, it's just the way it is. You can either get over it or keep wasting your time spinning your wheels and accomplishing nothing. The choice is yours.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    What is your actual aim?
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    OMG, I think you look great and I am not sure what you are concerned about. I guess I should not comment cause I am in unchartered waters here. I guess you want a ripped body look, and I think you look perfect the way you are.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no advice, but had to jump in and say - you're not fat.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?

What body fat percentage are you?

Why are your lifts stalling?

Are you actually following a progressive lifting program?

Two years, you've been learning all about lifting and health, it's not wasted!

It took me 24 years to get my body back!
  • Mocha02
    Mocha02 Posts: 96
    Options
    Lift heavier weights, consistently. Make sure your lean proteins, carbs, and healthy fats are ample enough for your body type. Get a gym partner/personal trainer to help push you in your lifts.
  • meganmluitjens
    meganmluitjens Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If your really worried I would talk to your doctor about getting a displacement fat test it is the only true test of your body fat percentage and they will have advice on how to bulk up, but fyi if your doing this for anyone else you look just fine and at a good healthy weight.
  • Becca539
    Becca539 Posts: 15
    Options
    As other people are saying, perhaps talk to a nutritionist, they will tell you exactly what you need to eat to achieve your goals. Btw I think you look great even at the moment
  • va_01
    va_01 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Metabolic adaptation works both ways. In a bulk, you will have to continue to add calories over time to continue gaining (within reason). If you're not willing to do this, you're wasting your time with your bulk. Everybody feels fat on their bulk, it's just the way it is. You can either get over it or keep wasting your time spinning your wheels and accomplishing nothing. The choice is yours.

The thing is that I just completed another round of adding cals (3500-3700 now.) I wasn't gaining (or losing) at 3500, but once I got on 3700, I gained 4 lbs in 2 weeks, then it al lwent back to the same weight I was at when I started the new #. This does not make any sense to me
  • va_01
    Options
    What is your actual aim?

My mid-term goal (next 1-2 years) is to roughly be 200 lbs / 12% bf.
  • va_01
    Options
    As other people are saying, perhaps talk to a nutritionist, they will tell you exactly what you need to eat to achieve your goals. Btw I think you look great even at the moment

Thank you for your compliment. I have been to 2 nutritionists. Neither believe in "bulking" to gain muscle. So that doesn't help me out much :/ it's hard for me to find someone who understands my goals and supports me through them.
  • va_01
    Options
    What are your stats?

My stats are 6'2 / 186 lbs / ~15-16% bf.

I have no idea why my lifts are stalling. I have been doing the same lifts for a while. About 3 months ago I changed up my routine to be more of a full body 3x/week vs my p/p/l I was doing before. But the lifts are the same (although there are fewer now).

I want to get on an ACTUAL program and not one a trainer drums up for me in 5 minutes. I was told ICF 5x5 was good. Do you know any others and how they compare to ones like All Pros, SS, StrongLifts, Madcows, Texas Method, etc?
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys -

I have asked 100000 questions on this forum, and have done research upon research, counting every calorie I can count, performing all the right lifts, giving two years of patience.

I decided to reset and really focus on gaining .5 lb/week on a bulk a month ago. I was going up from 186 from a while (probably water and glycogen) until I hit 190, then it tapered back off, and over a month later, and i'm back to 186. I eat 3700 calories a day, feel fat as *kitten* (but probably not actually that fat - my mind has taken over and I'm beginning to get dysmorphic about my appearance - esp when I sit down, etc).

I'm the type of person who wants to do everything right and will go at great lengths to make sure I get there. However, weightlifting and achieving a better body has never worked for me. It's so disheartening to see everyone on here make great gains, and I am left with nothing - not even a measly .5 lb weight gain to show.

I know I should "eat more" but this is beginning to go way beyond that for me. I continue to stall on my lifts, get confused in what I should do to break plateaus, don't have a program to follow because everyone has an opinion on what's best. It's driving me insane

Sorry to rant. I'm just frustrated. I attached a photo of where I'm at. It's pretty 50/50 on whether I should bulk or cut. I just need a good plan. I hate to eat 4000 calories a day when I already feel so fat. But I feel so small I couldn't imagine cutting down to the little LBM I feel I have.

Please help. I have no support system and am going at this alone. It really sucks. Over 2 years have been wasted spinning around in circles. I don't know where else to turn. I've been 100% consistent, and I'm forcing myself to take a week off for the first time in a long time. Hopefully I can gather a plan in that time. I'm trying not to be a little b*tch about it. I've toughed it out for so long I can feel it unraveling.

Thanks guys

ln51LkI.jpg

Oh Honey, you are absolutely beautiful!
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I found the best way to build muscle, (this will be a big shocker to most people) enjoy your work outs. If you hate bench press you will never push yourself on it and will get no progressive overload. On the other hand if you love dips and want to push yourself on them, and feel good pushing yourself very hard on them you will get great results. Once you get rid of the mindset of having to do things the best and right way, you will be able to make much better judgments on your progress, and who knows you might have some fun, heaven forbid.
  • Becca539
    Becca539 Posts: 15
    Options
    Damn, and no need to thank me on the compliment - it's well deserved, you seem pretty great.

I know you probably are but are you lifting heavy enough whereby you can get to the 8th rep and have DOMS the next day?
  • shrinkingmichelle
    shrinkingmichelle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There's a group on here, I think it's called "Eat, Train. Progress" One of the mods is SideSteel. Maybe there's some info in it that can guide you in your training goals. Good luck to you!

Michelle
  • DopeItUp
    Options

The thing is that I just completed another round of adding cals (3500-3700 now.) I wasn't gaining (or losing) at 3500, but once I got on 3700, I gained 4 lbs in 2 weeks, then it al lwent back to the same weight I was at when I started the new #. This does not make any sense to me

It makes perfect sense, really. Whenever you increase calories you are going to see a jump in weight due to water retention and extra food volume. This is just temporary and "fake" weight gain. If you don't keep gaining past the first few weeks, then you just aren't eating enough. It's really that simple. By the end of my first bulk I was eating 4000 a day at a bare minimum. We're pretty close in size too, I started my bulk at 6'3" 198lbs (and probably a bit fatter than you).
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    What are your stats?

I have no idea why my lifts are stalling. I have been doing the same lifts for a while. About 3 months ago I changed up my routine to be more of a full body 3x/week vs my p/p/l I was doing before. But the lifts are the same (although there are fewer now).

I want to get on an ACTUAL program and not one a trainer drums up for me in 5 minutes. I was told ICF 5x5 was good. Do you know any others and how they compare to ones like All Pros, SS, StrongLifts, Madcows, Texas Method, etc?

What are your current maxes for the big three? Or big four if you prefer. If you've been lifting for 2 years, a beginner program is probably not going to be optimal. I'm curious to see where you're at to give my suggestion though.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    You look great to me, don't be so hard on yourself.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?

ICF is good for muscle gain for beginners. Texas Method is good for people that are no longer beginners. Both have the volume needed for muscle gain.

You aren't eating enough, this is a very easy problem to solve. Quit trying to lean bulk with a pathetically small surplus, you aren't experienced enough to pull it off. Aim for 1.0 pound per week, a +500 cal surplus. Don't worry, you won't become obese overnight, but you will actually gain muscle.

I've always had to eat near 4K cals/day in order to gain (actually was over 4K cals my first couple bulks). When I started out, I was no bigger than you. Even now I'm 6'1" 205, I average 3800-3900 cals/day when bulking, with plenty of days over 4K.