Is anyone a member of TOPS? (Taking off Pounds Sensibly)

Options
cindyb1984
cindyb1984 Posts: 203 Member
Hi everyone
I have been debating joining TOPS for the last while.
I am just wondering if anyone out there is a member? What is it like?
The only things I know about TOPS is what I have found on the website so I am wondering about people's experiences.
Thanks,
Cindy

Replies

• ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    The only things I know about TOPS is what I have found on the website so I am wondering about people's experiences.
    Thanks,
    Cindy

I joined online over 7 months ago. It's sort of an outdated organization comprised of mostly senior women. The folks at the chapters I've visited have all been really nice to me. I work out of town during the week in two different offices at times and attend two separate groups depending on which town I'm in for the week.

The positive about the organization is that membership cost are really cheap. Like $29 per year plus a few bucks a month to the local chapter.

I attend primarily to weigh weekly and to keep myself accountable to me. They provide a chart for you that the weight recorder uses to record your weekly progress.

Attending the meeting after the private weigh-in is not compulsory. Although if you do not stay, you are not eligible for weekly, monthly, quarterly or yearly prizes. When I first started attending I was winning the jack pot every week, usually $5.00 to $7.00. However, after awhile I was just too tired (due to work schedule) to remain.

Like everything else I have incorporated in my weight-loss regimen, I view TOPS as just one more tool in my tool box of weight-loss success and lifestyle changes I'm making.

Seems to be helping as I am down 76 plus lbs in 7.5 months ;-)
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Thanks,
    Cindy

TOPS is a old club, I belonged to it 35 years or so ago. It is a group of women who support each other, weigh in weekly, have small contests, and generally fellowship with one another. There are area and national conferences where you can be awarded trophies for losing the most weight, attended the most meetings, etc. It was a lot of fun when I did it. Our whole group wore matching dresses and just had a ball!
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I went for 2 1/2 years, lost 57 pounds. The weigh-in was the most valuable. Most of the area meetings consist of older, overweight women who have actually given up on losing weight and use the meeting as a social club. Certain members, the leader and a few others could not even hide their jealousy of my weight loss success. Other people that came and had success were also victims of the leaders jealousy-- it was unbelievable! I quit 2 months ago. Sorry it is so screwed up. I tried to get a new person elected as leader--impossible. I do miss the weigh-in accountability !