Joggers!

Options
What is your pace? Sometimes I feel like an idiot. I have short legs and cannot jog fast. I'm talking like 4.0 to 4.2 outside on pavement and 4.5 - 5.0 on the treadmill.

With that being said, my heart rate is usually between 160 - 172 when i'm jogging and I really don't think I should be going over that.

So I was reading this...

---

What is Jogging?

Jogging is a low impact form of exercise which involves running slowly at a pace of six miles per hour. Some other light impact exercises in addition to jogging are stair climbing, swimming, cycling or walking instead of jogging. We will discuss these later.

---

I am telling you guys at 4.2 I am jogging. lol I know people WALK at 4.2 but that is just not possible for me with my legs.

So anyway, how fast do you jog?

Replies

• sabell82
    Options
    haha, I hear ya! My husband can walk at 4 and I am jogging at 4, sprinting at 5! I am 5'3 so I understand that we can't run that fast. I'm sure I could but I might fly off the treadmill :/
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm at a 6.7 pace but my wife's at a 5.0 pace. If you're doing it for the exercise and using an HRM don't worry about it. I know I'll never win a race I just like the feeling I get after running (I still hate the process of running but love the end). Do it for you and no one else. Just keep on jogging at your pace.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I do my warm up jog on the treadmill at 7.0 mph, my workout usually has me at 8.0-8.5 mph. My cool down I do jog slowly at 4.0 mph though, I find I can't walk until I get down to 3.7 or so, and that is a fast walk.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Ignore the crap out of that Lina! How long have you been running? I started out running SLOWER that 4.0 (it took me 10 min to run .6 mi my first time out). I'm only JUST now after a year of running and speed training starting to consistently run faster than 5.0

It's discouraging number wise, but do what is comfy for you so you will stick with it!
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    I do my warm up jog on the treadmill at 7.0 mph, my workout usually has me at 8.0-8.5 mph. My cool down I do jog slowly at 4.0 mph though, I find I can't walk until I get down to 3.7 or so, and that is a fast walk.

That's comforting. Jeez man.
  • tamr818
    tamr818 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually jog on the treadmill between 4.5 - 5.0 as well with a heart rate about 160.
    So for me that sounds normal, I may try to pick up the pace after awhile but I feel Im already pushing myself at this rate.
  • DAMECHOCOLATE79
    DAMECHOCOLATE79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    well I am 5.4 I am at the same pace 4 can't go past that but I am happy that am doing it it works well enough to gime a sweat so don't worrie about it , aslong as your doing it it's all that counts!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    my jog pace is about 5.0-5.2. If I get up to 5.5-5.8 I am running!

as long as your out there jogging, you are benefiting from it!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I started walking outside in September 2009. A few months after that I added in jogging, so I can say I have been doing it for a year.

I still can't jog very long periods of time. For example, yesterday I went out and I started walking for a few minutes to warm up and then jogged 1.5 miles and then walked for a little, then jogged for about .25 miles, so on and so forth for 4.4 miles.

I think my problem is in my head. When i'm going I start to convince myself that I can't do this. Like the idea of jogging 3 miles straight seems impossible to me, but why? I don't know why I convince myself to stop. When I was at 1.5 miles yesterday I could have so kept on going but I kept saying in my head "wow you have gone far, you can walk now". WTF how stupid is that?

I have a 5k in March and I would LOVE to jog the entire thing.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I only recently got into running about a month ago steadily because my husband likes to run. So we run side by side on the treadmill. Granted, I'm 3 inches taller than he is and according to him, that's all legs. Silly man at first tried to compete with my speed because I have a long stride and had to make it feel comfortable for my knees and back. We finally just realized that our goals aren't to compete against each other, but ourselves. If once a week I change on small thing on the treadmill, like interval hills at a low level, or going up just one tiny notch on speed, then I know that I personally am improving. I say, Do what makes your body feel better each time you do it!
  • lina1131
    Options
    Btw, I do wear a HRM and yesterday in 68 minutes I did 4.4 miles and burned 721 calories. That's not too bad right?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Depends what your goals are. Are you just running for fitness or training for race? If only for fitness, then you shouldn't be running to the point you can't carry a conversation because you're out of breath. If you are, then slow down even if it means you have to walk/run until you build up your fitness.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    Don't worry about speed, just jog. The speed will pick up, but your body must get used to the running first. I know I don't run fast, never have. I used to worry about miles, but as of late I've worried more about pushing my self. I try to run hard for a set time. If you're worried about time, you need to start doing a thing called Hills and Flats. One day you run on a flat surface the next you run on a hilly surface or run a steep slope/incline.
  • lina1131
    Options
    I am doing it for me, but I also do have a 5k in March, but I am not doing that to win. It is a 5k to benefit an organization that is dear to my heart so I'm doing it basically for the donation and the benefit of the exercise for that day if that makes sense. I do more than 5k 3 or 4 times a week so I know I can complete it walking and running but my goal is to do the entire thing jogging.
  • Karrie1974
    Karrie1974 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have started training at the Running Room and what the trainers say there is to get comfortable with a SLOW jog. Get your heart rate up and learn to breathe and go slow. They constantly say that you may be jogging slower than you walk, but once you can do a go amount of time doing slow running then you would pick up the pace. Since starting running club I have done 4 5Kms and I am still running super slow but my endurance is picking up and eventually I will pick up my pace. Ultimately you have to do what is good for y ou and if you are feeling good and your heart rate is up then you are doing wonderful! Keep up the good work and don't give up!
  • lina1131
    Options
    I guess I'm just thinking, dang, I have been doing this for over a year and I still haven't been able to jog my entire trail. Yesterday was the best I have ever done though, so I'm hoping that I can just get through the mental block and keep improving. I truly believe my stupid thoughts while I'm jogging get in my way. It's like I convince myself i'm too tired to keep jogging when I KNOW I can keep going.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    Btw, I do wear a HRM and yesterday in 68 minutes I did 4.4 miles and burned 721 calories. That's not too bad right?

Nope.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of genetics at play in athletics. Some of us may get in excellent physical shape with great levels of fitness, but still never have the capability of the guy running a mile in 5 minutes or less. He no doubt worked hard to achieve this but had he not been given certain gifts he would never have achieved that level of performance. We can't compare ourselves to these guys - seriously, it is just needlessly discouraging and unfair to our particular capabilities.

I'm short also and used to run in local races for fitness and the social end too. Was in great shape and even completed a marathon, but even then the fastest I ever completed a mile was 8 minutes. It was usually more like 9 1/2 or 10 for longer distances. For me this was blazing fast and I never had the physical makeup that could have done more.

These days my canine running pal is slowing down, and not wanting to leave him behind we spend our time being happy with fast walking. When I do get a chance to run I'm much more in the 11 - 12 minute mile range, or that 5 to 5.5 MPH range shown on the treadmill. And for me this is still a challenging, heart pounding workout.

The point is the heart rate is still up there when you are putting your best effort out. That is what burns calories; that is what pushes you to a higher level of fitness, and that is all that matters. Ignore the speed and other readouts on your console unless you have the genetics and intend to make a career out of the sport. For the rest of us it is just to get in our personal best shape. Running is by far the best way to achieve this!
  • lina1131
    Options
    Thanks for everyone that has chimed in. :)
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    I think my problem is in my head. When i'm going I start to convince myself that I can't do this. Like the idea of jogging 3 miles straight seems impossible to me, but why? I don't know why I convince myself to stop. When I was at 1.5 miles yesterday I could have so kept on going but I kept saying in my head "wow you have gone far, you can walk now". WTF how stupid is that?

This is going to sound dopey/obvious but do you listen to music? because I've found having it on helps me "zone out" and get past those "i should walk now" thoughts. Best thing I've found is to take your iPod/MP3 player on the treadmill, and find songs whose beats match your foot falls at your given pace (maybe 1-2 for 4.0, 4.5 and 5.0?) and make a play list for each, similar to that song (I like to use "genius" on iTunes). More than once I've made it through to the end of my run when my first two steps were AGONIZING because my music kept my brain off my body long enough for my body to start actually enjoying the run.

Also, if you do want to build speed, I've found intervals really helpful.

Good luck!