is this ok as a weekly routine.

Options
So I recently joined a gym, but can't afford a personal trainer so have signed up to loads of fitness classes, but I'm unsure if I'm training enough to be building muscle. My routine is
Monday: spin class 45 minutes
Tuesday: la 30 functional conditioning ( which is a circuit training class, using kettlebells, sandbags and own bodyweight) 30 minutes. Pilates 1 hour
Wednesday: bodypump (les mills) 1 hour, weight training class
Thursday:la 30 functional conditioning 30 minutes body balance ( les mills, mix of Pilates,yoga and tai chi) 1 hour
Friday: la 30 functional playground 30 minutes, ( circuit with cardio and weights) yoga 1 hour
Saturday: body balance 1 hour. kettlebell class, weight training with kettlebell circuit.
All the circuits, you get 30 seconds to 1 minute on each station.
My diary is open, I know abs are made in the kitchen not the gym so I've upped my protein and lowered my carbs and sugar

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you're not building any muscle eating in a calorie deficit.
  • eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Rookie mistake, will I at least be minimising the amount of muscle I lose while losing fat.
  • green_owl
    green_owl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    for building muscle swap all your yoga, pilates and spin classes for more weight training.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Muscles are built when you're resting, not in the gym. You're all over the place with what you're doing and you're not resting e.g. doing Sandbag/Kettlebell workouts one day then doing a weight lifting class the next. I'd suggest finding a proven routine or switch to a Full Body routine 2-3 times a week.
  • eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks all
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    May I suggest Jefit. When I first joined the gym I felt lost and like I was wandering aimlessly. It's an app on your phone and there are alot of preprogrammed workouts designed specifically for what your goal is. This app was a lifesaver for me in the beginning. Hope you get it all figured out.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    May I suggest Jefit. When I first joined the gym I felt lost and like I was wandering aimlessly. It's an app on your phone and there are alot of preprogrammed workouts designed specifically for what your goal is. This app was a lifesaver for me in the beginning. Hope you get it all figured out.

Can you recommend some good apps? I'm looking to incorporate more lifting as well. Thanks!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

Can you recommend some good apps? I'm looking to incorporate more lifting as well. Thanks!

Jefit is the app. It is the only app I ever used so it's the only one I can reccomend. I loved it though. I really felt like I had no clue what I was doing until one of my girlfriends suggested it to me. It was a life saver. I still use it occasionally. Tracks personal goals, times, records, etc. Also shows you how to complete each move properly. I loved it.
  • Siamone77
    Siamone77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What about just a light jog / long walk on days between your workouts, would aid in building muscle?