I am supposed to eat 2146 healthy calories?...

Ok, so I am going to try to eat more to weigh less while lifting and am sorting out my tdee (2683) and bmr (1731) and minus 20% which leaves me eating 2146 a day which is all good. However, when I am trying to sort out a day's food in really healthy ingredients and it is actually quite a lot of food if I am giving up unhealthy options! When eating processed crap that is really easy but I dont want to do that anymore... How are other people eating this much food and not feeling stuffed in the gym? What are you eating?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i follow IIFYM, so i am happy to eat processed crap if i need the extra cals!
  • TavistockToad
    oh, and peanut butter... the answer to more calories is always peanut butter!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Peanut butter, avocado, nuts, chicken, brown rice, yogurts,
    Just examples - I'm not sure where you draw the line at healthy :)
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,035 Member

And cheese. And almonds. And walnuts.

Maybe not all together though.
  • bleweydgrl
    bleweydgrl Posts: 55
    OMG....I can eat peanut butter again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant! That has just made my day!
  • sjiektallgirl
    sjiektallgirl Posts: 6 Member
    nuts and fruit and little bits of snacks - every 2 hours. And peanut butter 15 min before workout
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Not all those calories need to be "healthy". Part of the fun of not starving yourself and eating more food is that you get more wiggle room to fit in the treats. I absolutely agree with peanut butter, nuts, avocados, oils, etc. But would also add ice cream to that list!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Set your macros to ensure you are getting adequate protein and fats in your diet. A commonly recommended split is 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats.

When planning a day's food, I've found it is easiest to plan protein intake first, after which the fats and carbs tend to fall into place. Aim to get as close to these macros as possible. You will find that it is usually necessary to include lean proteins and whole foods in order to keep the macros balanced, but there will also be room to enjoy whatever other foods you enjoy.

Many people also find it helps to look at the macros over the course of the week, rather than day to day.
  • caseythirteen
    And peanut butter 15 min before workout
    Why?
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member

^^^^ this

plus cottage cheese, chicken, porridge, nuts there's plenty of good healthy foods with enough calories to fill the day, i'm on 3000 and i barely touch any crappy foods just to fill the day, sometimes i like to splurge but hey whats life without a little colour every now and then

my alternative to PBJ:
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
    Sunpat - Smooth Peanut Butter, 60 g 368 9 29 15 300 3
    Low Fat Cottage Cheese + Pineapple, 150 g 126 16 1 13 420 16
    Dark Rye Whole Grain Rye Crispbread, 4 136 27 0 4 120 1

Totals
    Calories - 630
    Carbs - 52
    Fat - 30
    Protein - 32
    Sodium - 840
    Sugar - 20

great mid morning snack
  • bleweydgrl
    Set your macros to ensure you are getting adequate protein and fats in your diet. A commonly recommended split is 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats.

When planning a day's food, I've found it is easiest to plan protein intake first, after which the fats and carbs tend to fall into place. Aim to get as close to these macros as possible. You will find that it is usually necessary to include lean proteins and whole foods in order to keep the macros balanced, but there will also be room to enjoy whatever other foods you enjoy.

Many people also find it helps to look at the macros over the course of the week, rather than day to day.

I have just set my macros to 40/30/30 and am trying to sort out a few days worth of food now hence the question. I thought I might have to resort to protein shakes. I did not really think about full fat cheese, peanut butter or nuts or avacados to be honest. Those things have been off my radar for a while now.
  • TavistockToad

I have just set my macros to 40/30/30 and am trying to sort out a few days worth of food now hence the question. I thought I might have to resort to protein shakes. I did not really think about full fat cheese, peanut butter or nuts or avacados to be honest. Those things have been off my radar for a while now.

do you need protein or fat? the macros in a protein shake and peanut butter are rather different!
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    OMG....I can eat peanut butter again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant! That has just made my day!

Again? Well, welcome back, peanut butter!! Peanut butter can fit into any diet. Just weigh it out and you'll be fine. :flowerforyou:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Not all those calorie need to be "healthy". Part of the fun of not starving yourself and eating more food is that you get more wiggle room to fit in the treats. I absolutely agree with peanut butter, nuts, avocados, oils, etc. But would also add ice cream to that list!

^Talenti gelato, even.

Once your nutrient needs are met you don't get extra credit for getting more -Eric Helms. Hit your macro/micro targets and stop looking at food as good or bad! :D
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    There are lots of healthy, calorie dense foods. Anything that is the basis of a traditional cuisine:

Nuts, figs, dates
    Cheese, milk
    Beans, corn, rice, potatoes
    Bread

It doesn't take a lot of any of these to add 500 calories or so.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member

Cheese and walnuts are a great combination - not the almonds though (at the same time that is) :happy:
  • caseythirteen
    Not all those calorie need to be "healthy". Part of the fun of not starving yourself and eating more food is that you get more wiggle room to fit in the treats. I absolutely agree with peanut butter, nuts, avocados, oils, etc. But would also add ice cream to that list!

^Talenti gelato, even.

Once your nutrient needs are met you don't get extra credit for getting more -Eric Helms. Hit your macro/micro targets and stop looking at food as good or bad! :D
    ^^ This! It might take some time to adjust your mindset but it can also feel so good to realize that food is just food and with the right balance, you can enjoy all kinds of things.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,035 Member

Cheese and walnuts are a great combination - not the almonds though (at the same time that is) :happy:

I was including peanut butter in that mix... pb&cheese does not sound too appealing... lol
    pb and almonds do, and pretty sure I had an amazing cheese and walnut chicken dish once... mmm... I need to look that up..
  • bleweydgrl

do you need protein or fat? the macros in a protein shake and peanut butter are rather different!

Are they? I have no idea about that...I am very newb at nutrition. At the moment I am just looking for healthy carb, fat and protein stuff to reach my calorie goal...I have another 860 calories to fit in today and they are supposed to be 90/27/70 carbs/fat/protein remaining. I think the problem is I don't really know how to sort that out except for plugging food in and seeing what it does to the macros and changing it if it doesnt fit properly.
  • TavistockToad

Are they? I have no idea about that...I am very newb at nutrition. At the moment I am just looking for healthy carb, fat and protein stuff to reach my calorie goal...I have another 860 calories to fit in today and they are supposed to be 90/27/70 carbs/fat/protein remaining. I think the problem is I don't really know how to sort that out except for plugging food in and seeing what it does to the macros and changing it if it doesnt fit properly.

pre log each day and build your meals round the protein and fat that you need. if you then need some carbs grab a doughnut.
  • bleweydgrl

^Talenti gelato, even.

^^ This! It might take some time to adjust your mindset but it can also feel so good to realize that food is just food and with the right balance, you can enjoy all kinds of things.

The problem is that I have spent a lot of years perfecting the art of eating crap and I always felt deprived when on a diet only eating low fat food. Then recently I read somewhere someone said 'If you quit smoking would you feel deprived if you could never have a cigarette again? Even when you are doing something for yourself that is really healthy and good?' So it make me think that probably my eating crap is an addiction and I am not deprived by not eating it I am giving myself a healthy body and life. I dont by any means think I will never touch chocolate or ice cream again but I will definately be looking for a more healthy way to make myself feel fulfilled and happy.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Low fat does not equal healthy.
  • SugaryLynx

^Talenti gelato, even.

The problem is that I have spent a lot of years perfecting the art of eating crap and I always felt deprived when on a diet only eating low fat food. Then recently I read somewhere someone said 'If you quit smoking would you feel deprived if you could never have a cigarette again? Even when you are doing something for yourself that is really healthy and good?' So it make me think that probably my eating crap is an addiction and I am not deprived by not eating it I am giving myself a healthy body and life. I dont by any means think I will never touch chocolate or ice cream again but I will definately be looking for a more healthy way to make myself feel fulfilled and happy.

Healthy is in context of your whole diet, not individual foods. That's where I think you're missing the point. If you enjoy cutting things out and you don't feel like you'll be prone to binge or relapse on old habits because you like eating those foods you've labeled "bad", more power to you but understand this. No foods are bad. There aren't "junk" food. There's less nutrient dense foods and are only bad if that's the only thing you eat. It's a game of balance.

As far as addiction. I don't think so. Chips, ice cream, pizza, etc are tasty, of course you'll want to eat them. That doesn't make them addictive. People a lot of times put unnecessary terms on an item
    I was prone to emotional binges, I used food as an outlet. Was I an addict? Most certainly not. I found new ways to satisfy that response that wasn't food.

Also, fats are vital for hormonal control and overall health. So low fat is by no means healthy
  • bleweydgrl

^Talenti gelato, even.

Healthy is in context of your whole diet, not individual foods. That's where I think you're missing the point. If you enjoy cutting things out and you don't feel like you'll be prone to binge or relapse on old habits because you like eating those foods you've labeled "bad", more power to you but understand this. No foods are bad. There aren't "junk" food. There's less nutrient dense foods and are only bad if that's the only thing you eat. It's a game of balance.

As far as addiction. I don't think so. Chips, ice cream, pizza, etc are tasty, of course you'll want to eat them. That doesn't make them addictive. People a lot of times put unnecessary terms on an item
    I was prone to emotional binges, I used food as an outlet. Was I an addict? Most certainly not. I found new ways to satisfy that response that wasn't food.

Also, fats are vital for hormonal control and overall health. So low fat is by no means healthy

I like this, somethings to think about there!
  • bleweydgrl
    Low fat does not equal healthy.

I have just figured this one out hence the eating overhaul :)
  • SugaryLynx
    This is a good read, if you get a chance♡

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

When I started out last year, I thought healthy meant buying all those low fat and diet things that are marketed so well just about well...everywhere! It made no sense to me I could still incorporate the foods I loved into my diet and lose weight and maintain my health. But that's exactly what I did. It really opened my eyes.
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Cheese, avocados, nuts and pumpkin seeds are my go to calories for when I want something with an extra punch. I also added a fruit and protein powder shake in the morning and post workout.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    olive oil! roast veggies in olive oil, a good splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar on salads, stirfry with sesame seed oil and a few cashew nuts thrown in, or lovely fresh pesto, olive oil, basil leaves, pinenuts, parmesan, (sundried tomatoes and roasted pepper for red pesto) and garlic all zizzed up together in a blender (or just buy some from a deli) oh yeah and I guess adding sundried tomatoes/olives/any other anti-pasta roasted veggies that have been marinated in olive oil to your food.

And as others have said nut butters, avocado, dried fruit and nuts, coconut cream for curries, full fat hummus etc I find muesli with a sliced banana, yoghurt and honey mixed in on a morning is healthy and calorific.

And there's nothing wrong with the odd helping of chocolate or cheese :D

mmmm all my favourite things.... stupid 1440 sedentary calories ;_; *kicks rock*
  • starsandowls
    starsandowls Posts: 55 Member

I think you're putting a lot of psychological weight on food, and that might be something to think about. Food isn't really addictive the way nicotine and heroin are, and I think expecting any one thing to make you "feel fulfilled and happy" is setting yourself up for failure. There's no one way to eat healthy. It may take trial and error to find combinations that work for you, and over time, you'll have a set of go-to meals and snacks. But even if you managed to eat 2146 calories in a perfect 40/30/30 balance, I don't think that alone would make you, or anyone, "fulfilled and happy."

Instead of looking at this as a math problem, what do you *want* to eat? Let's pretend you have no goals, no requirement of eating "healthy," no real world constraints. What do you want to eat? Once you have that in mind, there are probably ways to fit in the things you truly enjoy eating or to adjust them a little to make them fit in. Denying yourself pleasure from food because the internet told you to eat cottage cheese and peanut butter is setting yourself up for failure because you're just going to make yourself miserable and fall off the wagon.

TL;DR: IIFYM isn't going to make you "fulfilled and happy"; getting actual pleasure from putting foods in your mouth will