I am supposed to eat 2146 healthy calories?...

Options
Ok, so I am going to try to eat more to weigh less while lifting and am sorting out my tdee (2683) and bmr (1731) and minus 20% which leaves me eating 2146 a day which is all good. However, when I am trying to sort out a day's food in really healthy ingredients and it is actually quite a lot of food if I am giving up unhealthy options! When eating processed crap that is really easy but I dont want to do that anymore... How are other people eating this much food and not feeling stuffed in the gym? What are you eating?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i follow IIFYM, so i am happy to eat processed crap if i need the extra cals!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    oh, and peanut butter... the answer to more calories is always peanut butter!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    Peanut butter, avocado, nuts, chicken, brown rice, yogurts,
    Just examples - I'm not sure where you draw the line at healthy :)
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

And cheese. And almonds. And walnuts.

Maybe not all together though.
  • bleweydgrl
    bleweydgrl Posts: 55
    Options
    OMG....I can eat peanut butter again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant! That has just made my day!
  • sjiektallgirl
    sjiektallgirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    nuts and fruit and little bits of snacks - every 2 hours. And peanut butter 15 min before workout
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Not all those calories need to be "healthy". Part of the fun of not starving yourself and eating more food is that you get more wiggle room to fit in the treats. I absolutely agree with peanut butter, nuts, avocados, oils, etc. But would also add ice cream to that list!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Set your macros to ensure you are getting adequate protein and fats in your diet. A commonly recommended split is 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats.

When planning a day's food, I've found it is easiest to plan protein intake first, after which the fats and carbs tend to fall into place. Aim to get as close to these macros as possible. You will find that it is usually necessary to include lean proteins and whole foods in order to keep the macros balanced, but there will also be room to enjoy whatever other foods you enjoy.

Many people also find it helps to look at the macros over the course of the week, rather than day to day.
  • caseythirteen
    Options
    And peanut butter 15 min before workout
    Why?
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

^^^^ this

plus cottage cheese, chicken, porridge, nuts there's plenty of good healthy foods with enough calories to fill the day, i'm on 3000 and i barely touch any crappy foods just to fill the day, sometimes i like to splurge but hey whats life without a little colour every now and then

my alternative to PBJ:
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
    Sunpat - Smooth Peanut Butter, 60 g 368 9 29 15 300 3
    Low Fat Cottage Cheese + Pineapple, 150 g 126 16 1 13 420 16
    Dark Rye Whole Grain Rye Crispbread, 4 136 27 0 4 120 1

Totals
    Calories - 630
    Carbs - 52
    Fat - 30
    Protein - 32
    Sodium - 840
    Sugar - 20

great mid morning snack
  • bleweydgrl
    Options
    Set your macros to ensure you are getting adequate protein and fats in your diet. A commonly recommended split is 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats.

When planning a day's food, I've found it is easiest to plan protein intake first, after which the fats and carbs tend to fall into place. Aim to get as close to these macros as possible. You will find that it is usually necessary to include lean proteins and whole foods in order to keep the macros balanced, but there will also be room to enjoy whatever other foods you enjoy.

Many people also find it helps to look at the macros over the course of the week, rather than day to day.

I have just set my macros to 40/30/30 and am trying to sort out a few days worth of food now hence the question. I thought I might have to resort to protein shakes. I did not really think about full fat cheese, peanut butter or nuts or avacados to be honest. Those things have been off my radar for a while now.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I have just set my macros to 40/30/30 and am trying to sort out a few days worth of food now hence the question. I thought I might have to resort to protein shakes. I did not really think about full fat cheese, peanut butter or nuts or avacados to be honest. Those things have been off my radar for a while now.

do you need protein or fat? the macros in a protein shake and peanut butter are rather different!
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    OMG....I can eat peanut butter again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant! That has just made my day!

Again? Well, welcome back, peanut butter!! Peanut butter can fit into any diet. Just weigh it out and you'll be fine. :flowerforyou:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Not all those calorie need to be "healthy". Part of the fun of not starving yourself and eating more food is that you get more wiggle room to fit in the treats. I absolutely agree with peanut butter, nuts, avocados, oils, etc. But would also add ice cream to that list!

^Talenti gelato, even.

Once your nutrient needs are met you don't get extra credit for getting more -Eric Helms. Hit your macro/micro targets and stop looking at food as good or bad! :D
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    There are lots of healthy, calorie dense foods. Anything that is the basis of a traditional cuisine:

Nuts, figs, dates
    Cheese, milk
    Beans, corn, rice, potatoes
    Bread

It doesn't take a lot of any of these to add 500 calories or so.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options

Cheese and walnuts are a great combination - not the almonds though (at the same time that is) :happy:
  • caseythirteen
    Options
    Not all those calorie need to be "healthy". Part of the fun of not starving yourself and eating more food is that you get more wiggle room to fit in the treats. I absolutely agree with peanut butter, nuts, avocados, oils, etc. But would also add ice cream to that list!

^Talenti gelato, even.

Once your nutrient needs are met you don't get extra credit for getting more -Eric Helms. Hit your macro/micro targets and stop looking at food as good or bad! :D
    ^^ This! It might take some time to adjust your mindset but it can also feel so good to realize that food is just food and with the right balance, you can enjoy all kinds of things.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

Cheese and walnuts are a great combination - not the almonds though (at the same time that is) :happy:

I was including peanut butter in that mix... pb&cheese does not sound too appealing... lol
    pb and almonds do, and pretty sure I had an amazing cheese and walnut chicken dish once... mmm... I need to look that up..
  • bleweydgrl
    Options

do you need protein or fat? the macros in a protein shake and peanut butter are rather different!

Are they? I have no idea about that...I am very newb at nutrition. At the moment I am just looking for healthy carb, fat and protein stuff to reach my calorie goal...I have another 860 calories to fit in today and they are supposed to be 90/27/70 carbs/fat/protein remaining. I think the problem is I don't really know how to sort that out except for plugging food in and seeing what it does to the macros and changing it if it doesnt fit properly.