Am I Only Exercising So That I Can Eat?

Hi guys, apologies in advance if this topic has already been discussed, but I would really appreciate some advice

I have around 10 lbs to lose to get down to my "happy weight", I can appreciate that this isn't a HUGE amount but weight loss is weight loss and it always requires hard work and dedication.

My issue is, I'm worried about my intentions/attitude to exercising. After inputting my info on MFP, the calorie in take it suggested for me is 1,200 which does feel very little, so I exercise in order to bump that number up each day - but is that healthy? At first I was thrilled at my motivation to work out, and now I'm worried I'm only exercising so that I can eat because I don't trust myself to stick to the calorie limit given.

A couple of times I've actually felt panicky at the thought of a change of routine where day's work out won't be possible.. Am I slipping into dangerous territory?

Lastly, weighing food and calorie counting is getting me down. I really want to lose the weight, but am starting to doubt whether the tight MFP method is for me..

Should I stick with it?

Please help

X

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    with only 10lbs why are you at 1200 calories???? Did you choose that or did you choose a high weekly weight loss goal?

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

1200 is the minimum MFP gives you...perhaps change your goal to 1/2lb a week.

As for your reason for exercise it perhaps is on a slippery slope because what happens when you hit goal weight? are you going to continue to exercise? Exercise isn't for weight loss really it's for health and fitness and if that isn't why you are doing it...yah I would wonder...

weighing food and counting calories ensures you are staying in goal...I am at maitenance and I still weigh and log to ensure I stay in goal and don't gain back...MFP isn't that tight of a method...it allows for extra calories etc...it's all in your personal choice and motivation.

Should you stick with it? if you want to lose the weight and keep it off yes.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    What Stef said...
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    First off - I have a lot to lose (25lbs gone probably another 35lbs to go) so my take may be slightly different.

I hated exercise - mostly because it was time consuming - I'm lazy and it hurt! I started walking to give hubby some company on his walks after we lost our dog. It was a job, not a pleasure and I certainly did only do it because it gave me more to eat. I started doing other exercise too to try and boost my fitness and give me more calories to eat. I am at 1200 because I am old (58) and VERY sedentary - I would struggle if I didn't eat half of what I supposedly burn in exercise.

Now it is different - I enjoy my walks and get grumpy if for any reason life gets in the way of my exercise. I love it that I feel stronger and fitter and although I feel a lot trimmer I am patiently waiting for when the mirror shows me something that doesn't make me flinch :wink:

Feeling fitter and stronger is brilliant though - so whatever your reasons for exercising - it's still worth doing!

As for logging your food - personal choice I guess, but something made you carry 10lbs more than you want to - perhaps logging and counting will help you readjust your portion controls.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    I felt similar to you when MFP put my calories at 1200. I was like...that's a joke, right? For me personally, that number is ridiculous but what I ended up doing was moving it up to 1270 and I burn a minimum of an additional 300 calories per day. I personally feel not deprived when I eat between 1400 and 1800. I took a look at my logs and found out that my average of calories eaten per day is 1545 and my average workout calories are 495. So basically, if I didn't work out, I could not eat near as much as I feel comfortable with, and what works for me. In the beginning, the working out to eat more was a great motivation, then I kind of became obsessed with working out for a while, and now I'm at a point where I just really enjoy working out. I do kind of freak out on days (weekends) when I am unable to workout as much as I want or need to. The weekends always fall apart for me but despite that, I've been successful at losing about 2 lbs per week. Logging food also weighed me down pretty heavily a couple of weeks ago. I considered not doing it for a while, but I just couldn't give it up- It's become a habit, just like my exercise has. I would have to say these habits are much healthier than not doing them, so I don't see the harm. The bottom line is losing weight, restricting calories and food, working out...these can all be very emotional things. They are for me anyway. It's not surprising that you're worried and having these reservations. I think we all do to some degree when we start, or even throughout our journey. I've been doing this for a year and I still have my freak outs. I'm sure others will give you some better ideas about the amount of calories you should actually be eating. I do think 1200 is just not user friendly. Good luck!
  • filoula
    filoula Posts: 17 Member
    I think it's a great attitude! I used to hate exercising but MFP lets me add my exercise and reward me with calories, which motivates me. This is only good though if the extra calories you're eating are good calories. If you're doing it to have a chocolate bar a day or whatever it is a bit pointless.

Please do stick with MFP, I've been using it for almost 2 years and I love it. Yes it requires a bit of commitment but the results are great! Good luck with your 10lbs!xxx
  • mbkSTRONG
    mbkSTRONG Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks so much for the comments

I just changed my weight loss goal to 0.5lbs a week and now my calorie in take is a far more manageable 1430. I'll need to adjust my outlook on exercise too as I do genuinely enjoy it and love that post-workout feeling, I'll try and remember that when exercising instead of just using it as a means to burn cals in order to eat more. I still intend to exercise regularly after losing, as a permanent lifestyle choice.

I think the reason weighing food is getting me down is because I'm the only one in my family doing it and feeling a little bit of the outsider
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    I have about 10-15 pounds to lose, and I'm starting at a healthy weight. mfp has me at 1200 pre day as well, for a loss of 0.9 lbs per week.

My method is usually to do cardio to bump the number up a bit, but also if I have a day when I don't have time for my workout, I just don't stress if I go over by 100-200 calories. You're problem seems to be that you're stressing out too hard about going over a bit.
    With only 10 pounds to lose and at only 1200 cals per day, it's really okay to go over a bit on days you're not doing cardio. Your TDEE is probably anywhere from 1400-1700, so you'll still be either in calorie deficit or eating at maintenance if you hit 1300-1400 net cals on some days.
  • brookemart81
    brookemart81 Posts: 62 Member
    I had 15 to lose and MFP calculated my calories at 1430 to lose 1 lb a week. It was manageable- I could stick to those calories on rest days and eat more on exercise days and I didn't feel very deprived. After almost 2 months and 8 lbs, things seemed to stall out for me so I recalculated and it told me 1300. NOPE! That's not enough for me, so I changed by goal to a more realistic .5 lb per week. Now I get 1600! Yesterday I did a killer 25 mile bike ride so I got to eat 2000. This is more like it!

I don't think there's anything wrong with working out purely so you can eat more sometimes. Sure, sometimes you're doing it for the love of whatever activity it is, or for that awesome post workout feeling, or for the challenge or sense of accomplishment. But exercise isn't always fun and I don't think it requires an unhealthy attitude to admit that. I think finding the activities you do actually enjoy is going to benefit you as a part of developing a healthy lifestyle- but if you find yourself dragging yourself to the gym a few times a week purely in the service of weight loss that's really not the worst thing in the world.