Struggling, Need support, and advice.

Options
Hello everyone,
I have been trying to loose my weight for the longest time. I am struggling in the area of keeping the weight off. I will loose my ten pounds easy but then gain it all back easily to. I have never droped pass my ten pounds. I do so well the first few weeks and then I go back into my bad habbits. It's almost as if I should have someone like Juillian Mciahels staying at my house screaming at me everytime or taking the food away from me and throwing it in trash. I know what I eat is bad for me. I am not suppose to eat gluten or any dairy products. When I do I get into lots pain. I sometimes forget this and then I remember it when the pain comes and ask myself why.
If any of you struggle just like I do or have at one point of time and pushed through. I would love all the feedback I can get.

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    One day when your truly ready to change your lifestyle, it will happen for you. But that has to come from within yourself.
  • Lizzie4942
    Lizzie4942 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That's what's hard I really truely want this. I keep having set backs.
  • pjarellano
    pjarellano Posts: 18
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. You are not alone. Here are a few tricks that seem to of helped me.
    One of the most important is do things that will help you see results and relapse. By that I mean actually look in a mirror every day. Also get rid of clothing that becomes loose on you. Keeping loose clothing is like giving yourself a out. If you have to wear tight clothes, you will do one of two things. Change what you are eating and exercise. Or go out and buy bigger clothes. The point is your clothes will tell you when you gain a couple pounds back. That is a much easier place to gain control of what you are doing.
    Two: Before you even go to the store, make a list. I don't care if you are running in a hurry. How long does it take to write a few things down. If you don't buy crap there isn't crap to eat. And ALWAYS shop from the walls of the store in. At least 75% of your shopping should be from the walls of the store. In other words non-processed. Think about the lay out of any food store. Fruits/Veggies in one corner, Deli/Meat along the back wall, Dairy back wall, get the picture? Middle isle usually hold all the processed crap.
    Three: eat things like tuna salad. If you need a sandwich use sandwich thins not bread. If you must eat bread use low calorie bread. And whole wheat isn't always whole wheat. And latest studies show it many not be the cure all.
    Four: This is big. No Carbonated drinks. Carbonated flavored waters are not the answer either. Imagine filling a balloon half way with carbonated anything. What would happen to the other half of the balloon? Yep you got it. The gas expands the entire balloon. And what happens to the balloon? It never goes back down to it's original size. What do you think happens to your stomach?
    Five: Most important, Tell yourself every morning "I am worth the time and effort to get this right. Every year I get older, and every year it will be harder. So today is the best day."
    You are the difference. It is o.k. to say no to friends and family. I don't care who's birthday it is, you aren't going to change their world by eating a piece of cake. I just tell the host before I even go to the gathering. I am going to stop by, but I request you not even ask me if I would like a piece of cake. It is much easier to say no without seeing it in the first place. Also if you have a partner. Ask them not to go to Starbucks, Dairy Queen or fast food. If you must eat out. Go sit down and make good choices. And don't look for full. Look for not hungry. Slowly you will find you are eating less by the nature of eating until you are not hungry. It will take less and less food to get there.
    I hope some of this will help you. I have worked really hard to loose 30 plus pounds. I still have 30 to go.
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    What are you struggling with: emotional eating, choosing a more filing food, or portion size? Here's a link that helps me. I made a commitment to myself to stay on plan for a year, no matter what. It helps to journal the step to getting healthy. I also save 150 calories for dessert, so I don't feel deprived. Are you setting yourself up to fail as of keeping your calorie allowance too low. Start with losing one pound per week, that's 52 pounds per year. Baby steps. You can do this! When I started I was having craving to eat large amount of food (any food), I would stick a piece of gum in mouth and ride it out. It does get better.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    I can try to be there and be supportive through the good and bad times. Sent a FR your way :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. Perhaps focus on small steps. One meal at a time, one day at a time, then one week at a time. We all have setbacks, but you can trying.

Would it help you for just a few weeks to have pretty standard meals you go to? That way you don't have to think about eating. Every week add another new meal or two so that over time you have a good repertoire of go-to, healthy recipes that work?
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Yep. I said I "really wanted to lose" for years too, but I was just talking the talk. It takes discipline and forming new habits to begin to walk the walk. Eating gluten when you know it causes you pain is just one example. Determine what your setbacks are and then work to get them out of your way.

When you are ready to lose the weight, you will. It will be your purpose. It will be important enough that you will no longer let excuses get in your way.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

every single thing you put in your mouth is YOUR CHOICE.... whether you exercise or not each day is YOUR CHOICE....
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.
    -Wayne Dyer

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR to read the link right above then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Log all of your food! I looked at your diary and not much is there. If you will keep track of what you eat (yes, even if you go over!) you can get better advice from the forum. For example, the pizza rolls probably weren't the best choice. Maybe have 1 and add tuna to that salad for lunch instead. (avoid the processed foods as much as possible!) Also, only having a granola bar for breakfast sets you up to overeat at lunch. Vow to log everything for a week, and maybe give yourself a little reward each week (not food) for just logging even if you go over. Hold yourself accountable for your choices!
  • StarPlatinumORA
    StarPlatinumORA Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. You are not alone. Here are a few tricks that seem to of helped me.
    One of the most important is do things that will help you see results and relapse. By that I mean actually look in a mirror every day. Also get rid of clothing that becomes loose on you. Keeping loose clothing is like giving yourself a out. If you have to wear tight clothes, you will do one of two things. Change what you are eating and exercise. Or go out and buy bigger clothes. The point is your clothes will tell you when you gain a couple pounds back. That is a much easier place to gain control of what you are doing.
    Two: Before you even go to the store, make a list. I don't care if you are running in a hurry. How long does it take to write a few things down. If you don't buy crap there isn't crap to eat. And ALWAYS shop from the walls of the store in. At least 75% of your shopping should be from the walls of the store. In other words non-processed. Think about the lay out of any food store. Fruits/Veggies in one corner, Deli/Meat along the back wall, Dairy back wall, get the picture? Middle isle usually hold all the processed crap.
    Three: eat things like tuna salad. If you need a sandwich use sandwich thins not bread. If you must eat bread use low calorie bread. And whole wheat isn't always whole wheat. And latest studies show it many not be the cure all.
    Four: This is big. No Carbonated drinks. Carbonated flavored waters are not the answer either. Imagine filling a balloon half way with carbonated anything. What would happen to the other half of the balloon? Yep you got it. The gas expands the entire balloon. And what happens to the balloon? It never goes back down to it's original size. What do you think happens to your stomach?
    Five: Most important, Tell yourself every morning "I am worth the time and effort to get this right. Every year I get older, and every year it will be harder. So today is the best day."
    You are the difference. It is o.k. to say no to friends and family. I don't care who's birthday it is, you aren't going to change their world by eating a piece of cake. I just tell the host before I even go to the gathering. I am going to stop by, but I request you not even ask me if I would like a piece of cake. It is much easier to say no without seeing it in the first place. Also if you have a partner. Ask them not to go to Starbucks, Dairy Queen or fast food. If you must eat out. Go sit down and make good choices. And don't look for full. Look for not hungry. Slowly you will find you are eating less by the nature of eating until you are not hungry. It will take less and less food to get there.
    I hope some of this will help you. I have worked really hard to loose 30 plus pounds. I still have 30 to go.

I think you are giving some great advice, but I am not certain you're right regarding carbonated drinks - I don't think your body works like that re trapped gas, it would hurt much more if so. Some people don't tolerate them well, but if they're sugar free, I find them to be a big help to at least feeling a little more full for a while. Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you have too much fizzy stuff, you're going to know about it... :laugh:
  • hkied
    hkied Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    They say it takes 21 days to make a new habbit, If you are like me you dont get that far...... but it is worth a try and so are all of these other great replies!
  • KaySaver
    KaySaver Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Start counting your calories now before you reduce your daily calorie intake. It was an eye opener for me. I tracked all my calories for two weeks before switching to what I do now. It was incredible to see just how much I was eating and at what time of the day I was eating everything. Eating at night was the hardest thing to change and I still get cravings.
    The best thing I did was clean out the kitchen and get rid of everything that was empty calories. I also made up healthy snacks ready to go for those times in between meals.
    I pretty much just told myself that I am doing this. I didn't wait to start or start on a Monday, or the beginning of a month, I told myself that I have to change and I am the only one who can do it, and its got to start now.
    I struggle because of my family and what they want to eat or when they bring junk food home. I just tell myself that its fat in a bag, and I am not going to eat fat anymore. I am not going to be fat anymore. I am taking the fat suit off.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm about at the end of my usual diet run. I do good for a month or so and then I slip up. Right now I'm not focusing on "healthy" food. I'm trying to see what I can get away with within my calories for the day.

So If I don't feel like veggies and salad, I will find the lowest calorie yummy treat I can find and have at it. Right now it's dessert shells with cool whip. I know I'm not eating healthy right now, but I don't feel deprived and I can stay below my calories.

I do eat veggies but I'm not cutting out the stuff I like, because as soon as I reach my weight goal I know I'm going to want to eat things I like and if I can't manage to keep my calories down I'll gain everything right back.

I rather learn how much I can eat of the stuff I know I'll end up eating than just eat veggies and lean meat for 6 months,.. loose the weight, get sick of veggies and lean meat and gain it all back.

Logging everything (the good and the bad) has given me a much better feel for what I was doing wrong before.
  • amazon62goddess
    amazon62goddess Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I hope you are doing OK...I completely feel your pain. I am super impatient myself :noway: but I have had to adjust my expectations in this area.

I have lost about 23lbs since I really kicked my cardio and strength fitness into gear in November 2013. It feels like it's taking forever, HOWEVER; good things take time!

I was fed up with the yo-yo dieting and low self esteem, so I have changed my way of thinking:

1. This effort, all this work, sweat, pain, habitual food tracking...it's all a life style change. I'm not doing this for a quick fix, I'm doing this to extend my life span and be as healthy as possible.

2. Stop focusing on the numbers! I weigh myself 1-2 times a month at the most...it's easy to get discouraged when you're staring at a scale (especially as a female - if we get caught in the rain or drink a beer, it adds 10lbs lol). The thing is, when you do the right stuff, your body responds positively. Side note: I'd rather weigh more if I know it's because of more muscle!!

3. Identify an exercise routine that helps keep you motivated. I am a Gemini so I need lots of things going on to keep my interest, even with exercise. I do many different hings from walking (with or without my dogs), jogging (when I feel like it!), Xbox Fitness sessions (cardio kickboxing, Insanity, Zumba, & P90X just to name a few!). Remember, I couldn't always do this level of physical activity and it took many months for my body to respond positively. Just take it slow, but make it fun!! You're more likely to stick with it if you enjoy what you're doing. Whenever I felt like I didn't want to work out, I either sucked it up and felt better about doing the workout OR I just made peace and decided to try again the next day (same attitude with diet - If I have a 'bad' day, oh well, tomorrow is another day!)

4. Lastly, I stopped comparing myself to everyone else. Sure, I admire everyone that has accomplished what they set out to do, but I am no longer comparing their journey to mine (this is another good way to get discouraged!!). I am unique!!! You are unique and you should only do what works for you.

Anyway, I'm off my soap box...I hope it helps you at least a little bit. Feel free to add me as a friend, if you like! I'm a daily logger and habitual tracker of food and activities.:glasses:

Good luck!

Stephanie :drinker:
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I will loose my ten pounds easy but then gain it all back easily" have never droped pass my ten pounds.

My guess is that you were eating at an unsustainable calorie deficit to get that "easy" (by which I assume you mean quick) ten pound loss. Eat more. Slow and steady wins this race.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options

Yep. I said I "really wanted to lose" for years too, but I was just talking the talk. It takes discipline and forming new habits to begin to walk the walk. Eating gluten when you know it causes you pain is just one example. Determine what your setbacks are and then work to get them out of your way.

When you are ready to lose the weight, you will. It will be your purpose. It will be important enough that you will no longer let excuses get in your way.

Exactly this. People who successfully lose weight make the decision and commitment and then they make it happen. Motivation isn't required to be successful, commitment is.

http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/fitness-motivation/
  • drattedfatbody52
    Options
    Dear Lizzie4942,

This negative cycle that you are falling into is the reason why I have a little food/diet/exercise journal. While I write about what I am doing w/ my diet and exercise, I am mostly writing about my feelings at the time of whatever is going on w/ me whether I'm happy or sad or scared or tired or frustrated or angry so that those feelings don't get in the way of my doing what I need to do to achieve my goals.

Occasionally, I gather some real insight into myself and have been able to change how I deal or approach things.

I don't have all the answers but coupled with consultation with your doctor and blood work results, you should be able to learn enough about yourself from these two sources to move past this 10 lb barrier.

This has worked for me, I hope whatever you choose to pursue leads to your success.

drattedfatbody52
  • 1JenMilam
    1JenMilam Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had a bunch of false starts before it all clicked. Just keep at it and try not to be mad at yourself. One thing if you stop thinking of it as a diet it takes a lot of pressue off. A diet has an end and a lifestyle does not.

I'm struggling with maintenance so know that you aren't alone :happy:
  • joetito1
    joetito1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a bunch of false starts before it all clicked. Just keep at it and try not to be mad at yourself. One thing if you stop thinking of it as a diet it takes a lot of pressue off. A diet has an end and a lifestyle does not.

I'm struggling with maintenance so know that you aren't alone :happy:

I couldn't agree more with this. Everyone likes to consider loosing weight and eating right a 'diet', but that's the way you should be eating all the time, not just for a few weeks to drop a couple pounds. Eating right and exercise needs to become part of who you are, and part of your life style, in order for you to be successful. Otherwise, you'll continue to see this negative feedback loop where you drop a few pounds during your 'diet' and it comes right back when you stop. If you stop 'dieting' and eating the same crappy foods again, of course the weight is going to come back.

Also, don't beat yourself up for slip ups. In fact, you should allow yourself a couple 'cheat' meals during the week, it'll help you stay sane.