had 2 days of bad bingeing, feeling guilty

Options
so i didn't binge for a month but on saturday i ended up bingeing, hoping that it would boost my metabolism but i only fely guilty. i ate around 4000 calories in total. on sunday i was good, ate healthy and went for a strenuous run. yesterday i was bad again. my mum brought sweets and i ended up having a big cookie and felt guilty so i thought why not blow it. i had 3 big cookies then in the evening i had 2 sandwiches with cheese and salami, like 15-20 crackers (they were like 30 cals each), a small packet of breadsticks (85 cals) and some mango (not so unhealthy).I feel so guilty and i woke up feeling dreadful. I'm scared these two days have ruined everything! ive been so good this month! even though i dont look like i've gained weight i cant look at myself and i feel fat.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    thats nothing, i went on an eating and drinking rampage this weekend. probably gained 3 or 4 lbs of fat, no exaggeration.

but it doesnt matter, just keep trucking. they havent ruined anything if you truly feel guilty about it and are willing to continue forward
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Just plow forward! Beating yourself up over it will only drag you down.

I am not a big binge eater myself but we all have our moments...this weekend I was on a trip with my husband and sitting out a rainstorm in Dunkin Donuts convinced myself to eat a second and third. It happens.
  • smc0170
    smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It was the holiday weekend, and one of the first big outdoor grilling/eating weekends. Don't worry about it.

Just get back onto it today.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    It happens. Re focus and go. No need to wallow in it.

Yesterday's a cancelled check, tomorrow a promissory note, TODAY is the only legal tender you can spend.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My advice is to rethink your approach to dieting. A cookie can absolutely fit in your day, and it doesn't mean that you 'already blew it' at all. It's with that kind of thinking that you end up binging... If it fits in your calories, it's fine, even if it's a cookie... don't feel guilty about that. If you restrict yourself too much and punish yourself every time you're having a treat, you won't be able to sustain this... it's a lifestyle change. Do you plan on forbidding yourself to eat cookies forever? If not, don't feel guilty... just make room for them.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    My advice is to rethink your approach to dieting. A cookie can absolutely fit in your day, and it doesn't mean that you 'already blew it' at all. It's with that kind of thinking that you end up binging... If it fits in your calories, it's fine, even if it's a cookie... don't feel guilty about that. If you restrict yourself too much and punish yourself every time you're having a treat, you won't be able to sustain this... it's a lifestyle change. Do you plan on forbidding yourself to eat cookies forever? If not, don't feel guilty... just make room for them.

Unless you ate the whole batch and I misunderstood...I agree with this! A cookie is fine if it fits in your calorie count. I eat ice cream every freaking day!
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I would guess a lot of us overdid it this weekend...myself included. I'm just looking at today as a new day/week and I'm going to move on.
  • kaylatee0
    kaylatee0 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I’m no expert, but I have successfully been binge free for quite awhile now.
    hoping that it would boost my metabolism

This^ is something that I used to tell myself to BS my way into justifying a binge. I mean really, today, in a normal state of mind (as in, not in a binging mood) do you really think that that is the appropriate action to take to “boost your metabolism”.. do you actually believe that? Probably not, because in that moment, you are just lying to yourself to try and feel better about what you are going to do.

One of the most valuable things I’ve learned while in therapy for BED is to stop trying to work against your own mind. Kind of a confusing statement, but basically forget the food, what kind of food, if it’s good food or bad food etc.. but focus on identifying when you are starting to lie to yourself and start justifying a binge. “It’s just one day”, “if I get it out of my system now I wouldn’t have to think about it tomorrow”, “screw it I’ve done a good job for a whole month”, “it’s not like I’m going to undo all my progress in one night”

Instead, if you start thinking those thoughts, tell yourself the truth “I’m going to binge, and then I’m going to be up all night mad at myself and holding my stomach, and tomorrow I’m going to feel like S**** and probably skip the gym because I don’t want to move move. Then, I’m going to spend a week re-writing my diet and exercise plan for the week to try and undo the work that I’ve done”

It’s a matter of getting real with yourself, and it’s working for me :)
  • LazyBearGrrr
    LazyBearGrrr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't like the "today's a new day" and "refocus and get back on track" kind of mentality. I think it implies that you did something wrong. Enjoy your fun weekend with good foods, and even start looking forward to the next time. Don't think of what you did on one day as bad. Think about what those calories will average out to over the many years it should take to lose and maintain a healthy body weight. A few treats amounts to nothing...not even a blip. Enjoy those special moments where you get to enjoy yourself, and lose the guilt :-)
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I just blame it on Memorial Day weekend. I went out Saturday and drank about 15 beers on the golf course and yesterday we had a cookout and had several more throughout the day, including some bourbon.

I was at the gym at 6am this morning before work. Just have to put it behind you and move forward.